Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is the A7 really worth it (compared to an A6)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a (married with kids) engineer, I am less concerned what other people think of the car. But I do care how *I* think of the car.

I will follow folks advice here and this weekend I will go back to the dealer and see if I can see the cars side by side and make the call.

It would be nice if the US A7's had the same middle seat as Euro versions. I wonder if this is something that could be retrofitted? We have a minivan for taking everyone together, but it's nice to be able to have 3 vs 2 kids in the back on errands and such, and mine are small enough that the headroom isn't an issue at all.

thanks,
mike
Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikesm559
As a (married with kids) engineer, I am less concerned what other people think of the car. But I do care how *I* think of the car.

thanks,
mike
I couldn't agree more. That's why I said above that you should get the A7 if it moves your heart. If not get the A6, which is what most people do at a ratio of at least 2:1, and probably higher.

You want go wrong with either. Good Luck

PS. As another rational consideration, the A7 hatch trunk is better and easier to deal with for families with kids, and one of the reasons I got the A7.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive both today - side by side, same street, same route. And I don't feel difference. Maybe, just maybe, I think A7 steering was liter, but I can be wrong. Both car driving performance almost identical and if you don't look back - front interior is the same.
I liked looks of A7, I also seat in A7 with forward display with night vision and listen B&O radio, streaming via BT - AMAZING!!!!
Sticker price is shocking also.
if money is concern = true - get A6, if money is no object - get A7 with night vision and B&O.

Last edited by TIME89; 08-20-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like both cars but choose the A6 due to price and back seat head room and middle seat rather than the great looks and versatility of the A7. If I had the money to buy an A7, I might consider the BMW 5 with the V8 turbo as that would defintely outrun my former S4 and still have more utility. But as other have stated, do what you want not what others tell you to. Both are great cars for different reasons. If you are a practical person, the $10K saving can get you a big screen tv, vacation, laptop, etc.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Get your A6 with European Delivery. Spend this money on, probobly, the best family vacation!
Pick up you A6 in Germany, drive thru Alps to Italy and drop off in Nice or Paris.
Get up to 140 mlh on autobahn, enjoy local food, show you kids where real history came fro
You and your kids will have memory of that vacation for ever!!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
Get your A6 with European Delivery. Spend this money on, probobly, the best family vacation!
Pick up you A6 in Germany, drive thru Alps to Italy and drop off in Nice or Paris.
Get up to 140 mlh on autobahn, enjoy local food, show you kids where real history came fro
You and your kids will have memory of that vacation for ever!!!!
That's what I am doing. My pickup date is 16 November. It will be great to run around Germany, France and Switzerland for 10 days in the car but it will be hard to drop it off and wait another 6 weeks for it to show up stateside. Good thing I still love my 2001 2.7t. She just turned 11 last week...
Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I will follow folks advice here and this weekend I will go back to the dealer and see if I can see the cars side by side and make the call.

It would be nice if the US A7's had the same middle seat as Euro versions. I wonder if this is something that could be retrofitted? We have a minivan for taking everyone together, but it's nice to be able to have 3 vs 2 kids in the back on errands and such, and mine are small enough that the headroom isn't an issue at all.

thanks,
mike

If you have kids old enough to be in grade school, a four seater won't cut it when it comes to your turn in a school or post game car pool. Kinda snobby / elitist to mention your eurosedan has two rear seats and implies you don't want their grimy kids in your pristine ride ! Wouldn't want your kids shunned in subtle ways .

Last edited by Inclined; 08-21-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Inclined
If you have kids old enough to be in grade school, a four seater won't cut it when it comes to your turn in a school or post game car pool. Kinda snobby / elitist to mention your eurosedan has two rear seats and implies you don't want their grimy kids in your pristine ride ! Wouldn't want your kids shunned in subtle ways .
Well, I have 1 kid in 1st grade, and twins in preschool. And another one on the way, which is why I can't do ED - my wife can't really fly, and if I went by myself and left her with 3 kids, I would be in a world of hurt!!

We do have a minivan already for carting kids around to events and dropoffs, etc... With the new addition, there is no way to fit everyone in one car, but the minivan is for that. I do expect to take kids to sports events and dropoffs though. I don't think I would mind having kids in the back of the A7, but yes the space back there is not as good as the A6.

Maybe I should be more practical and get an SUV instead of an A6 or A7, but I like my Lexus sedan and want to stay in that form factor (and I do droppoffs and sports in that already).

I could have done the ED with the family if I pulled the trigger earlier with the A6, but I was waiting to see the details of the new GS before defecting to Audi, as I have been a very loyal Toyota owner before.

But the lack of a good engine, the remote touch interface and other issues with the GS design made me go this route... Folks here seem pretty happy with their audis...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

But the lack of a good engine, the remote touch interface and other issues with the GS design made me go this route... Folks here seem pretty happy with their audis...
mikesm559,
whatever decision you make - make sure your wife is involve. Happy wife - happy life.
Just remember, that every Joe Shmo right now had access to internet. But 50% of them start looking for car forum when they had first problem with their car.
That why you see more negative posts, then positive.