Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Congrats. What was the final cost of the upgrade?
Correct switch on Ebay ran me $280. That's all!

However, i'm not sure if certain steering wheels will not work with this upgrade as i understand there is a vibration motor in some of the wheels such as A8 but can't confirm for sure.

The C7 A6 apparently has the vibration motor built into steering system.

Obviously VagCom needs to be purchased or borrowed.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 02-21-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for posting the DIY! I am so doing this!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be super interested in knowing if the mod works with the non sport wheel without the paddle shifters.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by diddlyv
Would be super interested in knowing if the mod works with the non sport wheel without the paddle shifters.
Will work with any wheel as long as you have electromechanical power steering.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now that I've finished adding active lane assist, I thought I'd post few photos of the activated feature in action.

Loving the feature, but finding it does have it's little quirks. Car does want to pull to right onto offramp when when passing offramp. But it's light steering input that you can overcome. Find that weird as I thought it's supposed to keep you away from encroaching on lane markings and not follow them. Weird.

If I let go of steering wheel and let car bounce off the lane markings for few seconds, I get the message in last photo. So it makes sure you keep your hands on the wheel. I understand this feature is mean to assist, not to fully drive vehicle for you. That's kewl.

Pic1. Green lane assist icon at top indicating car's identified lane markings.

Pic2. Little hard to tell, but right side lane red when i crosed over intentionally when it was safe just so I could take photo. The steering wheel vibrated, yay!

Pic3. Rockin the adaptive cruise, but the lane assist indicator yellow meaning it could not identify lane markings at moment so feature paused.

Pic4. Steering Menu shows Lane assist option but this only switches dashboard display to ACC/Lane Assist graphic. Does NOT activate Lane assist. That is done though column switch.

Pic5. Warning message if you take your hands off wheel for too many seconds.
Attached Images      

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-21-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Correct switch on Ebay ran me $280. That's all!

However, i'm not sure if certain steering wheels will not work with this upgrade as i understand there is a vibration motor in some of the wheels. So there may be a possibility of needing to upgrade the steering wheel. Mine was already changed to a high-end 3-spoke. I've seen steering wheels run $500-$1800 on Ebay.

Obviously VagCom needs to be purchased or borrowed.

Thank you Chris.
But what about the camera?

BTW do you still live around Pomona? (PR area) if so I might have seen your car/you around :-p
Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vodka G
But what about the camera?

BTW do you still live around Pomona? (PR area) if so I might have seen your car/you around :-p
Whhhaaaaaat? you had an IknowHuh sighting?
Probably so, I've only seen one other black A6's in neighborhood so chances are 50/50 it was me. If you hear constant blower whine from the car then yup, that's me!

There's two types of installs. Those for cars that have adaptive cruise already installed and all you need is the column switch. That process is in this thread.

The other is harder install on cars without adaptive cruise. Cars without ACC will require column switch, the windhield replaced and windshield camera added. Also requires camera control module and all the wiring to be added. That process is described by Mrclopec on a Q5 in following thread. Note that some of his part numbers are specific to Q5 but parts description should be same.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-done-2886241/

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-05-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Whhhaaaaaat? you had an IknowHuh sighting?
Probably so, I've only seen one other black A6's in neighborhood so chances are 50/50 it was me. If you hear constant blower whine from the car then yup, that's me!

There's two types of installs. Those for cars that have adaptive cruise already installed and all you need is the column switch. That process is in this thread.

The other is harder install on cars without adaptive cruise. Cars without ACC will require column switch, the windhield replaced and windshield camera added. Also requires camera control module and all the wiring to be added. That process is described by Mrclopec on a Q5 in following thread. Note that some of his part numbers are specific to Q5 but parts description should be same.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-done-2886241/
Ah! So it will be a PITA if I want to retrofit (since I don't have ACC)

Yeah there are only a few A6 around here Prestige with LED, I have a dark gray Prestige LEDs on stock 19in, but I am usually in my Volt :-)
Old 11-09-2015, 03:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out you can activate it via this button or also with steering wheel menu button.
Does that indicate you dont need the new stalk ?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by soft
Does that indicate you dont need the new stalk ?
As shown in the earlier how-to step by step post you will need the whole stalk assembly called the "combo switch" which replaces the existing stalks. If you don't have ACC, as noted you will also need more components like the windshield camera and camera module.

COMBO SWITCH | Genuine Audi | 4G8-953-502-P-4PK

Quick Reply: A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit