Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Anybody using wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using wheel spacers?

I've had my 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige (my third Audi) for a couple months now and love it. I've got the 20" sport package, which looks sweet, but I'm wondering if the stance of the car might look even a little better with the wheels out a bit more flush with the side of the car. 5-10mm hubcentric wheel spacers might just do the trick. Anybody tried this?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can go as high as a 30mm spacer if you wanted to be completely flush. I actually have a set of 10mm H&R Spacers that have never been driven on for our cars that I'm selling if you're interested. I had to purchase them for a set of Forgestar CF5's that didn't clear the front brakes but ended up returning the wheels because of other issues.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by day1yun
You can go as high as a 30mm spacer if you wanted to be completely flush. I actually have a set of 10mm H&R Spacers that have never been driven on for our cars that I'm selling if you're interested. I had to purchase them for a set of Forgestar CF5's that didn't clear the front brakes but ended up returning the wheels because of other issues.
Scratch that, 30mm spacers will make the wheels look like they're sticking out unless you lower your car.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I really would never go more than 5-10 mm otherwise it could be tough on suspension
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Keep in mind that many wheel and tire shops will not work on your wheels or tires if you have spacers.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the replies.

I ran 15mm spacers on m 2001 S4 back in the day, but I don't think the A6 needs that much, probaby 10mm would do it.

Why wouldn't shops work on the car with spacers, I've never heard that? Maybe the dealer wouldn't be too keen to do warranty work on the suspension, but I can't believe independent shops would care.

Has anyone really had a problem caused by a reasonably sizd wheel spacer???
Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Would we need extended lug bolts for a 10 mm spacer or we can use the one we already have?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fairenough
Thanks for the replies.

I ran 15mm spacers on m 2001 S4 back in the day, but I don't think the A6 needs that much, probaby 10mm would do it.

Why wouldn't shops work on the car with spacers, I've never heard that? Maybe the dealer wouldn't be too keen to do warranty work on the suspension, but I can't believe independent shops would care.

Has anyone really had a problem caused by a reasonably sizd wheel spacer???
Keep in mind that this is for regional chains (Discount Tire, Tire Discounters, etc.). I suspect it's a liability issue -- i.e., the spacers are not OEM equipment and introduce a potential "failure point" to the mounting of the wheel to the hub. Don't get me wrong, I think it's bunk, but I can see how an attorney for a chain looking to minimize liability would create such a policy.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Seki
Would we need extended lug bolts for a 10 mm spacer or we can use the one we already have?
I would use longer bolts to be on the safe side.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I would use longer bolts to be on the safe side.
Thanks, my concern is that I got a set of A7 wheels that are et32 and the et on the 19 sport package on the A6 is et41. Would I have to get longer bolts for this application as well or should it be fine?

All this is new to me sorry if my questions are... well you know what.

Quick Reply: Anybody using wheel spacers?