Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Thwarts GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not be so quick to dismiss Lexus. These guys have been building the best quality cars in the world since the inception of the brand, that is a fact that has been backed up by numerous organizations that conduct automobile reliability studies. The problem has been boring looking/driving cars, which it looks like they are starting to change.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mpatel1080
I would not be so quick to dismiss Lexus. These guys have been building the best quality cars in the world since the inception of the brand, that is a fact that has been backed up by numerous organizations that conduct automobile reliability studies. The problem has been boring looking/driving cars, which it looks like they are starting to change.
agreed. I think we can also all agree that if the new GS is anything like the magazines have been saying, it will only make Audi better. When there's better competition, we all benefit.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree that Lexus should not be dismissed, but as an interesting data point, Lexus sells almost no cars in Europe (Lexus 27,468 vehicles sold, Audi = 681,045; BMW = 642,173; Mercedes-Benz = 806,256; Jaguar = 85,725). They are a US/Japanese brand, and have no recognition as a luxury brand in Europe. The top seller in Europe is the CT 200h, a small (A3) sized hybrid.

Based on http://www.acea.be/news/news_detail/..._manufacturer/

To me personally, Lexi feel artificial - they are Toyota's (successful) attempt to build a luxury car. I agree that they are very reliable, but they are also very unexciting, appliance like and they lack a certain "organic" feel. Jaguar has a lot of that in my opinion, as does Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi.

In the end, people have their own reasons why they purchase cars, and I think that car enthusiasts are generally more likely to purchase European luxury cars, and that people who just want to drive get a Japanese brand luxury car.

The Japanese will help keep the Germans on their toes, keep prices more reasonable and make owning a luxury car a better experience for us - the customers.

I should go and take a look at the GS interior (the exterior is not my thing, looks too much "Transformers" to me) sometime. I won't ever buy one, but since so many have complimented the GS interior, I should go check it out.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin A6 3.2
There is nothing wrong with Toyota in my opinion, but the statement that many Lexi (Lexus's?) are re-badged Toyotas is not false.
Lexus sold in Japan are Toyota becuase they lack the dealer experience. Part of the Lexus name brand mean top notch customer service. Like it or hate it, Lexus is here to stay in the US.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

You are right that most Lexus models are rebadged toyotas, however these are high end toyotas sold in Japan. Comparing the high end of Toyota to a corolla would be like saying the Phaeton and Touareg are junk because the Jetta is a cheap car. I would assume part of the reason for The creation of Lexus was for Toyota to sell high end vehicles to people "who won't pay 50k for a Toyota". It seems that americans are more brand conscious than other nationalities when itncomes to cars, this would explain why the Phaeton and Touareg do pretty poorly here as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would assume part of the reason for The creation of Lexus was for Toyota to sell high end vehicles to people "who won't pay 50k for a Toyota". It seems that americans are more brand conscious than other nationalities when itncomes to cars, this would explain why the Phaeton and Touareg do pretty poorly here as well.
Its the same reason why the Hyundai Genesis is not selling as well as it should. The American luxury car buyers want the whole package, a nice car and the dealership experience. Thats is the main reason why the Lexus division was created, to seperate itself from Toyota.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are right that most Lexus models are rebadged toyotas, however these are high end toyotas sold in Japan. Comparing the high end of Toyota to a corolla would be like saying the Phaeton and Touareg are junk because the Jetta is a cheap car. I would assume part of the reason for The creation of Lexus was for Toyota to sell high end vehicles to people "who won't pay 50k for a Toyota". It seems that americans are more brand conscious than other nationalities when itncomes to cars, this would explain why the Phaeton and Touareg do pretty poorly here as well.
It should be noted that Toyota launched the Lexus brand in Japan starting in July 2005. After this they stopped selling the previous Toyota variants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus#2...reorganization
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

While I like german cars much better than others and find Lexus cars a bit "bland/oldy" for my taste, I still would not call them Toyota. Just like Audi cannot be called a VW. It's funny to see some strong opinions here.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Most Lexus are bland because that is their design intention, it is a sensible and reliable luxury car. If you test drive the new GS350 or the IS-F, you will notice their design intentions are different. It really depends on what one's priority is in a car.