Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is bang and olufsen worth it

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hippyshakes
Just because I spent a lot of money for a car doesn't mean I am blind to the lack of value in the B&O system for the money. $6K for a pop up speaker and and a name brand doesn't mean it SOUNDS $6k better - and it doesn't. Period.

My ears, my money, my opinion.

Pfft.

+1 couldnt agree with you more

I would ask myself a question: does audio system represent 10% of the car's value (judging by numbers the answer is yes). Now judging by the value (value=functionality, joy, brand, looks etc) it adds vs bose system (yes, it is worse), does it represent 10% or 1 out of 10 parts of A6? Really? Very subjective answer it s/b to justify the cost. Otherwise, the common logic does not justify the cost.

Last edited by salvadorik; 02-26-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I would ask myself a question: does audio system represent 10% of the car's value (judging by numbers the answer is yes). Now judging by the value (value=functionality, joy, brand, looks etc) it adds vs bose system (yes, it is worse), does it represent 10% or 1 out of 10 parts of A6? Really? Very subjective answer it s/b to justify the cost. Otherwise, the common logic does not justify the cost.
Often, numerically applied logic is not the only value point when we evaluate purchasing something. It's like reading the specs of a new car - they can tell you 0-60 time, dimensions, stopping distance, etc. but until one sees it in the flesh and takes it for a test drive, specs (or cost) can't tell the full story or be factored as the sole reason to buy.

I have a couple of friends that believe I was nuts to buy a $65K+ A6 in the first place. They feel I could have purchased two perfectly good new vehicles, one to use and one as a spare for that money. Of course, we A6 folks have a completely different point of view.

The point I'm trying to make is we all place different values on the things we would like to own, many of which have little to do with logic or cost; there's emotion, experience, pride of ownership and perceived quality, just to name a few. If we applied logic only, it would be a dull world indeed.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

+1 couldnt agree with you more

My vote is for saving the money on the B&O and spend it buying an awesome aftermarket system. You would be amazed by what $6000 can get you.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Often, numerically applied logic is not the only value point when we evaluate purchasing something. It's like reading the specs of a new car - they can tell you 0-60 time, dimensions, stopping distance, etc. but until one sees it in the flesh and takes it for a test drive, specs (or cost) can't tell the full story or be factored as the sole reason to buy.

I have a couple of friends that believe I was nuts to buy a $65K+ A6 in the first place. They feel I could have purchased two perfectly good new vehicles, one to use and one as a spare for that money. Of course, we A6 folks have a completely different point of view.

The point I'm trying to make is we all place different values on the things we would like to own, many of which have little to do with logic or cost; there's emotion, experience, pride of ownership and perceived quality, just to name a few. If we applied logic only, it would be a dull world indeed.
I agree with ur analysis Snag. That is why I stated that it is a very subjective choice in my prior response. Same can be said that one buys Hugo Boss shirt for $200 while $50 can buy you a similar quality shirt with similar the design. But a buyer for some qualitative and quantitative reasons (and perhaps dumn reasons) makes a decision to buy significantly more expensive choice. Personal monetary wealth of a buyer is also a factor here. Anyways, it is understandable to make those expensive choices and in no way I am saying it is dumn. I was refering to one person's comment who said that If you can afford to buy A6, dont complain about B&O's cost rather go and buy Subaru. That statement assumes that all buyers are equal, which is totally wrong. The learning point here is that it is a purely personal choice, which should not be judged whether it is right or wrong.

Last edited by salvadorik; 02-26-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with ur analysis Snag. That is why I stated that it is a very subjective choice in my prior response. Same can be said that one buys Hugo Boss shirt for $200 while $50 can buy you a similar quality shirt with similar the design. But a buyer for some qualitative and quantitative reasons (and perhaps dumn reasons) makes a decision to buy significantly more expensive choice. Personal monetary wealth of a buyer is also a factor here. Anyways, it is understandable to make those expensive choices and in no way I am saying it is dumn. I was refering to one person's comment who said that If you can afford to buy A6, dont complain about B&O's cost rather go and buy Subaru. That statement assumes that all buyers are equal, which is totally wrong. The learning point here is that it is a purely personal choice, which should not be judged whether it is right or wrong.
I agree that the choice to opt for the B&O system is a personal decision due to many factors but I doubt any who did, would consider the reasons to be "dumb". Me for example.

In my case, I passed on the Innovation package and placed my investment with the B&O. I loved it in my B8 A4 and after a lengthy sound comparison test against the Bose, this one is significantly superior. I'm very pleased with my decision. Others may place their dollars elsewhere and that's fine.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I agree that the choice to opt for the B&O system is a personal decision due to many factors but I doubt any who did, would consider the reasons to be "dumb". Me for example.

In my case, I passed on the Innovation package and placed my investment with the B&O. I loved it in my B8 A4 and after a lengthy sound comparison test against the Bose, this one is significantly superior. I'm very pleased with my decision. Others may place their dollars elsewhere and that's fine.
I bit off the whole enchilada and included both the B&O and the Innovation and, for me, I did perceive it as value if only for my own personal listening pleasure. I like to immerse myself in the pleasure of driving a great automobile and my music is part of that equation. This is no different than folks who like to mod the car to gain, what they believe, maximum performance. It is value to them much like my B&O is value to me.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by alvam
I bit off the whole enchilada and included both the B&O and the Innovation and, for me, I did perceive it as value if only for my own personal listening pleasure. I like to immerse myself in the pleasure of driving a great automobile and my music is part of that equation. This is no different than folks who like to mod the car to gain, what they believe, maximum performance. It is value to them much like my B&O is value to me.
There you go. We all make different choices for a myriad of different reasons. If Audi (or almost all auto manufacturers for that matter) felt that just one configuration would please everyone at one price, they would build it. The company and the dealer network would save a bunch of bucks. Imagine if just one A6 color was available. Even Ferrari offers other colors than red.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the B&O option and regret it. The Bose system is exceptional. The B&O is better.

Bass is tighter, better defined. Highs are more directional. Audio Pilot feature seems to function better. From the rear seat, it's about the same. From drive/passenger seats, there's a big difference.

It does depend on the type of music you listen to. You'll notice if you listen to classical/opera, music with high degrees of subtleness (e.g. the bass guitar notes sound like different notes rather than just 'cue the bass', on well-recorded live music you can hear the fingers hitting the strings).

If you listen to "pop", terrestrial radio, most rock/country/urban music, it won't matter. Note that I listen to most every type of music, but in some genres, the music is not "produced" in a fashion that gets the detail into the bit stream. Your sound system can't play what isn't there. The source is also important; how often are you listening to the "Jukebox" vs FM radio or audio over Bluetooth?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alvam
My first post. Couldn't agree more. Just bought my A6 fully loaded and to me the B&O is a must. Bought a new ML350 last year and skipped on the Harmon Kardon option. I've never had such buyer remorse! My entire audio collection is in FLAC and other lossless formats and B&O delivers. Expecting first baby in March and I gave the Benz to the wife to be her "mommy car." It's safe and slow!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for a 2015 A6 for the wife to replace her 2011 BMW 535i, whose audio system is abysmal, along with the rest of the vehicle. I have a 2013 S5 with B&O and the sound is the best I have ever had in any car. That said, the B&O system in the A6 is several levels above the one in the S5, with price to match. With the B&O system, the A6 comes in about $72.7k, which is a little high. ACA discount, loyalty discount, and euro delivery discount will take it down to around $60k so the $5900 B&O doesn't seem so bad, trying to justify its cost. The wife doesn't like my S5's ride, so no sport pkg for the A6.

My home audio equipment is not exactly high end, although my preamp was $3600, and it sounds good to me. I am going to have to listen to an A6 with B&O before pulling the trigger. Unfortunately, A6's with B&O are few and far between.

Quick Reply: Is bang and olufsen worth it