Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Connect and T-Mobile

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
By the way Verizon and AT&T came with data shared planes for smartphones, ipads etc so I really doubt you can use the verizons sim card because it is a complete different tecnology vs Tmobile and AT&T but if you have AT&T you can ask them to share your plan with your "ipad" and use that sim card (at 2g) with your car for 10 dlls per month vs 30 dlls tmobile audi connect 3g service, and the google maps will not kill you with overage, just a thought
I was thinking the same thing, $10 for a tablet connection and you're off to the races. Does everything work without paying T-Mobile for the official plan?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by robertogag
Thanks

What about using the Audi-sim with the "other specs" (epc.tmobile.com) I got a deal from Audi and pre-paid 36 months for a great price so I may try to make the best of it.

It works ok for google earth and online destinations but wi-fi is not usable.
epc.tmobile.com or other APNs I could find on line for T-mobile did not work with the Audi supplied SIM. When I used epc.tmobile.com with Audi SIM, all web pages were referred to a blank web page with something about a machine to machine MVNO in the internet addrress bar. What kind of deal did you get on the pre-paid?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Neurobit
Does anyone know if AT&T or VZ prepaid sims are also limited to 30 days of use? If not, I may get one just to keep the Google Earth functionality (Seems like 2G tradeoff for not using TMobile will be fine if I use this for Google Earth only - WiFi has never been unusable for me as the latency & speeds on TMobile are dismal, even on 3G).

Not a deal breaker really. My 6 month subscription ended last month and since my area is all cached on the HDD, it's not a huge deal, but rather nice to have if I travel to an area where I have not been in before.

Neurobit
Other than the TRU SIM, I did not see anything that has more than 30 days. However, TRU SIM cost per megabyte is so high, the costs do not work for me at all.

AT&T should work, but only at 2G speeds, which would be fine for Google search and Google Earth maps. So if you are on the new Share AT&T plans, get a card for tablet for $10/month and use it in your Audi. The same will not work with Verizon, since they use totally different technology for 2G and 3G internet connection.

With the T-mobile SIM and changing the APN to epc.tmobile.com, the latency was cut in quarter (150 ms instead of 650 ms), and speeds doubled to quadrupled.

For now I will continue with the $25/month 1.5 GB Tmobile prepaid.

Last edited by weth; 09-13-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PhatBoyG
I was thinking the same thing, $10 for a tablet connection and you're off to the races. Does everything work without paying T-Mobile for the official plan?
If you are on the AT&T share plan, you should be able to get everything working, albeit at 2G speeds only. Verizon would be a no go (I have Verizon so I am a no go )
Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by weth
epc.tmobile.com or other APNs I could find on line for T-mobile did not work with the Audi supplied SIM. When I used epc.tmobile.com with Audi SIM, all web pages were referred to a blank web page with something about a machine to machine MVNO in the internet addrress bar. What kind of deal did you get on the pre-paid?

I got 36 months for $400.

Basically 6 months free plus 30 "extra" months at 400 - $13.30 per month.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Huh. I thought the prepaid AT&T deal at time of delivery was $450 for the extra 30 months (half price).
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 AM
RSP
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi Connect/T-Mobile Subscription Extension

It is my understanding that the recently announced Audi Connect/T-Mobile 3 years (2.5 years after complimentary 6-months expires)subscription extension is only being offered to those newly activating or will activate their complimentary subscriptions. In other words, only being offered to new Audi purchasers after the new program was put in place and they have 7-days after activation to decide to accept the extension offer. Further, the cost is $450 that works out to $15/month for the extra 2.5 years.

I have written to several Audi Executives as well as to Audi Care to express my disappointment about the program not being offered to those who picked up their Audi Connect capable vehicles prior to this new program being offered, including those still in their 6-month complimentary period. My dealership is as bewildered as I am as to why Audi/T-Mobile has limited the eligibility to participate. I have written T-Mobile and they are geared to their phone subscriptions and had no idea what I was talking about.

On a somewhat positive note, my response from Audi is that they are reevaluating the current program and that they are aware of the unhappiness of Audi customers who have been excluded from participating in this program that brings the cost of Audi Connect/WiFi Hotspot service to a more reasonable level with the only carrier that Audi has contracted with to provide this service. I pointed out to Audi that we already have to pay for Sirius service including an additional fee to receive live traffic from them and a $30/month fee to T-Mobile to use Audi Connect in our vehicles was getting to be a bit much to use the Audi technology options that we paid a pretty penny for when we purchased out vehicles.

My suggestion to those that feel as I do is to contact Audi and let them know how you feel.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Already wrote to AudiUSA............
Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RSP
It is my understanding that the recently announced Audi Connect/T-Mobile 3 years (2.5 years after complimentary 6-months expires)subscription extension is only being offered to those newly activating or will activate their complimentary subscriptions. In other words, only being offered to new Audi purchasers after the new program was put in place and they have 7-days after activation to decide to accept the extension offer. Further, the cost is $450 that works out to $15/month for the extra 2.5 years.
Is there a pointer somewhere to this offer. I just activated my complimentary subscriptions last week but did not get this offer.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by blarg
Is there a pointer somewhere to this offer. I just activated my complimentary subscriptions last week but did not get this offer.
You can only go through your Audi dealer to get this offer. They should have the form - you pay them.

Don't delay - you only have 7 days from your delivery before it expires.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
t-mobile audi Connect offer.pdf (179.2 KB, 249 views)

Quick Reply: Audi Connect and T-Mobile