Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by zeab
Wow, just did the mod and worked like a champ. Got the new switch from ebay in Poland of all places and arrived in perfect shape. Just swapped my clock spring to the new switch and followed the instructions on enabling it. My car is a 2013 a6 prestige and already had ACC so the decision was a fairly simple one. Love the new feature and look forward to using it long term.
RIGHT ON!
Old 12-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I have been playing with it for a little while and here are my observations. Overall, I kinda enjoy it and find it useful but not really something you would want to count on. Now, understand that I am enjoying this new found feature so nothing here should be considered a complaint, only what I have noted while using it. I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced this whether via the retrofit or from the factory.

Observations.
When the car is nudging you in the direction it thinks you need to go, it is definitely not overwhelming and you are the one ultimately in control. The wheel is more like making a suggestion than a demand.

When coming out of turns, the car seems to want to stay in the turn longer than I do. While straightening the wheel as I come out of the curve, the car is definitely suggesting I stay in the turn longer.

It does not work on unmarked roads. If you were thinking of it helping out on an unmarked blacktop country road, not going to work.

It sometimes has a hard time with central Illinois roads. It will be green for a while and without warning it goes yellow. In it's defense, the lines are not the best where I live so cutting it a little slack here.

The distance from the marked lines it allows varies from trip to trip. I have seen it nudge you back into the center of the lane when you are more than a foot and a half from the line and other times not until you are literally on the line. I see this on the same road and not quite sure what the variable is.

Just because the indicator is green doesn't mean it will assist. On a simple divided highway, I have seen it let me cross the line with no assist at all even though it was green. On a different day, at the same location, it would push you back before you even get close to the line. See comment before this one.

If you find a nice straight road and get the car to run down the middle without touching the wheel, it will eventually complain that you need to take over even though it has not made any corrections itself. My guess is it monitors your movements and not necessarily how much it is really needing to do.

Forcing it to cross a line does not always make the steering wheel vibrate. Basically setting up a lazy lane change will sometimes invoke a vibration and sometimes it won't. This is of course when it is attempting to assist with keeping you in your lane.

On a 6 lane interstate, that's 3 lanes in one direction, heading down the middle lane, it got into a situation that seemed like it didn't like being in the middle and initially nudged me one direction then the other. This has only happened once and obviously NOT creating a dangerous situation.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello to all you guys.

Sorry if my English is bad, because it is not my native language, but I will try my best.

I just registered on this forum to share with you what I found out, because this thread helped me to activate lane assist and I fugured out how to activate it without buying new Steering Column so I feel responsible to share this with you.

First you need to check for all installed modules and do coding described in the #10 post of this thread.
All you need to do next is to do some adaptations to the 8E Channel:

1. Access 8E-Image Processing>07 Security Access>Enter code:20103
2. Access 8E-Image Processing>10 Adaptation>Steering wheel vibraton>activated
3. Access 8E-Image Processing>10 Adaptation>Steering assistance active>activated

After that you will get yellow lane assist symbol in the instrument panel and it should turn green after the speed will exceed 60 km/h and when the street lines will be recognized and your steering wheel will start to steer/vibrate.

I am driving an audi A7 2010 and it works like a charm.

In the adaptation of the 8E channel you also have some settings for the intensity of steering wheel vibration and corrections.

The only bad thing about this mod is, that lane assist will be activeted all the time and you can turn it off only with the vag com, but I think it is still better then spend money for new steering column.

I guess this is my christmas gift to all of you.

Have a nice day
Old 12-22-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

divxman, welcome! This is great info!!

My car has the feature already, so I don't suppose I need to mess with this, but this is awesome! I haven't seen (though I haven't looked) for intensity settings of the vibration, but those could be really cool adjustments. Can you document anything you know about these adjustments in VAGCOM?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes it is no problem. You can do this by:

First go to: Access 8E-Image Processing>07 Security Access>Enter code:20103
Then go to: Access 8E-Image Processing>10 Adaptation

Here you can select various settings from the list of channels:
Deactivating threshold driver activity
Steering wheel vibration intensity

And so on...

I think that here you can also activate traffic sign recognition, but this security code, that I provided did not let me modify channels from this list regarding to traffic sign recognition. If someone have the securty code for this channels please share it.

I can provide more specific intruction tomorow when I will connect to my car and see direct channel names from the list.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Note that traffic sign recognition won't work in North America.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great find. Question: If ALA is always on, does it mean the ALA diagram is always shown in DIS, or can I toggle between the screens (e.g. switch between ALA and say Active Cruise Control)?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Note that traffic sign recognition won't work in North America.
Is this known for fact even if someone can hack the security code?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Is this known for fact even if someone can hack the security code?
Even if it could be VAG activated (and I'm not sure any necessary hardware/software exists in NA and in 4 years of C7's, I've not read where anyone has done it), US signs are completely different from Euro signs so I can't imagine how it could recognize them.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by divxman
Hello to all you guys.

I just registered on this forum to share with you what I found out, because this thread helped me to activate lane assist and I fugured out how to activate it without buying new Steering Column so I feel responsible to share this with you....
Welcome and Awesome, thank you for helping us learn more.
This is GREAT way for members with windshield camera to take lane assist for a test drive and see if they like the feature before spending time and money on the stalk for activation.

I've only used system for past few months but I definitely want to be able to turn off the feature... having it constantly on would be annoying on the roads I travel where it tends to jerk me around lanes on occasion based on road conditions, not the system itself (my opinion).

Thank you so much. You've made many potential users much happier by allowing them a preview, or if wanted... full activation without an off-switch.

And Happy Holidays to you as well.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 12-22-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit