Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi A6 C7 2012: White... with rust spots and yellowish OEM protector film?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 C7 2012: White... with rust spots and yellowish OEM protector film?!

I bought my 2012 back in September of last year, a few weeks after the model arrived at my local Audi dealer.

I had choice between the two first ones, being a white, or oolong(?) metallic color. I decided to go with the white one - meh.

I was wondering, if any of you had problems with your white C7s, with some quite intense "rust" dots. I had a 2009 A4, also white, and do remember having a few spots after two years or so, but I've only had this car for less than 10 months, and it's already getting pretty intense.

Also, I've noticed, that the "clear" stickers, behing the front wheel (which I think are to protect from rocks/brake dust?!) are turning intensely yellow - and that, again only being 10 months old - and is starting to peel at the bottom - both sides. Any ideas on what's up with that too ? A friend of mine actually asked me if I had "tinted" the stickers/guard, so much there's a yellowish-dirty tint difference.

Should I be concerned by the rust spots ? Some are probably about 1/8" in radius, if not more - and quite everywhere. And I kind of feel stupid bringing a car in for having "yellow" protective stickers... but again, it's so damn ugly?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I dont have any rust spots but my clear guards are starting to look a tad yellow. I wipe them down every few days.

If they start to look too yellow Ill have the dealer replace them
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

You should try using this.

Aquartz Iron Cut
Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

same here: no rust but clear guard getting yellow! I notice the yellowing of the clear guard long time ago !
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I def dont have any rust spots on the paint but the clear stickers are def starting to turn a yellow shade. I wash my car every single week too and it is garage kept. My last white car (G37c) also had this issue with the stickers. When I had my clear bra put on I asked the installer to take off the dealer ones and put new ones on and they were great and never yellowed. The product was VentureShield.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

The film is probably not nearly as good as some of the stuff out there (i saw the same thing happen to the carerra's and gt3's), some film can and will yellow (which is why 3m droped their 5yr yellowing warranty when they bought venture shield). you can try cleaning it with xpel or something, but it might be too late. just have them replaced. and if you do, use a sealant on it to protect and block the uv rays...which is what yellows the film - and clean it with a cleaner desiged for clear bra pieces.

as for the rust spots, that's pretty common to see on white cars. a mild polish will remove them, like 3M hand glaze if by hand or if you have a porter cable, try menzerna nano polish. you could also clay bar them out. no worries, they are just spots on the clear and will come out with some light work.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

the rust spots are normal on a white car. I had them on my white bmw as well. They are mainly in the rear of the car (rear bumper and trunk lid) and happen because of brake dust and other metal dust that gets embedded into the clear coat. A good clay bar should remove it.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by day1yun
the rust spots are normal on a white car. I had them on my white bmw as well. They are mainly in the rear of the car (rear bumper and trunk lid) and happen because of brake dust and other metal dust that gets embedded into the clear coat. A good clay bar should remove it.
the rust spots are due to what is commonly called rail dust.