Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Connect/T-Mobile 3G Sunset Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Audi Connect/T-Mobile 3G Sunset Update

For those Audis with the 3G T-Mobile Connect version, the latest on the discontinuing of 3G service will take place beginning in July. This is according to a T-Mobile US Service Tech I spoke to yesterday. He said that 2G service might still be available, albeit at much slower speed but this is not confirmed. He also told me that the 3G turn-off will be staged regionally over some period of time but no details were available.
Models affected are all Audi 2012-2015 with T-Mobile sourced Audi Connect.

Audi and Mojo have announced a dealer installed 4G solution which will provide various connected features in conjunction to a dedicated mobile app. (No mention of Google search or Google Earth which is unlikely). No dates or costs have been announced. See link for info:
https://www.designnews.com/automotiv...ular-shut-down
Old 05-31-2022, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Audi Connect was impacted with the 3g shut down. I got a notice this month saying I needed to activate my Audi Connect. When I tried I was told a plan doesn't exist. So I contacted them and they told me that 3G was shut down in Feb 22, 2022. However I was charged in Mar (24th) (still worked in March as I took a trip to Fla and used it for the whole wee), April and May. I also informed them of the charges and they are issuing me a refund for those last 3 months.

Now, what to do with a car that I specifically bought for the Maps, the My Audi Connect features? I use the "Online Destination" feature the most in my car and now that's dead. I'm really PO'ed that Audi doesn't have a way to upgrade the modems in the car to be able to handle the 4g signals, or have some work around for those of us with a car that's only 10 years old (2013 A6).

This does not give me confidence in buying another Audi in the future.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Rush,
contact you local Audi dealer. I have the newer 4G version, but I remember reading an Audi pamphlet that older 3G models were being fitted with a new module of some sort, and an update, that would allow them to retain service. I think you may even get google maps back, unlike us with the 4G version...

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2022, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by larry23142314
Rush,
contact you local Audi dealer. I have the newer 4G version, but I remember reading an Audi pamphlet that older 3G models were being fitted with a new module of some sort, and an update, that would allow them to retain service. I think you may even get google maps back, unlike us with the 4G version...

Cheers!
does not apply to this car
Old 06-05-2022, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Rush2112
My Audi Connect was impacted with the 3g shut down. I got a notice this month saying I needed to activate my Audi Connect. When I tried I was told a plan doesn't exist. So I contacted them and they told me that 3G was shut down in Feb 22, 2022. However I was charged in Mar (24th) (still worked in March as I took a trip to Fla and used it for the whole wee), April and May. I also informed them of the charges and they are issuing me a refund for those last 3 months.

Now, what to do with a car that I specifically bought for the Maps, the My Audi Connect features? I use the "Online Destination" feature the most in my car and now that's dead. I'm really PO'ed that Audi doesn't have a way to upgrade the modems in the car to be able to handle the 4g signals, or have some work around for those of us with a car that's only 10 years old (2013 A6).

This does not give me confidence in buying another Audi in the future.
best way would be to implement CarPlay/Android Auto. Unfortunately the MMI in your car cannot do anything with a 4g signal. It’s just too old, and the tech has changed quite rapidly in 10 years.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just install CarPlay/Android Auto with a simple installation of plug and play. Of course you need to enable rolling video playback VDI. You can do that your self if you have VCDS or have the dealer do it for you.
Easy instructions how to do this are here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...input-3038358/