Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi does well in Consumer Reports Reliability Rankings

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi does well in Consumer Reports Reliability Rankings

Audi was the only European make to make the top ten in reliability and moved up a great deal since the last survey. I am never really sure what these surveys mean, but it can't be bad to be ranked highly.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Our Q7 was never in the shop. Ever. Six years. Flawless.

These are solid automobiles.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dadc4s
Audi was the only European make to make the top ten in reliability and moved up a great deal since the last survey. I am never really sure what these surveys mean, but it can't be bad to be ranked highly.
The CR car survey do not mean much, their sampling method is flawed. They sshould survey the general population instead of just CR subscribers, the sample size should also be all the same among brands. My last 4 Audi have been below average in reliabilty.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The CR car survey do not mean much, their sampling method is flawed. They sshould survey the general population instead of just CR subscribers, the sample size should also be all the same among brands. My last 4 Audi have been below average in reliabilty.
IMO, this CR group that is being considered is another sample. The statistical significance of this sample is debatable.

That said, it is great if Audi performs well in the sample considered... unless you argue that CR subscribers are majority Ford buyers, or something on those lines...
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think the only group with any meaningful reliability stats is AUDI itself. What are the chances they (or any car maker) would release the data on warranty repairs, replacements, etc. and on the kinds and causes of service visits their dealers handle? I would think zero, unfortunately.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by antispam
IMO, this CR group that is being considered is another sample. The statistical significance of this sample is debatable.

That said, it is great if Audi performs well in the sample considered... unless you argue that CR subscribers are majority Ford buyers, or something on those lines...
The smaller the sample size, the greater the margin of error for each participant, its the law of averages.
I think a majority of CR readers place a high valve on relaibility, they tend to buy cars like Toyota and Honda.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

It seems odd they didn't include the A6 with the A7 as mechanically they are essentially the same - you would think there would have been more A6 than A7 owners in the survey. But then again, it's Consumer Reports....
Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really do not take Consumer Reports as more than a single data point. When I started the search that resulted in the A6, I found a CU report that showed the anticipated reliability for the 3.0T engine to be "Poor" (black circle). It made me ask some questions at the dealer (which were appropriately dodged completely with sales babble). I did a bunch of google searches, and found that the older version of the motor had some problems with water pumps, and the general sense was that Audi took good care of them.

My personal experience with my 97 A4 weighed much more heavily in my decision (exceptional reliability).

A good reliability report from CU on Audi in general does not bring much comfort (or lack thereof) to me... First, its too general (not specific to the A6 which has a ton of new technology), nor is the sample size or sampling technique (CU members I believe, hardly a demographic cross section) really that helpful in my view. Its a data point, nothing more.

Now having said all that, my "data point" experience of 3.5 months, 4300 miles is that I have YET to find a defect, or have a material problem with my A6. Sure hope it stays that way. For this period of time, its the best car I have ever owned, exceeding even the record of our Toyota.