Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Care

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huntergts
There is also a major spark plug replacement service at 35k miles. Audi's are quite expensive to maintain. Not your typical honda with oil change only service up til 100k.
According to AoA, on the 3.0T - 55k. The 2.0 TFSI is at 35k.

Much of Audi's high maintenance costs is due the dealerships' rates.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been studying the literature, and for C7 3.0T owner (including the maintenance chart at http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/11...Chart_2012.pdf which is more user-friendly than the one in the owner's manual), it looks like the required maintenance covered by Audi Care largely consists of:

4 oil changes
2 cabin air filter changes
0, 1, or 2 brake fluid changes (depending on whether they're even covered, and depending on whether you rack up 45,000 miles before you've owned the car 2 years, in which case you definitely don't get your brake fluid changed as part of Audi Care)

The oil changes would run about $100 each (8 quarts of Mobil 1 at $8 each, a filter at $10, and $25 worth of labor). Chances are you can reset the service reminder yourself by pressing a secret combination of buttons on the dashboard. The cabin air filters are around $15 each at RockAuto.com (assuming you decide to change them at all) and can be swapped-out at home. All the other stuff can be done in the driveway, and it's pretty-much guaranteed that if your car is on the lift at the dealer for any kind of warranty repair, the mechanic is going to alert you to anything that needs attention (they're always on the prowl for ways to generate more business in the shop).

My experience on multiple occasions with BMW (which, unlike Audi, covers scheduled maintenance for the duration of the warranty) is that when the car goes in for the scheduled service, the stuff where there's an evidence trail (such as changing the oil and filter, etc.) gets done, and all the "inspect the brake lights" type of stuff gets checked off regardless of whether the mechanic has actually looked at it or not.

So in all, as you may have guessed, I don't think Audi Care is a good investment. It IS important, though, to keep receipts for oil and filters in the event that you have trouble with your engine under warranty and Audi asks why you apparently haven't had your scheduled maintenance done.

I'd welcome others to challenge my thinking if I'm overlooking something...

Last edited by spoon2000; 02-05-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon2000
I have been studying the literature, and for C7 3.0T owner (including the maintenance chart at http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/11...Chart_2012.pdf which is more user-friendly than the one in the owner's manual), it looks like the required maintenance covered by Audi Care largely consists of:

4 oil changes
2 cabin air filter changes
0, 1, or 2 brake fluid changes (depending on whether they're even covered, and depending on whether you rack up 45,000 miles before you've owned the car 2 years, in which case you definitely don't get your brake fluid changed as part of Audi Care)

The oil changes would run about $100 each (8 quarts of Mobil 1 at $8 each, a filter at $10, and $25 worth of labor). Chances are you can reset the service reminder yourself by pressing a secret combination of buttons on the dashboard. The cabin air filters are around $15 each at RockAuto.com (assuming you decide to change them at all) and can be swapped-out at home. All the other stuff can be done in the driveway, and it's pretty-much guaranteed that if your car is on the lift at the dealer for any kind of warranty repair, the mechanic is going to alert you to anything that needs attention (they're always on the prowl for ways to generate more business in the shop).

My experience on multiple occasions with BMW (which, unlike Audi, covers scheduled maintenance for the duration of the warranty) is that when the car goes in for the scheduled service, the stuff where there's an evidence trail (such as changing the oil and filter, etc.) gets done, and all the "inspect the brake lights" type of stuff gets checked off regardless of whether the mechanic has actually looked at it or not.

So in all, as you may have guessed, I don't think Audi Care is a good investment. It IS important, though, to keep receipts for oil and filters in the event that you have trouble with your engine under warranty and Audi asks why you apparently haven't had your scheduled maintenance done.

I'd welcome others to challenge my thinking if I'm overlooking something...
You are saying Audi care is not a good investment based on your thinking that all dealer cheats their customers by charging for work that they did not do.
Also, $25 for labor is on the low side, considering the dealer charge $140 an hour.
Two brake fluid changes are covered and it is based on time or miles.
If you know how to reset the service reminder by pressing a secret combination of buttons, please share the procedure with us.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
You are saying Audi care is not a good investment based on your thinking that all dealer cheats their customers by charging for work that they did not do.
Not entirely true. I also said that most of the things on the early scheduled maintenance lists are straightforward check-it-yourself items.

Also, $25 for labor is on the low side, considering the dealer charge $140 an hour.
My pricing was based on what I'd pay my local imported car mechanic to do an oil change with me providing the oil and filter.

Two brake fluid changes are covered and it is based on time or miles.
That is very helpful to know. Any idea how much those cost at the dealer? I'd guess less than $150 since it's not a complicated job.

If you know how to reset the service reminder by pressing a secret combination of buttons, please share the procedure with us.
I don't know of a service interval reset procedure, but it would be unfortunate if Audi required a reset tool (not that it's stopped them in the past in some cases on some models). There are so many settings on the C7 that owners can adjust that I'd be surprised if the service reset isn't in there somewhere.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure, I can do most of the scheduled maintenance themself, but I rather spend my weekend doing other things. Audi also update all the software in the car if necessary during the schedule maintenance.
The last time I check, it was $225 for a brake fluid change.
As far as I know, the oil change interval can be reset, but resetting the scheudle maintenance warning requires a Vag Com.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not an argument for or against AudiCare, but in the 12 years that I had my BMW E46 328Ci, the dealer upped their labor from $75 to $150.

Luckily I have a great mechanic that can address 85% (conservative estimate) of the cars issues.

NOTE: I did get AudiCare, but beyond that if my mechanic can take care of it, then he is doing it for me.