Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with some others, that Audi is missing out on their main demographic by not offering this. There demographic is much more likely to have an iPhone than an Android phone. I for one, will probably not be buying an Audi when their Android based system comes out.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DBV
There demographic is much more likely to have an iPhone than an Android phone.
Sorry snagit, but this is getting annoying.
I keep seeing this in this thread and I'm going to call horsepucky. Prove it. Where are the stats that back up your statement?

I work in IS&T for a global firm, and am not exactly making minimum wage. Taking a rough poll of co-workers in and around my paygrade, 65% have android phones, the rest Apple. And for those having Apples, part is due to exchange server issues and corporate.

So?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Android certainly has low end phones but people forget that low income people love the iPhone just like high income. In the ER, I see people who can't pay for their health care but still afford iPhones and quite often the latest ones. Most of these people won't be buying a new Audi.

I'm not sure that either Apple or Android has this market locked up. Obviously one of them probably has an edge but nothing significant enough to ignore the other group.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

Interesting, as I work at a Fortune 500 company and nearly everyone has an iPhone. It is just a plain fact the iPhones demographic is more what Audi should be after. Most people I know still consider an iPhone the cream of the crop and these are people that Audi should be targeting. Also, the exchange and server issues are a thing of the past. Our company would have never gone to Apple if there were issues.

I am done with this thread as it will go nowhere.

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Sorry snagit, but this is getting annoying.
I keep seeing this in this thread and I'm going to call horsepucky. Prove it. Where are the stats that back up your statement?

I work in IS&T for a global firm, and am not exactly making minimum wage. Taking a rough poll of co-workers in and around my paygrade, 65% have android phones, the rest Apple. And for those having Apples, part is due to exchange server issues and corporate.

So?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
I'm a retiree of the largest computer/technology company in the world. I can get their stuff really cheap yet I choose to use Apple products instead for a lot of reasons.
IBM?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
IBM?
HP
Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Ok, I'm going to respond one last time to your comments even though I'm somewhat violating my own wish that the thread didn't turn into an iOS vs. Android discussion.

Firstly, just about all the opinions in your last response are just that - opinions. We all have them. That's ok but no one has any idea how many people will choose a car based in its support of a particular advanced in-car OS. These more completely integrated systems are just now coming into the market. One only has to read through the multitude of MMI threads (something I do regularly as a moderator) to see there are quite a few Audi owner techies out there. I'm sure at some point, someone will put out some research on this in the future but for now it's all conjecture based upon what we know or think we know about marketing.

There is no information announced yet on what Audi will or won't support re iOS in the future. For those already invested in iOS, there is reason for concern for future new and repeat Audi buyers based on the current info available. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels it's an important consideration on the utility and enjoyment of the infotainment systems to come.

As to an "open" or "closed" system, (the war cry of Apple antagonists for years), I have a hard time believing Android in the car will be more "open" as evidenced by the limitation to the Android OS. Not really too much different from iOS other than you can choose which brand of Android phone you like. Great.

As to your previous comment re Apple forcing people to upgrade to their devices, (assuming one is feeling forced at all), I don't see much difference to Samsung or any other Android manf. coming out with the latest and greatest phone one or two times a year. Again, other than you can select a different brand of phone each time you upgrade - with essentially the same Andoid operation beyond cosmetic GUI variables. As to Apple controlling their ecosystem, I won't go into the benefits of standardizing a quality experience here. You can Google away on that one with no end to the arguments either way.

Finally, to sum up the differences in our tone of posts, while we both have our OS preferences and might even agree on Audi offering either system as an option, where we diverge is I don't denigrate Android but advocate a position of inclusion to either one.

I've now expended my enthusiasm for the subject so please go ahead and have the last word. I'm ok with that.
It is funny - you try and dismiss my comments as just "opinions" - yet you stay silent when others post silly incorrect statements like:

" It is just a plain fact the iPhones demographic is more what Audi should be after."

and

"There demographic is much more likely to have an iPhone than an Android phone."

and

"I'd bet the iPhone has the millionaire cell phone market locked up. Nobody wants to be seen with an Android device. "

and

"Most people I know still consider an iPhone the cream of the crop and these are people that Audi should be targeting."

There are far more FACTS in my statements that these erroneous statements others posted. Alas these type of comments are not unusual among some apple users who mistakenly think the world revolves around Apple. It is no wonder some people (including myself) do not like Apple - besides all of the other factors you also have a bunch of elitist attitudes from some Apple users.

Anyway, I am not going to bother responding to your other points because I agree, this whole thread is becoming a senseless exercise now. I will simply say what I said before, this whole thing is no big deal to most people.

The likelihood is the vast vast majority of people choosing a car do not do so because of the OS it uses.

And it is not like you and your iphone are going to be cutoff. You can still make and receive calls via bluetooth and have some othe functionality - bluetooth doesn't go away and bluetooth is an open standard

In the end, this whole thing will really be no big deal to most people

Last edited by Maverick61; 03-04-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Banned

At the current rate in which Apple is using software to outdate their own hardware, I'd stay far away from such a gimmick in my cars.

Besides, I read that Audi is using Android for an operating system in their telematics.

Everything would be better if it ran Ubuntu.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It seems we have some technology/software experts in this thread. IMO the only real question here is why not both? Cost can't be one of the issues. Apple and Google have already put the money into the R&D and I doubt they'll be selling this software to the car companies because they want their OS to be supported. I would think that it would take relatively little time/money to implement it into MMI for the huge value to adds to their vehicles.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
It seems we have some technology/software experts in this thread. IMO the only real question here is why not both? Cost can't be one of the issues. Apple and Google have already put the money into the R&D and I doubt they'll be selling this software to the car companies because they want their OS to be supported. I would think that it would take relatively little time/money to implement it into MMI for the huge value to adds to their vehicles.

Ohh!!! Can I answer this one?!?! I AM A MAC USER. However unlike some of the crazies here (j/k BTW); I gave up my $500 iPhone to own a 70K car. Iphone doesn't support RSAP so I bought a Galaxy S4 which I found out is superior in every way to an iPhone. Just being honest.

Well again. I have not seen this Apple implementation as of yet but I am going to assume the apple software will be an iPhone APP that launches via AIRPLAY a "carmode" interface to your phone that shows up on the screen of the vehicle. From there you will speak to SIRI or control the interface to provide you web enabled services and apps.

HERE IS THE CATCH. I WILL BET ANYONE HERE MONEY THAT THIS DATA SERVICE REQUIRES "TETHERING" OR A SEPARATE DATA PLAN AND APPLE AND YOUR CELLPHONE SERVICE PROVIDER WILL PROFIT. I am not trying to make anyone rich but me.

Here is why I really care and what few in this thread have said. MY AUDI ALREADY DOES EVERYTHING THIS IS PRO-PORTING TO DO. Online Maps. Yep. Audi Connect. Yep. News. Yep. Phone integration. Yep Text Messages. Yep. Play Videos. Yep. Listen to Music. Yep. Stream Music. Yep. Video from my Phone. Yep . Turn by turn navigation. YEP

So why on earth does Audi care to have apple provide the services that it currently provides?? They may in the future support this but I think they are satisfied with their current telematics.

Why am I excited about android? Because ( and I maybe wrong) I expect an android OS based car interface and not just an overlay or app. I expect that the partnership to provide head unit software and true Android OS interfaces. Not integrated with my phone but based on the real Andriod operating system. I personally would prefer a google glass like implementation and more importantly I am OK IF THEY DONT RUSH IT. But since I aready know that the CARPLAY makes my head unit a big ipod and I have that service without the apple look - I dont need it

Last edited by lmbatts; 03-05-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi