Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Thwarts GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Thwarts GS

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

<LI id=publish_date>February 2012 <LI sizcache="2" sizset="14">BY TONY SWAN
There are sports sedans, and then there are sports sedans. Strictly defined, only a select few cars—the BMW M5, the Porsche Panamera, the Cadillac CTS-V—deserve the italics. They deliver exalted levels of grip, power, structural rigidity, and responsiveness, all in family-friendly packages. But most sports sedans are less tightly focused; they may have evolved from luxury cars, adding performance for the sake of competitiveness or car magazines such as this one. This is what we’re dealing with here.

Competing in the tough $50,000-to-$60,000 bracket, neither the Audi A6 nor the Lexus GS350 is a track monster like the M5. They promise an all-around blend of usability, refinement, comfort, and engagement—a liberal and livable definition of the term “sports sedan.” So we dialed up an A6 and a GS wearing trim levels that placed them in the sweet spots of their respective lineups, versions with summer tires and athletic chassis but without the kind of naked aggression that causes passenger nosebleeds.

Returning to these pages is the formi­dable new Audi midliner, already the unofficial ruler of the group based on its performance in its first road test [October 2011], plus the achievements of its predecessor, which prevailed against much newer cars, including the latest BMW 5-series, in a pair of comparos [September 2009 and August 2010].

On the opposite side of fortune’s wheel, the 2013 GS350 is fresh from a near-death experience. After years of ­anemic sales stretching over three generations, Lexus was about to pull the plug on this ailing member of the tribe. But passionate supporters inside Toyota’s North American operations made a case for another chance.

Ever since 1993, the GS has struggled to walk the luxury-sports-sedan tightrope. But there’s nothing like looking into an open grave to sharpen one’s sense of purpose.
<HGROUP>
2013 Lexus GS350

Second place: About-Face

</HGROUP></HEADER>
Like its predecessor, the new GS is offered in several trim levels, including a hybrid (GS450h). Unlike every GS since 1998, though, there’s no V-8 engine option. Every nonhybrid GS has a naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V-6 under its hood, delivering a little more horsepower (306 versus 303) and torque (277 pound-feet versus 274) than the previous 3.5. A six-speed automatic is the standard gearbox, though the hybrid, due in late April, delivers power via an electronically governed, continuously variable transmission.  All-wheel drive, a $2550 option, will be available on all models.

The nonhybrid lineup includes the basic but sporty-skewing 350 (from $47,775), a Luxury version (add $5750), and the GS350 F Sport package (stiffer suspension, auto-adjusting electronic shocks, 19-inch wheels, aggressive rubber, and the option of four-wheel steering; add $5690). Our test car was a standard GS350, with $7440 worth of options, including a navigation/premium audio package ($1735); a precollision system with adaptive cruise control ($2000); a set of 18-inch wheels wearing summer tires ($865); and a Premium package (heated/ventilated front seats, power rear sunshade, rain-sensing wipers, $1400). Grand total: $55,215, a little less than the A6, a difference attributable to the Audi’s all-wheel drive.

Key improvements to the new GS include enhanced structural rigidity and serious weight reduction, thanks in part to aluminum suspension components. We detected no quivers, no shakes, and our test car weighed in at 3745 pounds, a tidy 310 pounds lighter than the Audi.

The disparity gave the Lexus a horsepower-to-weight advantage, which may make the Audi’s edge in the sprints—e.g., 5.1 seconds to 60 mph versus 5.5—seem a little odd. But don’t forget the Audi’s supercharged torque curve, its eight-speed automatic, and its all-wheel-drive hole-shot advantage.

In fact, four driven wheels with bigger footprints helped the Audi prevail in our instrumented testing. But it was a different story in the real world of blind corners and decreasing radii. On mountain roads, the Lexus was frisky and eager to attack ­corners, while the Audi felt like the two-tonner it is—deliberate and somewhat ponderous by comparison.

Though the 350’s transmission would benefit from two more cogs, it responds promptly to commands from its paddle shifters and the throttle. And the go pedal, when vigorously engaged, summons racy tunage from the exhaust system.

One asterisk to all the plaudits. It’s helpful when steering feel is part of the driver’s data stream. But the 350’s electric power steering is devoid of this kind of information. Memo to Lexus: Round up GS steering engineers; reassign all to corporate carwash duty.

In subjective scoring, steering was the GS350’s only major dynamic demerit. There were also some negative responses for its styling (busy, nondescript front end, slab sides, rear end reminiscent of a Kia Optima); ergonomics (partially hidden secondary controls); rear-seat space (three adults for three miles equals civil war); and ride quality (a tad too firm for choppy pavement).

On the other hand, the GS was tops in driver comfort, with better seats. Interior styling was beyond reproach, materials were princely, and the huge (12.3 inches) nav display  would’ve drawn raves from Mr. Magoo.

The GS was vault-quiet in freeway cruising, and it put up better fuel economy: 21 mpg, 2 mpg better than the Audi. But in terms of sports-sedan chops, two score-card stats stand out. Though the Audi aced the objective testing, the GS got our nod in subjective handling. More significant, check the fun-to-drive score.
<HGROUP>
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro

First place: About-Face

</HGROUP></HEADER>
This is the seventh generation of Audi’s mid-size luxury-sedan series, building on a predecessor that had established itself as top dog in its class. Though it’s upstaged in its own house by the mechanically identical—but much sexier—A7, we’ll continue to view the A6 as the segment’s pacesetter until something comes along to set a better one.

Pace, in this sense, isn’t limited to 0 to 60 mph. It embraces the total package, from ergonomics to sound to door closures—although we continue to prioritize perform­ance and engagement, the key traits that separate the sporty from the everyday herd.

Applying that litmus, we were surprised by the major impressions that emerged after charging around Southern California freeways and mountain byways. For example, while both cars transmit road noise on warty pavement, the Audi conveyed a stronger sense of refinement. Then again, even without the F Sport package, the Lexus came across as the sportier of the two.

We attribute this to Audi suspension tuning shaded toward the supple side, giving the A6 its edge in ride quality.  As a priority in a high-end sedan, a creamy ride is hard to fault. Nevertheless, it rendered the A6 a little sluggish in the random transients of mountain-road madness, at least in contrast to the Lexus. Even with its feel-free steering, the GS changed directions more readily and was willing to wag its tail.

The Audi’s greater mass, forward weight bias, and body roll contributed to a dynamic persona that was less playful and a bit more cautious, aggravated by brake feel that became a bit spongy as the corners piled up.

But if the Audi delivered a little less fun and a little more understeer, it made up for it with unerring predictability and relentless grip, as well as an electrically boosted steering system that was less secretive than the GS350’s.

Audi’s eight-speed Tiptronic automatic kept the supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 in its very broad power band. Its manual shift response wasn’t quite as brisk as that of the GS350’s six-speed, and we frequently found ourselves glancing down to check which gear was engaged. But it’s a smooth operator in full-automatic mode.

And if the A6 felt a little bulky in the high and winding portions of our test drive, it was the clear champ in our instrumented exercises: quicker in all but one acceleration data point (50 to 70 mph), quicker in our slalom test (by 1.2 mph), stickier on the skidpad (0.93 g), and better in 70-to-0-mph braking (though 169 feet isn’t exactly stellar).

Both cars are outstanding in terms of fit and finish, and the Audi’s innards are what we’ve come to expect from Ingolstadt: handsome, tasteful, and functional. The Audi’s nav system—part of a Premium Plus package that includes the Audi Connect system, xenon headlights, front and rear parking sensors, HD radio, and a seven-inch driver info screen ($4220)—isn’t as big and flashy as the one in the Lexus, but it’s easy to use and boasts Wi-Fi with Google integration.

Styling was yet another strong suit. The A6’s bold face requires no introduction, the graceful roofline softens the visual impact of that bluff bow, and a longitudinal crease just below the beltline lends flair to the flanks.

Moving or stationary, this car radiates character. It may not be high on our list of sports-sedan attributes, but in the real world of luxury cars, character sometimes trumps all.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeese, the styling of the lexus has 19 year old tuner car with body kit written all over it. I couldn't pull up to a business meeting in that.

Audi wins hands down, although i may be a bit biased

never cared for lexuses though, they are just a re badged sh!ty Toyota avalon
Old 02-18-2012, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Lexus

I am interested in seeing the interior. The seats in the luxury package look great--more like those in the A8.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had a test drive in the GS350, all I can say is wow. The handling and the interior is amazing, the front seats are much more comfortable than the A6's. Handling is very quick and precise, the car feels very agile and light. In my opinion, it handles better than my A6 and the interior is just as nice. The interior material quality is a bit better than the A6 as well, the front end is my least favorite part of the car, it looks after market and added on. It doesnt pull like the A6 accelartaion wise, you really have to rev up the GS to get any kind of pull. MSRP is about the same as the A6 if you get the GS with AWD. I think I would still buy the A6 over the GS if I had to it all over again.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just saw one at my Lexus dealer last week while geting an oil change on my GX470.

Not impressed with the GS. Interior is nice, but not as refined or spacious as the Audi IMO.
Exterior styling is plain awful. Makes you wonder what were they smoking when they came up with that. I think that the prior generation GS was a much nicer looking car.

Neurobit
Old 02-18-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI

Jeese, the styling of the lexus has 19 year old tuner car with body kit written all over it. I couldn't pull up to a business meeting in that.

Audi wins hands down, although i may be a bit biased

never cared for lexuses though, they are just a re badged sh!ty Toyota avalon
To say that Lexus cars are just rebadged "sh!tty" Toyota's is a bit ignorant. That's like saying Audi's are rebadged "sh!tty" VWs...

I also test drove the new GS yesterday, and it surprised me to say the least. It was much quicker and more agile than I thought and the interior was top notch. Everything seemed very well built and was really good quality wise. I am in the same boat as most of you though, the styling leaves something to be desired. The A6 seems like an executive car and the GS seems like something a wannabe racer would be driving. All in all, I think Lexus is heading in the right direction in terms of the driving feel and just needs to work a little on the styling of the car, but you know what they say, styling is all subjective.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I heard that Lexus is not discounting the GS. You must pay MSRP.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yesterday I went to test drive new GS. I had my new A6 for 3 weeks now, I drive second car BMW 535i (2009). The dealer suggested GS-F knowing that I drive BMW and that is the one I'll replace (I did not tell him that I bought A6). The Lexus interior is really nice but I found A6 is more modern. Pushing the GS around corners during test drive was not an issue but with F sport there is considerable road noise, & had to change suspension settings(dampenings) to negotiate corners,while during A6 test drive with sports package the handling was natural and smooth power from the start. I think GS is very nice car yet to see how it will impact sales of Audi/BMW/Mercedes. There are loyal customers for those 3 brands same like Lexus & are all really nice cars,different flavours. What I find in those articles they give good feedback but most important is one's opinion after test drive. I left dealer with no single doubt that A6was ahead as best overall value.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Taktix1
To say that Lexus cars are just rebadged "sh!tty" Toyota's is a bit ignorant. That's like saying Audi's are rebadged "sh!tty" VWs...
I agree, Lexus is far from being a rebadge Toyota.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, Lexus is far from being a rebadge Toyota.
Until very recently, Lexus were called Toyota in Japan. It has only changed within the last 3-4 years.

My marketing manager drives an IS250, and while it's a nice car, the interior on that vehicle is not up to Audi standards at all. I haven't seen the GS interior yet, but find the exterior way too flashy and "look at me". The Audi is elegant in comparison.

Quick Reply: A6 Thwarts GS