Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Pure Protection/ Tire Protection plan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently had my rear brake pads replaced without replacing the rotors. I had already checked the rotor myself and determined it did need replacement or resurfaceing. The cost was $323 - $48.42 discount for a total of $282.31 including tax on the pads. The break down is $210 labor, $106.20 pads and $6.84 tax not including the discount. In the future I will be replacing them myself since it is simple to do. In fact I have been researching alternative pads for the fron and rear for both street and track use. Keep in mind that I have the Stasis front breaks on my A6 which uses the Alcon Mono6 caliber. I will post manufacter and P/N once I have confirmation.

Last edited by jr'sAudiA6; 02-27-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
I recently had my rear brake pads replaced without replacing the rotors. I had already checked the rotor myself and determined it did need replacement or resurfaceing. The cost was $323 - $48.42 discount for a total of $282.31 including tax on the pads. The break down is $210 labor, $106.20 pads and $6.84 tax not including the discount. In the future I will be replacing them myself since it is simple to do. In fact I have been researching alternative pads for the fron and rear for both street and track use. Keep in mind that I have the Stasis front breaks on my A6 which uses the Alcon Mono6 caliber. I will post manufacter and P/N once I have confirmation.
How many miles on the odometer before the rear pads needed replacement? How are your fronts doing?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
How many miles on the odometer before the rear pads needed replacement? How are your fronts doing?
I had about 21K miles on the car when replacing the rear pads. The front brake pads for the Stasis brakes are in need of being replaced as well. I have about 4mm of pad left. Keep in mind that this is not normal pad wear. I have had the car on the track for HPDE 5 times now. Neither pad are meant for track use as I have recently learned. So, please do not take this as normal or typical wear for the pads.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had about 21K miles on the car when replacing the rear pads. The front brake pads for the Stasis brakes are in need of being replaced as well. I have about 4mm of pad left. Keep in mind that this is not normal pad wear. I have had the car on the track for HPDE 5 times now. Neither pad are meant for track use as I have recently learned. So, please do not take this as normal or typical wear for the pads.
Thanks! Summer tires? Only asked since the track time will probably reduce the average life of the tires too.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Thanks! Summer tires? Only asked since the track time will probably reduce the average life of the tires too.
I got about 15K miles out of the Pirelli P Zero tires that came on the car. I replaced with Michelin Pilot Super Sport which has a 30K mile tread warranty. They seem to be wearing less than the Pirellis. Have tracked the car twice so far with the Michelins.

Recently purchased a set of A7 20" rims which will be for the track and once I have my original rims refinished they will be outfitted with A/S tires.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I got about 15K miles out of the Pirelli P Zero tires that came on the car. I replaced with Michelin Pilot Super Sport which has a 30K mile tread warranty. They seem to be wearing less than the Pirellis. Have tracked the car twice so far with the Michelins.

Recently purchased a set of A7 20" rims which will be for the track and once I have my original rims refinished they will be outfitted with A/S tires.
Thanks again! Not surprised about the P Zeros. Hope the Super Sports are giving you the same fun at the track. The smell of rubber when drifting at the corners is addictive.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So is it normal for the rear pads to wear before the fronts? I had to replace my rear pads @ 33k and fronts (after brake pad wear indicator came on) @ 40k. My service advisor said it's just the way these cars (A6's) are set up that the rears go first...

Last edited by audi40; 02-27-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi40
So is it normal for the rear pads to wear before the fronts? I had to replace my rear pads @ 33k and fronts (after brake pad wear indicator came on) @ 40k. My service advisor said it's just the way these cars (A6's) are set up that the rears go first...
Well the original front brakes where replaced with the Stasis 370mm BBK at 14.5K miles so in this case the rear brakes already had 14.5K miles when new pads were installed with the new brakes. Also tracking the car will wear them down much quicker than normal especially since they are not intended for that kind of high speed repeated braking. I was not surprised to find that they were worn out. In the future I expect to get many more miles out them since I will not use them on the track anymore.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dssdmd
I have been driving for 60 years, both in New England, and 2 years in Europe when in in the Army- in peacetime. For all the cars,(Always Japanese, German or Sweedish , I have never faced a megabuck cost for repairs, even when I tend to keep cars 5-7 years. I maintain well, but am not compulsive. My wife has had a number of cars since we have been married 43 years, with a similar history. If I had bought plans every time,(which I did twice) I would be way way behind! I am may best insurance company. Fortunately I can afford to pay when events have occurred, so I stopped buying protection for my Wife's 2011 A4, and my new 2013 A6. If I buy policies on both cars, it will cost $6000.00. Lets assume we have an issue on either or both cars that cost $8000.00 in the future. Would I pay $6000.00 to buy $2000.00 worth of protection? No! Never lost a wheel either.I can earn more $ in a conservative investment on $6000.00 also
+1

I agree. A Pothole ruined one of the tires/rim of my last car 3-series, which cost about $400 for the rim and $150 for the tire. Beyond that I didn't have any other tire issues with that car in the nearly 13 years I owned it.

I did have a rim repair with my current A6, but that was only $70.

For me, I don't think there will be that many incidents to make these plans worth it.

Then again it depends if you have many of these incidents, you have to determine if if cost you more than these plans cost. If so, then I think it is worthwhile to consider.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dssdmd
I have been driving for 60 years, both in New England, and 2 years in Europe when in in the Army- in peacetime. For all the cars,(Always Japanese, German or Sweedish , I have never faced a megabuck cost for repairs, even when I tend to keep cars 5-7 years. I maintain well, but am not compulsive. My wife has had a number of cars since we have been married 43 years, with a similar history. If I had bought plans every time,(which I did twice) I would be way way behind! I am may best insurance company. Fortunately I can afford to pay when events have occurred, so I stopped buying protection for my Wife's 2011 A4, and my new 2013 A6. If I buy policies on both cars, it will cost $6000.00. Lets assume we have an issue on either or both cars that cost $8000.00 in the future. Would I pay $6000.00 to buy $2000.00 worth of protection? No! Never lost a wheel either.I can earn more $ in a conservative investment on $6000.00 also
Buying my 3rd A6. Had previous bought 100K mi extended warranties for $3000 each. Did not break even on either. Not buying one for this car.

Quick Reply: Audi Pure Protection/ Tire Protection plan?