Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 seats, A6 Competition or different car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 seats, A6 Competition or different car?

Hi all:

I'm in dire need of a new car. I've been looking at an A6/A7, but find the seats just horrible -- even the comfort seats are only so so

I drive 200 miles each way, each weekend from San Francisco to Squaw Valley to ski. So it must be comfortable, fun, AWD, reasonably fast I have s sweet spot for luxury sports cars. Car needs to be 4 door due to crazed 9 years old son who skies with me. He's a big kid so i need to be mindful to give him enough space.

Questions:
1) Does anyone have experience with the A6 competition with the sport seats? I've heard some say the Sport Seats are the most comfortable of the three (regular A6, Comfort A6, Sport Seat, only available in the Competition model), even though they are stiffer.
2) How fast is the A6/A7 Competition? Hard to imagine the extra 7 HP makes a difference ... but 340 hp and 325 torque is a lot more than my beloved 2000 S4
3) Any other recommendations -- blue sky here -- I'll try anything -- though I like the understated elegance of Audi's.

FYI, No BMW (My wife bought a 2014 X3, in the shop a lot, crapy SF BMW dealership and the inside is full of cheap plastic which i can get in a Honda). No MB till I'm at least 70

History:
1990 Acura Integra, great seats, fun car, ran forever, but boaring
1973 Alfa Romeo GTV -- GREAT EVERYTHING -- but old and hard to keep on the road
1998 A4 2.8. Great car, great seats, got massively flooded in major Boston rain storm, even after the dealer replaced everything, it smelled more like an old locker room, than a luxury german car
2000 S4 6 speed (I think) - Perfect! Just perfect. Wife can't drive stick -- UG, sold it, big mistake!!
2004 Infiniti G35X -- Great seats, always runs, otherwise ho hum car
2017 ???????????
Old 12-29-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've been reading this forum for a year now and seat comfort seems to be a major topic. My conclusion is that everybody's needs are different - quite different. There are owners that claim one of the three seats you mention is best and others that say they are the worst. You've got to sit in them to try them, the longer the better. First impressions are not what you'll feel an hour or more later. Personally, I've found the comfort seats to be superb. I've driven 10 hours straight with absolutely no complaints. As I said, YMMV.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of previously held thoughts, please test drive a Volvo S90.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have never seen so many threads regarding poor seats for any other refined luxury sports sedan as for the A6. I cannot believe that Audi is not aware of this situation, they know the competition and joined them instead of beating them.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

OP, your item 3 states that you will try anything - test drive Acura RLX. 380 HP, sport hybrid, reliability, rare, lots going for it. Check out the infotainment system, it may be a deal breaker but it's a great competitor to the A6.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, consider Jaguar XF AWD
Old 12-29-2016, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just leased a new A6 Competition package. One of the main reasons I didn't pick the regular A6 is the seats. I was disappointed that Audi doesn't even give you an option to get sports seats unless you pick the competition package.

Having said that, I love the seats in the competition package and if I'm not mistaken, they're the same as the ones in the S6. In my opinion, they give better support laterally and comfortable at the same time. Plus, the black and red stitching looks a lot better. I recently drove over 100 miles one way and I had no issues with the seats.

In terms of power, I think it's more than enough for a sporty sedan especially for a daily driver. I'd have still gotten the Competition even if it had the same amount of horse power as the regular A6 3.0

Compared to BMW, I just feel that A6 Competition is more elegant, subtle and sporty at the same time. Suspension is subjective. I'd suggest you do a test drive and see for yourself.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

The comfort seats are more comfortable than the sport seats in my experience. I tried both on the S6.

Still, none of the seat choices for the A6/S6 is as comfortable as the multi-contour seats on the current 5-series BMW.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When I was looking at cars the A6/7 seats were by far my biggest concern. I sat in and drove several. I finally bought a 2015 A7....then a 2016 A7, both with the Prestige seats. I'm now at a combined 29,000 miles and I'm very happy with them.

Keep in mind that I'm very picky about seats, and when I bought the first A7 I still had two cars with sinfully comfortable seats. One a 2012 BMW 550 with the Luxury Seating package (definitely most comfortable ever) and a 2014 Lexus GS350 Luxury package....a close second.

Last edited by jjsC6; 12-30-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
The comfort seats are more comfortable than the sport seats in my experience. I tried both on the S6.

Still, none of the seat choices for the A6/S6 is as comfortable as the multi-contour seats on the current 5-series BMW.
Just goes to show you. I had multi-contour seats on my 535 and X-5 (both current models). They have more adjustments, but on long trips I find the A-6 comfort seats much more desireable. On short trips it's a toss up. It all depends on your personal preferences. Try before you buy.

Quick Reply: A6 seats, A6 Competition or different car?