Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs 535xi--Objective Test Drive-and My Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a chance yet to test drive A6, but I test drive 528,535 and 550.
My mistake I get to 550 first - 535 and specifically 528 - feel .... well - not at the same class cars.

But here is what happen right now on Bimmerfest

F10 owner's are in a whole other stratosphere. Its gone viral...over the top. NO replacement tires...cars stranded, disabled, out of service, no loaners, a nightmare; heavy talk of lawsuits. Seems that the F10s have Goodyear tires (19").

Interesting to see how this pans out and I imagine BMW NA is apoplectic about it...putting pressure on GY to FIX IT, but they BLOW OFF F10 consumer complaints ("it's not our problem" -- Oh, really?). Goodyear seems to be doing all they can to satisfy F10 owner's, but there are NO tires for replacement, except for non-RF tires...and BMW WON'T approve non-RF replacements...therefore your car SITS in the dealership.

Meanwhile, complaints pile up in NHTSA's complaint database from F10 owners, not to mention the "class action lawsuit" initiative.

This is really a "worst case scenario" for BMW, and the new F10. I'm really curious to see how BMW NA manages this situtation (doesn't seem very well so far): RF tires GONE REALLY BAD. Will this be BMW's "Battle of Waterloo" for RF tires? (and they're on the French side?) This is truly a disaster. WHAT is it going to take for BMW to re-think its position on tires?
Original Post - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55087

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=550986

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=535551

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=548977

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518954

And so on. Evidently only affects xi sport. "No loaners available" raises a brow.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

The tire issue applies mainly to the 19 inch sport tires. The 18s are much less likely to have the issue. Also BMW is replacing all the Goodyear 19s including ones already on the road.

Every car and brand will have it's quirks. I just made the best choice for me based on my recent experiences. Time will tell if it is the right one, but I am happy with my decision.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Art234
The tire issue applies mainly to the 19 inch sport tires. The 18s are much less likely to have the issue. Also BMW is replacing all the Goodyear 19s including ones already on the road.
I've heard and read about the RFT issue being limited primarily to the Goodyear 19" tires (owners' reports) but where did you hear or read that BMW is replacing all of them? I scanned the Bimmerfest forum and can't see anything but pleas for BMW to step up and take ownership of the issue since the tires are being supplied on their product. Also, can't see anything on the web indicating what you've stated. Please provide more details.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Information was provided to me by the sales consultant and one of dealership management. I know them personally, and they would not tell me this if it were not true.

I am sure details will follow, but they are waiting for a supply of replacement tires, then I am sure it will go public. At some point they will even recall cars already on the road to get those 19 GY off the road.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Information was provided to me by the sales consultant and one of dealership management. I know them personally, and they would not tell me this if it were not true.

I am sure details will follow, but they are waiting for a supply of replacement tires, then I am sure it will go public. At some point they will even recall cars already on the road to get those 19 GY off the road.
Your above information would be VERY helpful to the F10 series owners out there who are currently running the GY LS2 run flats. You should consider posting it on the F10 Bimmerfest forum and let them know a solution is coming from BMW to get these defective tires off of their vehicles. There's an active thread on the RFT topic where you can post but it would help them to see a fresh post to catch more owners' eyes. Sounds like your source is reliable enough to let this loose on the Bimmerfest forum. Your thoughts?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am getting additional confirmation tomorrow, at which time I will post it. I just want to be more than 100% certain...although I have heard it from more than one person, I just want one more person to confirm.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting additional confirmation tomorrow, at which time I will post it. I just want to be more than 100% certain...although I have heard it from more than one person, I just want one more person to confirm.
A strange thing I have noticed is that on TireRack they wont let me add a follwup review for the tires. I have the staggered 19 inch Summer only Good Year Excellence. Which are not the ones people are having the problems with (GY LS-2 all season 19 inch), however, I did find this to be rather odd.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatoman39
A strange thing I have noticed is that on TireRack they wont let me add a follwup review for the tires. I have the staggered 19 inch Summer only Good Year Excellence. Which are not the ones people are having the problems with (GY LS-2 all season 19 inch), however, I did find this to be rather odd.
Give the folks at Tire Rack a call and they should be able to get you to someone who can figure out why you aren't able to add a follow-up review. It's probably because of how their system recognizes each e-mail input and is set up to allow only one review per account. If TR can't modify their system, you could use someone else's e-mail account to add the followup review and just note who you are the beginning of the post and that it's a followup.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
Give the folks at Tire Rack a call and they should be able to get you to someone who can figure out why you aren't able to add a follow-up review. It's probably because of how their system recognizes each e-mail input and is set up to allow only one review per account. If TR can't modify their system, you could use someone else's e-mail account to add the followup review and just note who you are the beginning of the post and that it's a followup.
You don't seem to understand. I have half a dozen reviews on Tire Rack and I can add a follow-up review to any of those tires listed. Under the GY EXCELLENCE ROF, the website says:
Add a Follow-up Survey
We're sorry. Reviews are no longer being accepted for this tire.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, now I understand.

Quick Reply: A6 vs 535xi--Objective Test Drive-and My Dilemma