Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Any HUD Complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any HUD Complaints?

I like the HUD, but I'm curious if anyone has any complaints about it such as extra reflection from the screen onto the windscreen in bright sunlight. In some images it almost looks like the reflector on the HUD unit creates a bright reflection up onto the windscreen in the field of vision for the driver.

My incoming A6 has the Prestige interior, but I haven't spent enough time in those vehicles to have much seat time with the HUD. All of the vehicles that I have driven have been P+ models.

Anyway, just curious if there was any annoying features about it other than some units rattling.

Regards,
LN
Old 11-04-2016, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I actually really like mine. Others have complained about the screen reflections but it doesn't bother me. There have also been complaints about difficulty viewing it with polarized sunglasses but I've found if you shift your head ever so slightly to the side its a non issue. This is my personal experience and I'm sure others will disagree with me.......
Old 11-04-2016, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Except for the polarized sunglass issue discussed above, I have never experienced any problems with mine.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw this post other day. Not sure if you've also seen it or it could help.
I personally don't have any HUD Glare issue that has been overly apparent.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...oblem-2908914/
Old 11-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks folks.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No issue
Old 11-07-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No issues with the HUD itself for me, though if you ever need a windshield replacement it could be an adventure as the cars equipped with HUD use a special windshield. I had an odyssey a few years back getting the correct replacement windshield for my A6.

I think the HUD is really very good in the A6 - it's a requirement for me going forward for whatever car I get.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
No issues with the HUD itself for me, though if you ever need a windshield replacement it could be an adventure as the cars equipped with HUD use a special windshield. I had an odyssey a few years back getting the correct replacement windshield for my A6.
I'm not surprised, the odyssey windshield won't fit an A6😄
Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston

I think the HUD is really very good in the A6 - it's a requirement for me going forward for whatever car I get.
Any Audi dealer should be able to order the correct glass and most of them work with a glass repair shop to get it replaced. Most Audis now use special acoustic glass that's not available in the aftermarket, the HUD is just another reason you need factory glass. I just had my RS5's windshield replaced for the second time. Insurance confirmed that there is no aftermarket glass. I just had my dealer order the glass, then dropped off the car and they took it to their glass shop around the corner. Excellent work done and all paid by the insurance minus my $100 comprehensive deductible.

As for the HUD, not a fan in general. I like wearing polarized sunglasses and it pretty much wipes out the HUD. I'm also kinda bothered by having something float in my line of sight. I probably could get used to it, but in most loaners I've driven, I ended up turning off the HUD.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-07-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Most Audis now use special acoustic glass that's not available in the aftermarket, the HUD is just another reason you need factory glass.
Any chance you can elaborate on the characteristics of this "special acoustic glass" Audi employs? I'm just curious about it that's all.

Quick Reply: Any HUD Complaints?