Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 C7 is nose heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A6 C7 is nose heavy?

Is it me or you also noticed that our C7s are nose heavy. During turns my car exhibits substantial understeer and I really feel that the front is very heavy. Even camry is does not feel so nose heavy. After the sharp turn it is hard to keep the car in the same lane, it just understeers dramatically. This is my first Audi and I just wanted to know your perspective on this issue. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty much all Quattros are nose-heavy because the engine is required to be ahead of the wheel center-line.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Pretty much all Quattros are nose-heavy because the engine is required to be ahead of the wheel center-line.
Well, I wouldn't say required to be ahead, since plenty of 4WD vehicles don't have the engine ahead of the front axle. I suspect it's because Audi prefers longitudinal engine orientation, and keeping the engine ahead of the front axle makes driving the front wheels simpler mechanically.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Is it me or you also noticed that our C7s are nose heavy. During turns my car exhibits substantial understeer and I really feel that the front is very heavy. Even camry is does not feel so nose heavy. After the sharp turn it is hard to keep the car in the same lane, it just understeers dramatically. This is my first Audi and I just wanted to know your perspective on this issue. Thanks.
The C7 is actually a significant improvement over the C6 in this regard, but as others have said it's an Audi trait.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dramsey
Well, I wouldn't say required to be ahead, since plenty of 4WD vehicles don't have the engine ahead of the front axle. I suspect it's because Audi prefers longitudinal engine orientation, and keeping the engine ahead of the front axle makes driving the front wheels simpler mechanically.
I did say most Quattros. Audi's AWD design puts the transaxle just behind the motor. The transaxle has to be in-line with the center of the front wheels so that the half-shafts can connect properly. Ergo, the motor is ahead of the wheel center-line. If Audi redesigns their classic Quattro (i.e. non-Haldex) system one day, then this might change. Until then, it is what it is.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now I see the reasoning behind sport diff although we dont dont get it as an option here in US on A6. It is just so noticable when I turn at higher speed (even at relatively low speed). Nose heavy along with good body roll makes this car far less fun to drive (thus less appealing dynamically) compared to bimmer despite the fact that C7 has the best powertrain in its class.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And yet A6 beats BMW 5 series in many instrumented road tests.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Now I see the reasoning behind sport diff although we dont dont get it as an option here in US on A6. It is just so noticable when I turn at higher speed (even at relatively low speed). Nose heavy along with good body roll makes this car far less fun to drive (thus less appealing dynamically) compared to bimmer despite the fact that C7 has the best powertrain in its class.
Curious - do you have the Sport package?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Curious - do you have the Sport package?
Yup, I do - 19 Inch Sport Package. The Sport package does do its trick to the certain extent but the body roll is still very noticable as well as the very apparent understeer. Pls dont get me wrong, I do love my car but I wish that we did not have this issue.

Last edited by salvadorik; 05-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just got back from an audi northwest driving school event today. Yes, the c7 is nose heavy and tend to understeer. Though I wish it is not nose heavy, but the c7 is still a blast to drive! Love it!

Quick Reply: A6 C7 is nose heavy?