Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Anyone have A/C problems with their 2012 or 2013 A6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Not sure if this is related to the OP’s issue at all, but thought it is worth mentioning.
The first warm season after I got my current 2013 A6 2.0 P+ I noticed that in order to get the temperature to feel as comfortable as I normally like it, I have to set it lower (in terms of the indicated degrees) than on my previous 3 Audi’s. I used to leave it at 72 all the time. With the ’13 A6 I leave it at 68, and occasionally I notice warmish air coming from the right side, though it goes away after a while – perhaps just part of the automatic process. Anyway, I thought I’d mention it.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven8906
Not to raise a thread from the dead but I was just doing a search and ran across this. This just happened to me in my '12 A7. Was driving along fine with AC blowing cool. Stopped at a friends house while driving through the neighborhood and left the car running. Jumped back into the car to leave after maybe 2 minutes and the AC is blowing warm air. Tried the engine off, back on again. Booked it in for service on Monday, Hoping for a quick fix.
Could be that it just needs a re-gas. Once the level of gas int he system drops below a certain level it switches to Safe Mode to protect the components. If the car has never had a regas then after 3 or 4 years it can easily have dropped below the critical level. Here int he UK Audi recommend a regas every 2 years.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Not sure if this is related to the OP’s issue at all, but thought it is worth mentioning.
The first warm season after I got my current 2013 A6 2.0 P+ I noticed that in order to get the temperature to feel as comfortable as I normally like it, I have to set it lower (in terms of the indicated degrees) than on my previous 3 Audi’s. I used to leave it at 72 all the time. With the ’13 A6 I leave it at 68, and occasionally I notice warmish air coming from the right side, though it goes away after a while – perhaps just part of the automatic process. Anyway, I thought I’d mention it.
I have the 4 zone system and when it's 98 outside I like it at 77 inside with the fan at 2 or 3. When it's 59 outside I like it at 71 with the fan at 2 or 3. The system has a mind of its own and does whatever it likes. The fan changes speed on its own, even when it's not in Auto and the day setting is different to the night setting and I was thinking that 72 degrees was 72 degrees but this AC system has a mind of its own without regard to settings.
Sometimes to get the AC on I have to set the direction to blowing in your face because it moved to the direction of foot blow and, irrelevant of temperature set, it decided to blow warm air.
I have never owned such a dumb system and it's impossible to work out the algorithm that the Germans programmed for what Audi considers normal.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Could be that it just needs a re-gas. Once the level of gas int he system drops below a certain level it switches to Safe Mode to protect the components. If the car has never had a regas then after 3 or 4 years it can easily have dropped below the critical level. Here int he UK Audi recommend a regas every 2 years.
I don't know why the UK would be different but it's a closed system and if you need a recharge then there is a leak. I have not ever recharged a cars AC since the 70's.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

it is not different all AC systems suffer gas loss and need recharging. Here is the information on Audi UK's website Air conditioning service offer I beleive the "small loss" is c10% per annum
Old 06-22-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it is not different all AC systems suffer gas loss and need recharging. Here is the information on Audi UK's website Air conditioning service offer I beleive the "small loss" is c10% per annum
FWIW, I was in my friend's 2008 Altima this past weekend and the AC was great. I asked him what maintenance he does on it and the answer was, "haven't touched the AC since I bought the car new; it always works fine."
Old 06-22-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Irenesbob,

Did you get the right side blowing warm air fixed? Mine is doing it after about 30 minutes of driving. Quite annoying but not to the level I'd risk taking the car to the dealership to take a look at. If it is a simple re-gas, I'd rather DIY.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have had 10 year old cars work perfectly with zero maintenance so if they lose 10% pa then it would be completely empty. Modern systems will probably require a compressor clutch long before they need a recharge. I think the Audi uses variable pressure not a cycling system so even the clutch is irrelevant.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Irenesbob,

Did you get the right side blowing warm air fixed?.
I am just living with it for 2 reasons: 1) I don't really know if it is not working properly (could be just a part of trying to maintain the set temp); and, 2) my lease is up in a few months lol
Old 06-22-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just living with it for 2 reasons: 1) I don't really know if it is not working properly (could be just a part of trying to maintain the set temp); and, 2) my lease is up in a few months lol
You are the luckiest man on earth!! lol.. well, I am sure this is not working properly. I have both driver and passenger ***** set at 68F. First 30 minutes both side will blow arctic cold air but after than, the right side will blow warm air. I have to adjust the **** to 64F to match the temp on the left side. Besides, I have not seen this happening owning the car for almost 3 years. This is the first time.

Quick Reply: Anyone have A/C problems with their 2012 or 2013 A6?