Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs 535xi--Objective Test Drive-and My Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I asked my guy again on Friday when I pick up my BMW and he said it has not been announced because they are working on getting adequate supply of replacement tires. He also said that the 18s were not having problems, which I have confirmed..and my 535xi has 18 inch wheels..

Good luck to those with new A6's...perhaps if Audi gets their customer experience together in 3 years I will give them another shot....
Old 07-03-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Art234
Good luck to those with new A6's...perhaps if Audi gets their customer experience together in 3 years I will give them another shot....
You never know....
We wish you well
Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Art234
I asked my guy again on Friday when I pick up my BMW and he said it has not been announced because they are working on getting adequate supply of replacement tires. He also said that the 18s were not having problems, which I have confirmed..and my 535xi has 18 inch wheels..

Well, who are the really good Audi dealers on long island with respect to service? I have experience with Rallye for MB, and Hassel for BMW, and both are very good from my experiences. Who are the top shelf long island audi dealers with respect to service?
Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can anyone say the 535xi has a better ride than the new A6?

Compare like with like and in this case that means non sports suspension on 18" rims and the Audi wins hands down no contest, it's true the 5er is a little quieter but it's only slightly so. Overall the A6 is a superior car, it's got a better interior quality which isn't subjective but actually recognised by all of the press regardless of country of origin, it's got superior performance and economy that's also been proven and it easily outhandles the Beemer.

If you still pick a 535xi over it then you are either totally turned off by it's looks which then means you never really like Audi's style for the past several years or you are a diehard BMW fan that never really considered switching and were always going to buy the 5 series regardless of your findings.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
How can anyone say the 535xi has a better ride than the new A6?

Compare like with like and in this case that means non sports suspension on 18" rims and the Audi wins hands down no contest, it's true the 5er is a little quieter but it's only slightly so. Overall the A6 is a superior car, it's got a better interior quality which isn't subjective but actually recognised by all of the press regardless of country of origin, it's got superior performance and economy that's also been proven and it easily outhandles the Beemer.

If you still pick a 535xi over it then you are either totally turned off by it's looks which then means you never really like Audi's style for the past several years or you are a diehard BMW fan that never really considered switching and were always going to buy the 5 series regardless of your findings.
Yeah! What He Said!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Well, who are the really good Audi dealers on long island with respect to service? I have experience with Rallye for MB, and Hassel for BMW, and both are very good from my experiences. Who are the top shelf long island audi dealers with respect to service?
It's a long way out on the east end of the Island, but IMEO Audi/Porshe Southampton (formerly Storms Audi/Porshe) has a very good service department, with a very high-end and demanding clientele base---they've added more customer service loaners since the franchise's sale to the new owner. John Knapp is the service manager, and he's always very accomodating and willing to go the extra mile. I've been doing business with these folks for nearly 20 years, and keep returning due to the continuously positive service experience---once they get to know you, you're like family. The only recent knock is that they dropped AMEX since the transfer to the new ownership.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a good tip, I only service my cars once a year at the dealer (warranty issues aside), so a ride out to the Hamptons isn't too bad. Rallye Mercedes doesn't take AMEX either.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good luck with the BMW - A friend just made the same choice of a 535xi over the new A6 for many of the same reasons.

I have an R8 and my service experience has been a lot less than I expected on both that car and my S4. Considering this is my fourth Audi, I am just about ready to jump ship again to BMW when I replace the S4. The R8 though.... that's a lot harder to replace or compare
Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This post reinforces the main reasons I was drawn to purchase the 2012 A6.

Exclusivity and simple elegance.

This is a forum dedicated to Audi, and there are 2 recent 535xi purchasers making multiple posts. I have only seen 3 confirmed A6 purchasers! If I drive 20 minutes to work, I will see 10 or 15 3-series BMWs, and I live in Cincinnati, OH. Probably "only" 5 5-series. BMWs are everywhere, and I like the fact that my new A6 will be a rare find on the road. Sales number show BMW is the king in the USA, but I don't usually follow the crowd. To each their own.

And say what you will about the "brand cache and prestige" of BMW. Keep on deluding yourself into thinking that BMW is the end-all of luxury vehicles.
I would argue most people consider their owners at a minimum showy, and leaning toward pretentious. I prefer people look at my car and think "nice car" rather than "ooh, he drives a BMW."

Sorry, I'm just tired of the BMW-philes spouting off over here. I will exclude Art from that category. If I had any car that had such service issues, no way I would buy that brand again. However, every manufacturer has technical issues.

ps: PsychDoc repeatedly decries the almost MSRP sales price of the 2012 A6 vs. the spectacular 11% off MSRP of the 2011 535xi. PLEASE quote me the specs and final price you got on your amazing BMW deal. I would wager that it is still more expensive than a similarly equipped A6. Ever shop at a furniture store, or how about a jewelry store? EVERY ITEM in stock is on sale! They mark it up and then say "SALE, 25% OFF!" People always feel they are getting a deal if it is on sale. Also, the A6 offers 3 things over the 535xi that you just cannot deny:

1) Quattro. xDrive is not in the same league.
2) Interior features like MMI, Audi Connect and NAV are all well ahead of BMW.
3) IT'S A 2012 MODEL - 1 YEAR NEWER!!!!!! Wonder how much Audi will be discounting in a year? Not a fair comparison!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by teddyoh
This post reinforces the main reasons I was drawn to purchase the 2012 A6.

Exclusivity and simple elegance.

This is a forum dedicated to Audi, and there are 2 recent 535xi purchasers making multiple posts. I have only seen 3 confirmed A6 purchasers! If I drive 20 minutes to work, I will see 10 or 15 3-series BMWs, and I live in Cincinnati, OH. Probably "only" 5 5-series. BMWs are everywhere, and I like the fact that my new A6 will be a rare find on the road. Sales number show BMW is the king in the USA, but I don't usually follow the crowd. To each their own.

And say what you will about the "brand cache and prestige" of BMW. Keep on deluding yourself into thinking that BMW is the end-all of luxury vehicles.
I would argue most people consider their owners at a minimum showy, and leaning toward pretentious. I prefer people look at my car and think "nice car" rather than "ooh, he drives a BMW."

Sorry, I'm just tired of the BMW-philes spouting off over here. I will exclude Art from that category. If I had any car that had such service issues, no way I would buy that brand again. However, every manufacturer has technical issues.

ps: PsychDoc repeatedly decries the almost MSRP sales price of the 2012 A6 vs. the spectacular 11% off MSRP of the 2011 535xi. PLEASE quote me the specs and final price you got on your amazing BMW deal. I would wager that it is still more expensive than a similarly equipped A6. Ever shop at a furniture store, or how about a jewelry store? EVERY ITEM in stock is on sale! They mark it up and then say "SALE, 25% OFF!" People always feel they are getting a deal if it is on sale. Also, the A6 offers 3 things over the 535xi that you just cannot deny:

1) Quattro. xDrive is not in the same league.
2) Interior features like MMI, Audi Connect and NAV are all well ahead of BMW.
3) IT'S A 2012 MODEL - 1 YEAR NEWER!!!!!! Wonder how much Audi will be discounting in a year? Not a fair comparison!

I disagree with you on the middle point - MMI and iDrive are different but I wouldn't say better. The BMW system based on my experience with my M5s and M3 and the 2011 535xi is superior in some ways and inferior in others. Audi's MMI system in the A6 and A7 is great but has similar drawbacks. BT-Audio for example is standard in the BMWs and nowhere to be found in the Audi. Audi has a hotspot feature that requires you to buy a data plan, the BMW uses your data plan for online services like Pandora streaming facebook updates etc.
So I'd be wary of declaring one system batter than the other; merely different.

Quick Reply: A6 vs 535xi--Objective Test Drive-and My Dilemma