Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Anyone have A/C problems with their 2012 or 2013 A6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by deeepsix
My 10 year old daughter could do it while watching fortnite videos on YouTube
Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 10 year old daughter could do it while watching fortnite videos on YouTube
I would inform her to ensure she won't turn the sensor the wrong way like I did. I literally over tightened the sensor and broke the compressor. $1200 lesson..... The best part is, AC did not perform any better
Old 06-05-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
I literally over tightened the sensor and broke the compressor. $1200 lesson..... The best part is, AC did not perform any better
Old 06-14-2018, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue on my 2012 A7. AC ice cold - left the car running in the driveway to drop groceries inside, came back out and the fan is just blowing ambient air/compressor not engaging. Researched and found the common issue with the pressure switch and decided to go for it as everything else checked out. $90 for the part, dealer quoted me minimum 2 hours of labor (assuming due to bumper removal)...literally took 4 minutes, the sensor is under the front plastic cover. My 10 year old daughter could do it while watching fortnite videos on YouTube
Which front plastic cover? more details please.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Plastic cover

sorry, the center above the grill - pop the hood, pop the plastic retainer pins and it comes right out. Behind the grill you’ll see the condenser/sensor. Unclip, unscrew, change the O-ring and reinstall.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same issue on my 2012 A7. AC ice cold - left the car running in the driveway to drop groceries inside, came back out and the fan is just blowing ambient air/compressor not engaging. Researched and found the common issue with the pressure switch and decided to go for it as everything else checked out. $90 for the part, dealer quoted me minimum 2 hours of labor (assuming due to bumper removal)...literally took 4 minutes, the sensor is under the front plastic cover. My 10 year old daughter could do it while watching fortnite videos on YouTube
Was this throwing any errors via the OBD? My AC stopped working over the weekend. I checked all the fuses and ran a diagnostic; the fuses were fine and there were no errors in the diagnostic, so I suspect it has to be either a refrigerant leak or the compressor.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muzu
Was this throwing any errors via the OBD? My AC stopped working over the weekend. I checked all the fuses and ran a diagnostic; the fuses were fine and there were no errors in the diagnostic, so I suspect it has to be either a refrigerant leak or the compressor.
no codes that I could pull from ecm/bcm but I don’t have VAGCOM access. I took a calculated gamble based on how it happened (working perfect to not working, no degradation). So pop the hood with max A/C and check to see if the compressor is engaging. Should narrow it down. Could also pick up a cheap refrigerant can from a parts store **to try and check system pressure**. If you have no compressor and your system is full then I’d lean towards the switch
Old 06-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no codes that I could pull from ecm/bcm but I don’t have VAGCOM access. I took a calculated gamble based on how it happened (working perfect to not working, no degradation). So pop the hood with max A/C and check to see if the compressor is engaging. Should narrow it down. Could also pick up a cheap refrigerant can from a parts store **to try and check system pressure**. If you have no compressor and your system is full then I’d lean towards the switch
I bought the parts ($30) since they were cheap enough to just eliminate this as a source of the problem. It was kinda difficult to screw it back on since the spot is tight. I got it halfway down and checked the AC, which still didn't work. I then screwed it further down and notice some gas pressure emitting from the spot. I unscrewed it slightly within a few seconds to stop the pressure. Although the AC still isn't working, the AC button light doesn't come on either now (it was coming on before I tried the repair). Did I just break the system even more?

Thanks

Edit: Apparently I let the refrigerant leak. Since there's not enough pressure, the A/C is disabled by the sensor.

Last edited by Muzu; 07-02-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi a8

Originally Posted by refspd
Drove my A6 about one hundred miles today. On the way back the A/C quits blowing cold. Turned it to low and still nothing. Shortly afterwards the red light on the A/C button goes out and won't come back on. Pulled over and shut the engine off and turned the ignition off. Restarted and still no A/C. Checked again later this evening and the A/C light is working on the button, but its still blowing warm air. Calling the dealer in the morning to schedule a time to bring it in. The car is a 2013 A6 Prestige. Anyone have this happen to their car? Any help is appreciated.
My ac not working and not showing any error/fault codes, what could be the problem? When i put water on condenser and compressor it works fine for sometimes!