Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is bang and olufsen worth it

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Let me know if you need any help. I've already done a full Bose replacement with success. I have all of the wire diagrams you'll need.

About to do another major upgrade, too. That should be under way in early November. Just waiting on a new DSP to arrive.
Thank you, SubterFUSE. I'll be in touch with you when I'm start heading that direction.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default B&O

I have B&O on my a6 3.0T and i had Bose previously on the old cars (both A4).

For me, there is a huge difference between the B&O and the BOSE - the sound from the B&O setup is rich, clear and vibrant and seems very well tuned for this car.

I also had a good custom setup on my A4 (upgrading BOSE) - all build around FOCAL hi-end speakers and FOCAL amps including sound attenuation (dynamat, etc.)

With the amount of money B&O costs you could build a proper or maybe a better aftermarket setup, but this means tearing down the car (as i did): remove everything from the car to add the sound attenuation, remove door panels and everything from the trunk, add custom wire harness, put up a new head unit and a sound processor, etc.

Also you may/will need to spend time tuning the new setup (even adding/changing different things).

All the hardware + labor + your time might just cost you a similar amount of money you pay for the B&O option.

It is a matter of choice (as some colleagues said above). For me it was easy to choose considering my history .

Hope it helps.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O in 2015 S4 - very good

I've had 3 high-end audio systems in cars (besides those I've installed myself) and I'd rank them in the following order:

1. 2010 (and onwards) VW GTI Dynaudio. Stellar - great sound stage.
2. 2015 Audi S4 with B&O - it's very good and easily worth the money.
3. 2013 Range Rover Evoque with Meridian system.

The B&O in the audi has very good sound, and handles volume very well. As I turn the volume up, I have to aggressively have to turn down the bass.

The amplifier does warm up, and as it does, bass response increases, so I have to turn down bass to maintain sound quality.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of old resurrection - and I think the A6 B&O is different from the S5 B&O?

Either way, I'm still happy with my B&O, to Subter's dismay
Old 01-22-2016, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Big difference in the B&O from the B8 series vs the C7 and not just the price. Having had both in my A4 and A6, the dynamic range, frequency response and imaging differences are definitely audible but some don't feel the new cost difference is a value. But of course, this horse has been beaten down pretty well and doesn't need to be revived.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife likes live music, but does not like recorded music at higher volume levels. I have a home system that is worth about $10,000 and she doesn't like the sound, which I think is fantastic. In her old car, a BMW 535i, she seldom played music and pretty much listened to news radio. When I convinced her to get an A6 to replace the BMW, she was little reluctant, but finally agreed. We ordered the 2016 A6 for Euro Delivery in June 2015, with every available option but sport suspension and black headliner. She has the B&O (at my urging, having tested one), comfort seats, active cruise, night vision, etc.

When we took delivery in June in Ingolstadt, she loved the car, especially the sound from the B&O system, and plays music at normal to above normal levels. We play a lot of classical and some folk, but she still listens to news radio in HD. This was a big change for her.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like what I got but I got a great deal which effectively throws in the B&O and a bit more. Otherwise I am not sure I'll pay for this upgrade.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent a couple of weeks in one wth the B&O before buying an A8 without it.

Listening to mostly Rock, Electronic, and other 'contemporary' music -- I actually preferred the richness and bass response to the Bose. It was less bright and had more feeling, courtesy of the bass.

If you're going to listen to FM, Sat Radio, or your phone -- it seems to me the B&O is a waste. But, no one would accuse me of being an audiophile.