Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

The Bose Stereo. Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love crappy audio.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpioty
I just updated to R7015_2 and the balance/fade settings are all jacked. When the settings are in the middle, the sound goes to the back and the front has no sound. Moving the circle to the front produces a fuller sound in the car. Left and right settings don't balance and it plays on both sides. At least the sound is better than before, but still crap.
Go back and ask for BOSE re-calibration. Tech pulls the info from the servers and inputs a code--all is good now.
Re-scan of the car will show the problem.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved the Bose in the C6 and have been too lazy to go to the dealer to get the upgrade. Can someone comment on the differences between the upgraded Bose in the C7 vs the C6 Bose?
Old 12-23-2014, 02:40 AM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bose in the C7 is much better - clarity, separation, (yes, even) bass. Must update software to achieve this result. However, to my ear, even before the upgrade, clarity and separation in the C7 Bose was superior to the C6, but lack of bass killed it.

LIY
Old 12-23-2014, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

The Bose in the A8 is a heck of a lot better than the Bose in the A6. As much of a stereo snob as I might be, when I listen to the A8 Bose I'm actually not that disappointed. Granted it is OEM, therefore it stinks by default. But compared to others it's not so bad. Even still, it's almost impossible to get proper imaging with the Bose.

I've played with all of the settings and there really isn't a way to get the sub-bass to present itself solidly in front of the car. I was able to get most vocals to image directly in front of the driver seat, but even that is not correct. The center of the sound stage should technically be in front of the center of the windshield. Oddly, I had better success while keeping the Sound Focus on ALL, and then adjusting the fader forward. Initially, I thought the Sound Focus to FRONT would be more ideal. It's been a while since I tried, but I remember that the SoundFocus to Front caused a greater gap between the perceived location of midbass and sub-bass. The subwoofer became much more noticable as coming from behind while the SoundFocus was in FRONT.

Also, in my S6 I analyzed the Bose factory equalization (before signal gets to the speakers) and they really do mess with a lot in there. There's a huge gap in the response around 200Hz. Probably the engineers trying to calm down a resonance. One thing I did not measure, and wish that I had, was the frequency response of the Bose system playing on it's own through the Bose speakers. Unfortunately, while I have the equipment to do this, my Bose system is already removed from the car so I can't do it. I might try on the A8 Bose, however. I do have access to that.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

subterFUSE,

Have enjoyed your many postings and, impressed with your unrelenting pursuit in perfecting your sound system. I am interested in your opinion.

In researching my 2014 A6 TDI Prestige purchase, was well aware from comments in this forum that the BOSE would be the only downside. And, it is has been my only complaint with the car since purchasing in June. Through this winter, plan to research options so that I can proceed with upgrades in the spring. I would prefer to have simple stereo as opposed to a surround sound, particularly a surround sound system that is overwhelmed by the center dash speaker. No matter how I played with the settings, the center dash speaker overwhelmed all other speakers, whether at high or low volume; this rendered the system to an AM radio on steroids. I have since disconnected the offending center speaker and have noticed some improvement, albeit at expense of some midrange. My other complaint is that the sound is “muddy” for lack of a better term.

Based on your research, are there steps less drastic than you have taken to simply improve the sound clarity for all ranges, at all volumes? Are the speakers really that bad or is it the BOSE processor? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Based on your research, are there steps less drastic than you have taken to simply improve the sound clarity for all ranges, at all volumes? Are the speakers really that bad or is it the BOSE processor? Thanks.
From the way you describe your experience with the Bose, it sounds to me like you are someone who will appreciate the improvement that aftermarket audio provides.

It doesn't have to be as complicated as what I am doing, although I do recommend changing the speakers and amplifier(s) at minimum. Adding a DSP is also a really good step, but not as critical.

Give me another week or two until the new system is completed and I can give a more informed review of the MoBridge DA1 preamp. We still haven't turned it on yet.

The MoBridge bypasses the Bose audio completely by intercepting the digital audio signal from the MOST fiber optic network. You keep the MMI intact, but get an optical digital preamp output which can feed a DSP or an amplifier with a digital input.

We just installed my MoBridge the other day, and it was so easy I couldn't believe it. All you do is run a power and ground, and then unclip the MOST wire harness from the Bose amp and clip it directly into the MoBridge. I was laughing at how easy it was to install.

Assuming all goes well with mine, I would say that should be first on the list of components to consider. A basic setup might be as simple as the MoBridge running into a single amplifier that powers a 2-way component speaker up front and a subwoofer in the trunk.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

"Give me another week or two until the new system is completed and I can give a more informed review of the MoBridge DA1 preamp. We still haven't turned it on yet."

Thanks for the reply. I (and I am sure others) enjoy following your informative and entertaining posts. Two weeks is nothing; I have the whole Winter before I plan on doing anything.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi
Spending $6000 on the B&0 and just getting acceptable does not make it worth it. You should be impressed by it when you hear it.

For much less than $6000, you can make some great improvements to the Bose to make the system acceptable, or even more than acceptable.

If you are getting the Prestige, you can't avoid the Bose.
@manishaudi it seems you know yourself around stereos. Can you recommend me one?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for a good stereo and can't make my mind up which one is the best.

There are so many aftermarket stereos that it's hard to find a good one. Many of them have one digit difference in their name. Anyways I've been reading reviews on the nets and they are all hype. Most of them downplay the negatives and hype features like 7" as if it would be that important. I've found a different blog and I've set my heart on the alpine halo9. The thing I liked about this blog is that it says it how it is. No sugar coating no BS. This alpine stereo review is a bit critical. It has highlighted some flaws that put me on the fence. What do you say?

Any tips?