Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 and a baby seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Taktix1
fdot, thanks for the pics! the back seat seems kinda tight with that baby seat there. Is there good enough room? Like I said, trying to convince the wife that a baby seat would fit fine in the back lol.
Just tell the wife its either the A6 or a minivan
Seriously, with the full size baby seat in the back, a 6 ft+ passenger in the front will be somewhat uncomfortable.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some thoughts

This is a topic I know something about. I previously owned a business that sold and installed car seats. There are very few, and I mean very few sedans in the world where a rear facing car seat can fit in the back without making the front passenger somewhat cramped. A properly installed seat must lean back sufficiently to have the child's back at a 45 degree angle. When that is the case, there are not too many cars or even midsize SUVs where the car seat can be in the back and a 6 foot person could sit comfortably in front of it. This in fact is why so many car seats are improperly installed, and also why you see so many parents riding in the back beside their infant while their spouse drives and the passenger seat is empty. The infant car seat (bucket) will be doable. The rear facing (convertible) car seat will be tougher, again doable if your wife is short. Not great if she is tall. But take solace in the fact that unless you are going minivan the other candidates are not much better or worse. By the way, many large SUVs have the same problem too. Merecdes GL, Volvo XC 90 are too examples of popula high end SUVS with very little car seat room in 2nd row.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fdot
here are two pics, sorry my car is so dirty
By the way, I don't mean to criticize, but to my eye (and I apologize if I am reading the pic wrong) this is not what I would call a proper installation and I certainly would not have allowed my installers to release this vehicle had it been my business that installed it. The two things I see: 1. The child's seat incline looks closer to 60 degrees that 45 at least to my eye, and second, the back of the front seat touching the child seat is a no no. Again, these are common things, and many people do it precisely so their front seat is useable. I am not judging. Merely providing my thoughts as someone with some experience in the field.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '01 A6 and had car seat in the back fine. I would recommend using the middle seat for any car seat, as it is the safest place in the car for a child. That might also give more room for the front seats.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petero1818
This is a topic I know something about. I previously owned a business that sold and installed car seats. There are very few, and I mean very few sedans in the world where a rear facing car seat can fit in the back without making the front passenger somewhat cramped. A properly installed seat must lean back sufficiently to have the child's back at a 45 degree angle. When that is the case, there are not too many cars or even midsize SUVs where the car seat can be in the back and a 6 foot person could sit comfortably in front of it. This in fact is why so many car seats are improperly installed, and also why you see so many parents riding in the back beside their infant while their spouse drives and the passenger seat is empty. The infant car seat (bucket) will be doable. The rear facing (convertible) car seat will be tougher, again doable if your wife is short. Not great if she is tall. But take solace in the fact that unless you are going minivan the other candidates are not much better or worse. By the way, many large SUVs have the same problem too. Merecdes GL, Volvo XC 90 are too examples of popula high end SUVS with very little car seat room in 2nd row.
great information, thanks a lot!!

Originally Posted by A6ljr
I had an '01 A6 and had car seat in the back fine. I would recommend using the middle seat for any car seat, as it is the safest place in the car for a child. That might also give more room for the front seats.
I swear I remember reading somewhere that infant car seats should not be in the middle, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Taktix1
great information, thanks a lot!!

I swear I remember reading somewhere that infant car seats should not be in the middle, correct me if I'm wrong.

All things being equal, the middle seat in the back is the safest spot for a car seat, primarily because there is an air cushion on a side impact. However, there are a few reasons why it is not possible or desirable for most.

1. When rear facing, if in the middle, it may make it impossible for a reasonably tall driver to adjust his seat far enough back. It is one thing for the passenger to be uncomfortable. It is quite another for both seats to be inconvenienced.

2. Many cars, including the A6 have latches in the 2 outboard positions but not in the middle. While you can still install using the seat belts, it is more difficult to do correctly.

3. Many cars have a big hump in the middle seat which makes installation more difficult.

4. Lastly, securing a child into a car seat is hard on the back, particularly in a sedan as opposed to an SUV. This task gets way more difficult if the seat is in the middle, imagine bending over and getting into position in order to secure the straps and adjust them. Easier the closer the child is to the door.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Petero1818
By the way, I don't mean to criticize, but to my eye (and I apologize if I am reading the pic wrong) this is not what I would call a proper installation and I certainly would not have allowed my installers to release this vehicle had it been my business that installed it. The two things I see: 1. The child's seat incline looks closer to 60 degrees that 45 at least to my eye, and second, the back of the front seat touching the child seat is a no no. Again, these are common things, and many people do it precisely so their front seat is useable. I am not judging. Merely providing my thoughts as someone with some experience in the field.
The angle looks wrong in the pic, mayb e cause someone was sitting in the front and pushed the seat back to make more room but when the baby is in the car, the seat moves up and I make sure no one touches it