Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Am I being cheated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I being cheated?

Today I was in one of Audi Dealers. It is going to be my first car experience so I am totally naive. While getting a quote, I had the feeling like I can't really choose what I want but I can choose what they have in hand.

I mean I was like I want the driver assistance package, but they were writing down "driver side assist" which is a different thing. I had to tell them twice to correct this. I know it would be harder to find one but do I have to get what they offer?

Other thing, they said, otherwise I would have to wait 108 days!!! to have a new customized car. I'm really dissapointed. Is this also true?

Please guys let me know!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are probably trying to sell you a car they have in stock. You are about to make a $50-$70k purchase. My advice, get exactly what you want. If they won't do a dealer trade, go to another dealer and get what you want. If there are no other dealers in your area, search other dealers inventory or go search on cars.com. If you want to order exactly what you want then order one with your specs and that could take a while. You may consider ordering a 2013 if you order one. Don't compromise on anything, get what you want.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kenbob
They are probably trying to sell you a car they have in stock. You are about to make a $50-$70k purchase. My advice, get exactly what you want. If they won't do a dealer trade, go to another dealer and get what you want. If there are no other dealers in your area, search other dealers inventory or go search on cars.com. If you want to order exactly what you want then order one with your specs and that could take a while. You may consider ordering a 2013 if you order one. Don't compromise on anything, get what you want.
Thanks ken for the reply. By any chance do you know if 2013 cars have any extra packages etc? Basically do you have any information regarding even a slight change between 2012 and 2013 models? Audi USA website does have all models in 2013 but A6. So not sure where to look! Thanks a lot!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check out this thread -> https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2824960

Maybe you could hire some of the people on this forum to go to the dealers with you. They are sharp and know how to handle the sales pitches.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Check out this thread -> https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2824960

Maybe you could hire some of the people on this forum to go to the dealers with you. They are sharp and know how to handle the sales pitches.
Not sure if u were being sarcastic about hiring people to go with me tanspeed, but thanks i'd rather take my time and educate myself about these pitfalls. i need to learn fishing not someone who will sell me fish.

Other than that thanks for the link! it includes a few options i felt excited about!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

There are plenty of sites on the internet that explain to the inexperienced how to buy a car and get the best deal. A good car salesperson can usually smell a first-time buyer a mile away and will usually push the envelope to see how far they can go to achieve their agenda. Don't despair - everyone experiences being a first time new car buyer - we've all been there.

My two cents off the cuff advice? Determine exactly what you want (and what, if anything you are willing to settle for), how long you are willing to wait, the dealer's cost and how much profit you are willing to allow the dealer (understand they need to make some profit). Shop around and don't fall in love with any one car or dealer - once you commit, you'll be living with the car for several years so be prepared to walk and try another dealer (you can always come back). Also, these days, the internet allows you to make dealer offers right from your computer before you even talk to a salesperson.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow Man
Today I was in one of Audi Dealers. It is going to be my first car experience so I am totally naive. While getting a quote, I had the feeling like I can't really choose what I want but I can choose what they have in hand.

I mean I was like I want the driver assistance package, but they were writing down "driver side assist" which is a different thing. I had to tell them twice to correct this. I know it would be harder to find one but do I have to get what they offer?

Other thing, they said, otherwise I would have to wait 108 days!!! to have a new customized car. I'm really dissapointed. Is this also true?

Please guys let me know!
Keep in mind that as far as dealer inventory, it is pretty much a crap shoot. Unless you have some flexiblity on color, options etc, recommend either the factory order route (lot of lead time required), or expanding your search to near-by states...done the latter my last two car purchases and finilized the deal in about 5 min over the phone.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow Man
Not sure if u were being sarcastic about hiring people to go with me tanspeed, but thanks i'd rather take my time and educate myself about these pitfalls. i need to learn fishing not someone who will sell me fish.
I'm not being sarcastic at all.

I usually buy private sale late model used cars so I have little experience with new car dealer negotiations. Like you, I am on the forums to find out about the car, accessories and how much others are paying.

Dealers sell cars everyday and they have ways to turn a profit that I would have never thought of. Having someone go along with you would be a help. Perhaps a friend, co-worker or relative that have some luxury car buying knowledge.

There's a big difference between buying a car and being sold a car. When you buy a car, you know what you want and you call the shots. When you're sold a car, the salesperson is in control every step of the way.

Read more: http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/sta...#ixzz1tam7wfId
Become a Fan of Kiplinger's on Facebook

Here's a couple of car buying articles that might help -
http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/sta...005/st0421.htm
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/co...-salesman.html

Last edited by tenspeed; 04-30-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, be ready for a steep learning curve then.