Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi A6 grill no license plate filler part where?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 grill no license plate filler part where?

Can someone help me find a grill without the license plate filler area? I'm in Miami and here we don't need that license plate area... But finding a grille is tough.. I found some custom job here in this form.. but can't find it again... Is it a custom job? Is there a part number? A link I can show the Audi dealer? Why do they need my particular VIN number after I tell them the model?

Help! Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default From forum posting called "Chrome front grille A6 - Done!"

I found this picture on this forum.... from a post called "Chrome front grille A6 - Done!"

That's what I want!
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want a factory gill, or an upgraded grill? My car does not have an area to put a front plate. I am in IL where it is the law, but I ordered mine without the holder. Dealer said I had to sign off on that for liability purposes (which I never signed) In any event, the dealer, especially in FL where it is not the law, I would imagine they can find the part for the grill with no plate. However I am sure the grill will be expensive.

Here is a site where you can order an S6 grill and I imagine without the front plate. Piece for piece swap out from what I am told.
http://www.oemplus.com/grill-s6-p-3017.html

The reason they need your vin is to look up the exact parts "catalog" for your car. For me I want to explore the RS6 grill and my local can't help me as they are not allowed to view those parts. That is why I am working with a dealer in the UK, but he still does not have the part listed. Parts between model styles of any audi can be so miniscule in differences, that they need to ensure your VIN is the right model to support a given part.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midlantica
Can someone help me find a grill without the license plate filler area? I'm in Miami and here we don't need that license plate area... But finding a grille is tough.. I found some custom job here in this form.. but can't find it again... Is it a custom job? Is there a part number? A link I can show the Audi dealer? Why do they need my particular VIN number after I tell them the model?

Help! Thanks in advance.
Inexperience. Just take off the black plastic piece holding your license plate and you will find a nice surpise.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Banned

Help! Thanks in advance.
The reason they need your VIN to get you the correct part for your exact car is the fact that there are 27 different grills listed for the C7 A6, that is not a typo, 27! In the wild world of Audi parts the 2nd toughest thing to find for a car is the license plate filler that did not come on the car from the factory but will still work for your car, even with a VIN.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Are you saying I can remove the plastic filler that was there to hold the license plate and then i will have a nice 'comb' grid without that flat area? Really?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Because I removed the plastic license plate holder and it still has that ugly... flat area (with the ugly screw holes)...
Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found this picture on this forum.... from a post called "Chrome front grille A6 - Done!"

That's what I want!
That looks like the grill from the S6 (seems to be a design element of the S Models)

Because I removed the plastic license plate holder and it still has that ugly... flat area (with the ugly screw holes)...
For US models, they screw the license plate holder directly into the grill. When I removed mine after purchase, I saw the 4 holes for the holder + 2 additional holes. I sanded down the plastic that was chewed up from the screws to make it even and left it like that.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the US method of mounting plates is just to punch holes, there have been a couple topics on how to remedy that. People are either using black vinyl wrap and covering the holes, or they are buying black plugs at a home improvement store and plugging the holes that way.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you saying I can remove the plastic filler that was there to hold the license plate and then i will have a nice 'comb' grid without that flat area? Really?
Yep, that's what a couple of us here did. Are you in the US?

Quick Reply: Audi A6 grill no license plate filler part where?