Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Brake pads replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pads replacement

My dash shows a "Brake Pads!" warning. Time to replace them, I guess. Replacing the rear pads requires the mechanic to move the calipers via computer, not by squeezing them with clamps. This is because our cars have electronic parking brake.

Philly area dealers want anywhere from $350 to $500 per pair. Has anyone used a knowledgeable indy mechanic in Philly area, who has VAG-COM cable and programs to do the job appropriately?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
My dash shows a "Brake Pads!" warning. Time to replace them, I guess. Replacing the rear pads requires the mechanic to move the calipers via computer, not by squeezing them with clamps. This is because our cars have electronic parking brake.

Philly area dealers want anywhere from $350 to $500 per pair. Has anyone used a knowledgeable indy mechanic in Philly area, who has VAG-COM cable and programs to do the job appropriately?

Thanks.
Actually what you do for the rears is just put the E-Parking Brake into the pad replacement position, which requires the use of VAG-COM or the dealer. Then you can push the caliper piston in to replace the pads. This is one of many reasons why I purchased the VAG-COM cable. Will pay for itself in short order by not having to pay dealer labor costs.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
Actually what you do for the rears is just put the E-Parking Brake into the pad replacement position, which requires the use of VAG-COM or the dealer. Then you can push the caliper piston in to replace the pads. This is one of many reasons why I purchased the VAG-COM cable. Will pay for itself in short order by not having to pay dealer labor costs.
Tell me a little more about the VAG-COM and the VAG-COM cable. Where do I go to buy this?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Tell me a little more about the VAG-COM and the VAG-COM cable. Where do I go to buy this?
Thanks
The VCDS software and cable (formerly known as VAG-COM) allows communication with the Audi's various systems. You can perform numerous customizations/modifications with the system. You can also diagnose issues with your vehicle by reading codes (and clearing them). Additionally, VCDS allows you to perform certain maintenance tasks (such as the brakes) that would otherwise require either an indy mechanic or the dealer.

You can find information on VCDS software and the cable at Ross-Tech.com.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i just did the job. no vcdc needed.
to retract the piston I ran jumper cables from another car crimped some small wires at the ends of the cables. then unplugged the electric plug that goes to the servo motor attached to the caliper, used the wires to put direct 12V to the motor. if the piston starts to come out - just turn the wires to change the polarity. the motor will hum but the piston would not move for a while. may be 15 seconds in you will see the piston turn - it means the parking brake is completely retracted. now you can press in the piston in and install the caliper back with new pads.
just be careful to not short the wires. lots of sparks.I just wrapped the wires 5mm from each other with duct tape to separate them
Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OSpacer
to retract the piston I ran jumper cables from another car crimped some small wires at the ends of the cables. then unplugged the electric plug that goes to the servo motor attached to the caliper, used the wires to put direct 12V to the motor. if the piston starts to come out - just turn the wires to change the polarity. the motor will hum but the piston would not move for a while. may be 15 seconds in you will see the piston turn - it means the parking brake is completely retracted. now you can press in the piston in and install the caliper back with new pads.
just be careful to not short the wires. lots of sparks.I just wrapped the wires 5mm from each other with duct tape to separate them
Good job but I still recommend VCDS for all of the things that it can do.

BTW - what is your location? You say you have an S Line but the US did not have an S Line in 2014
Old 10-24-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OSpacer
Thanks for your response--that's very helpful. With a 2014 I;m surprised the rear brakes needed to be replaced so soon?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just came back from talking to a local dealer - always an unpleasant feeling. So..

I asked for a price to change brake pads (front or rear).
They say - "about $900".
After recovering from shock, I ask - both front and rear?
He says -- "no just one end, it includes the rotors. You like stopping on a dime, don't you?".
I say -- I don't think I need the rotors replaced, just the pads.
He says -- In 99.9% of brake pads jobs we replace the rotors because it's needed.
I say -- can you give me exact quotes?
After talking to parts -- pads only $400, pads and rotors $750.

I walked away saying I will think. Not only I was pissed that they throw numbers around like $900, while it's really $750. But also, thinking they will definitely take me for a ride saying I need rotors replaced, even if I don't. Upsetting experience. Somehow they think if I splurged on a luxury car, I throw money left and right, which is not always true.

End of rant.

Now real question:
1) What's your opinion of replacing rotors every time you change brake pads? Seems wasteful to me. On my previous BMW I only changed rotors once, when the car reached 50K-60K miles, not every time I changed brakes.

2) When you changed brake pads - at dealer or not - did you replace rotors every time?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Now real question:
1) What's your opinion of replacing rotors every time you change brake pads? Seems wasteful to me. On my previous BMW I only changed rotors once, when the car reached 50K-60K miles, not every time I changed brakes.

2) When you changed brake pads - at dealer or not - did you replace rotors every time?
To your questions:
1. Not uncommon for the dealers to suggest replacing the rotors. IMHO generally not needed as while the rotors do wear, the pads wear much more rapidly. You should be able to find the specification for minimum allowable rotor thickness - this is spec'd by Audi - and measure your rotor thickness to determine whether you are within limits or not.

2. On my old C5A6 I changed the pads several times....but the rotors only once. This was in 200,000 miles of driving.

How many miles are currently on your vehicle?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Grapeking
To your questions:

How many miles are currently on your vehicle?
Grapeking, I only have 28K miles on my C7 A6. I think it's the rear pads that need a replacement, because at the last service the dealer already wanted to replace those, even before the sensor was tripped. I refused and I wondered how the heck at 20-something thousand miles my rear need a replacement.

I agree that they should tell me the thickness, but he was also talking about some "lip" that can either wear out the pads or vice versa. I didn't understand because I knew he was bull-$h***ing.

If I could only find a good local (Philly) indy mechanic that I could trust, I would take my car there, rather to a stealership.

Quick Reply: Brake pads replacement