Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi A6 grill no license plate filler part where?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joseaudi
Yep, that's what a couple of us here did. Are you in the US?
Do you have a picture of this? I'm in southern california and I just removed the front license plate holder to see the ugly screw holes.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by adhesiv
Do you have a picture of this? I'm in southern california and I just removed the front license plate holder to see the ugly screw holes.
Plate screw hole solution threads:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2836990

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2831929

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2824443
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks all for responses. I did not know this before, but I guess what I'm looking for is actually the S6 grille which appears to have no license plate filler area (in my location). I was not really trying to make my car look sportier or fancier, I was just turned off by that unnecessary grille license-plate-flattened-area. It was aesthetically unpleasing, even irritating. I guess it's possible I saw the S6 grille and subconsciously remembered it.

I just figured this whole process would be so much easier: Google search, find product name and ID, tell dealer, drop car off, done same day. This is such a rigmarole.

My dealer is now saying if and when he happens to see a car that has the grille I want he will look up the VIN number and get back to me... I'm like what the...?! The closest I can get is apparently 'kinda like the S6'... And I've even shown pictures from this forum where the guy modded his A6 grille... I'm not sure what the next steps are... Keep on calling them? Call custom non-Audi shops and hope they don't do a hatchet job on it? I suppose giving up is an option... I love my new Audi... there's just this one thing...
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I have an A6 grille with no license plate. Had to be replaced due to a crack. Told them not to install the license plate holder afterwards.

In the US the license plate holder is a separate part.

now I have a nice pristine grille with no holes in it.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midlantica
Thanks all for responses. I did not know this before, but I guess what I'm looking for is actually the S6 grille which appears to have no license plate filler area (in my location). I was not really trying to make my car look sportier or fancier, I was just turned off by that unnecessary grille license-plate-flattened-area. It was aesthetically unpleasing, even irritating. I guess it's possible I saw the S6 grille and subconsciously remembered it.

I just figured this whole process would be so much easier: Google search, find product name and ID, tell dealer, drop car off, done same day. This is such a rigmarole.

My dealer is now saying if and when he happens to see a car that has the grille I want he will look up the VIN number and get back to me... I'm like what the...?! The closest I can get is apparently 'kinda like the S6'... And I've even shown pictures from this forum where the guy modded his A6 grille... I'm not sure what the next steps are... Keep on calling them? Call custom non-Audi shops and hope they don't do a hatchet job on it? I suppose giving up is an option... I love my new Audi... there's just this one thing...
I think you're still incorrect. S6 grill will have thr same basic shape as the a6 grill except for color and the dual chrome horizontal lines. There is no flattened spot on either grill. Did you take off the plate holder on your car?
Also s6 s5 lighter color grills (grey) show more of the details of the grill so don't hide slots that allow air into the engine as well as the monochromatic black grill. The slots pop out more in the grey s6 grill

Last edited by joseaudi; 04-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joseaudi
I think you're still incorrect. S6 grill will have thr same basic shape as the a6 grill except for color and the dual chrome horizontal lines. There is no flattened spot on either grill. Did you take off the plate holder on your car?
Also s6 s5 lighter color grills (grey) show more of the details of the grill so don't hide slots that allow air into the engine as well as the monochromatic black grill. The slots pop out more in the grey s6 grill
joseaudi is correct, but is Midlantica talking about the gray flat area as shown in these pics? I'm starting to get a headache following this thread : )

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2844824

See this S6 thread, you'll see that the grill has the filler area as well and some S6 owners liking the black over gray.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2844251&page=2