Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

BMW losing it's way?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW losing it's way?

Not to bang on competitors cars, but have you guys noticed that the "new" M5 has been really getting torn up in professional reviews? Inside line called it boring...

Interesting discussion on the BMW forums..

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=649850
Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

One of the main reason I totally scrap the idea of getting new M3 in 2015 and went with A6 for now.

Hopefully next ride will be either S5 or RS5 Although long way to go.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mercedes and BMW forums are saying the same thing about Audi's. Who cares...
Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wasn't commenting about forum comments... was surprised that the new M5 being ranked last in Car and Driver, and Inside Line calling it boring... I am a big fan of the M5 in general, have not driven current incarnation..
Old 10-13-2012, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
Interesting discussion on the BMW forums..

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=649850
Ah! I'm a member there!
I recognize a few people, was getting a 535i.
I'm not surprised, if it felt like anything like their 5's... I'd be disappointed too.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Current X5 owner here and moving to S6 soon. I can't even consider another BMW right now. I've seen the new M5 and it is a 5 series. Anyone in the know would look for the quad tailpipes and the very discreet M badging on the back and sides, but from afar, it is just another 5 series, a dime a dozen. I was lucky enough to own an M6 cab and it was an awesome driver, but I could never use it's full capabilities and it I was filling up every 200 miles. I am sure the M 5 is an awesome car, but not for me. Looking forward to my first Audi!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I saw M5 at Canadian BMW dealer while servicing my 535i, it looked beautiful. The sales person said he does not have keys but I can not imagine why any review of this car calls it boring. I find reviewers focus more on track performance & not the overall package (looks,engine,...etc) that the car brings.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stoulana
I saw M5 at Canadian BMW dealer while servicing my 535i, it looked beautiful. The sales person said he does not have keys but I can not imagine why any review of this car calls it boring. I find reviewers focus more on track performance & not the overall package (looks,engine,...etc) that the car brings.
I think the 5 also looks nice, but have seen a few reviews that labeled the (M)5 "unsatisfying" when compared to the AMG or Audi. Most of the write ups have been pretty good about noting the 5's design, etc. However..the 5 is designed to be a runner so that's what they'll harp on.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmk1
Current X5 owner here and moving to S6 soon. I can't even consider another BMW right now. I've seen the new M5 and it is a 5 series. Anyone in the know would look for the quad tailpipes and the very discreet M badging on the back and sides, but from afar, it is just another 5 series, a dime a dozen. I was lucky enough to own an M6 cab and it was an awesome driver, but I could never use it's full capabilities and it I was filling up every 200 miles. I am sure the M 5 is an awesome car, but not for me. Looking forward to my first Audi!
Would that comparison not be similar to the A6/S6? S6 is near identical in appearance to the A6 besides the quad tailpipes and badging? Granted it would probably be a better daily driver with a slightly higher fuel economy than the M5.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I cant compare the M5 at all... I sat in one, but was more $$ than I was prepared to spend (as is the S6 unfortunately).

Having said that, I closely compared the A6, 535xi, and GS350 F-Sport. While I read the reviews for all three, they are nothing more than a single data point to me. I think you have to remember that any given media outlet may be influenced by advertising spend, which cars they are given, the personal preferences of the reviewer, etc etc etc. Some reviews MAY have more empirical data included in them (which is nice), but the subjective opinion of the reviewer carries no more weight to me than anyone else's (that drives all of the subject cars).

What does fascinate me is the emotional responses some reviews generate... If a reviewer makes a critical remark about BMW, then some of the bimmerfest folks will give birth to a small heffer... The Audi faithful really are no different. Or the Mercedes guys. Or the Lexus crowd. However, it is kind of interesting how some of the M class enthusiasts don't like the current M5...

Maybe I'm just weird, but I think its really cool that in this market space we have so many great choices - I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of these cars. To me the final choice was very personal - the car that BEST fits what I wanted to do with it. Doesn't make it the right choice for anyone else (My wife would have chosen the F-Sport for example), but the A6 was the right choice for me.

Has BMW lost its way? I don't think so, but their sales performance will serve as the ultimate judge. I don't know how to find sales figures, but I think Audi is gaining share in this space... I think BMW has been king of the hill for a long time, so its natural that their competitors would be working hard to take a chunk out of their sales.

Quick Reply: BMW losing it's way?