Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Bridgestone RE970AS All Season UHP Tires - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Bridgestone RE970AS All Season UHP Tires - First Impressions

With the cold and often snowy winters here in MA, the Pirelli P-Zero OEM tires would not be a good idea in a few months. As I was not prepared to buy another set of wheels or the hassle of swapping tires on and off twice a year, I decided to replace the P-Zeros with the Tire Rack current #1 rated Ultra High Performance A/S Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position (255/40-19).
The other reason for swapping now, rather than in late fall, was I felt I could sell the P=Zeros for more money as almost new than if I waited (I did sell them on Craigslist in a week).

I thought I would contrast the new tires with the P-Zeros and since I previously owned the Continental DWS on my 2009 B8 A4 (not available in my 255/40-19 size), I was interested in how the Bridgestones would compare with those as well, albeit mounted on a different vehicle.

After about 500 miles, I can report that the Bridgestones are an excellent A/S performance tire. After the first 200 miles with the tires being on their way to being broken in, they actually seemed to handle turn-in as well as the P-Zeros, which, frankly, surprised me. They are also quieter with a noticeably more comfortable ride - firm but very liveable despite the 19" the Sport Package. Noise levels are considerably less than the P-Zeros, particulary on rough surfaces. I haven't had a chance to drive in pouring rain yet but on damp surfaces they handled like the pavement was dry. Obviously, no chance for snow evaluation. I did observe a little bit of road crown drift (tramlining) compared to the P-Zeros (not surprising when comparing a summer tire to an A/S) but it seems to be getting much better as they wear in. Another 500 miles of break-in and I bet I won't even notice it.

I was pretty happy overall with the DWS on my A4 - they did exceptionally well in the wet, acceptable in light snow and were quiet and reasonably comfortable - far better than the Pirelli P6 they replaced (the P6's were fine for about 5K miles and then degraded signifivantly in ride). The only negative I had was that the turn-in performance was just ok, presumably due to the softer sidewall design. The DWS seemed to require more effort to get them to respond to sharp directional changes with an ever so slight delay in response. Not terrible but definitely noticeable.

The RE970AS however, exhibits none of this behavior - they respond quickly and precisely when pushed hard. At the same time, so far they exhibit all the other goodness of the DWS, i.e. ride comfort and noise level. The wear rating seems to be at least equal the DWS, which were wearing extremely well, but time will tell. As I mentioned, I still need to compare the Bridgestones in the rain but based on the reviews and ratings, they should perform very well and as good or better than the DWS.

So, at least at this initial stage, for those in the same boat as me wondering what to do about their OEM Sport Packge summer tires in cold climates, I highly recommend the RE970AS - they seem to be living up to the #1 rating in the category. After I get 2-3K miles on them, I'll provide an update.

Update: see post #35 for my 12K/11 month comments.

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-24-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, this is exactly the situation Im in too. Sounds like the Bridgestones may be a good choice before winter sets in here in CO. Im curious what the P-Zeros sold for...
Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for this! I may have to give these a consideration over the Conti DWS, though I've enjoyed the Conti DWS so much on my last car it almost seems foolhardy to consider anything else, given that they're a known quantity and I'm used to their 'feel'. (Agree with you on the fact that the DWS feels like they 'lag' in response when pushed hard.)

With the DWS available in the 20" Sport Package size, I'll have a choice to make! Appreciate the rundown, though!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Think Bridgestone might've made up my mind for me... The RE970AS doesn't appear to be made in the 20" Sport Package size, while the Conti DWS is... Flip of the situation with the 19".
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had these on my old s6 v10, and I absolutely loved them. When my summer tires wear out, I will be getting them as well.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nyuni
Think Bridgestone might've made up my mind for me... The RE970AS doesn't appear to be made in the 20" Sport Package size, while the Conti DWS is... Flip of the situation with the 19".
The DWS is still a great A/S tire. You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The DWS is still a great A/S tire. You won't be disappointed.
Oh yeah, I know I won't be disappointed with the DWS given my experience with them - but I was certainly waiting for your critique on the Bridgestones since you were experienced in the DWS as well. But, since I don't have a choice anyway, I'll just keep on with the DWS on the A6 once she arrives.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wish they came in the 255/35-20 size needed with the 20" sport packages. I love the 970 lineage of tires from Bridgestone.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Be sure to take some time to learn their limits in the snow. I ran RE960s for a couple years and (while very good in the dry) they could be downright scary in deep snow or ice.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Be sure to take some time to learn their limits in the snow. I ran RE960s for a couple years and (while very good in the dry) they could be downright scary in deep snow or ice.
I agree - not my first rodeo with A/S tires in really deep snow. We work at home so can avoid driving in the worst storms. Plus, we have our allroad with winter tires for the really deep stuff if needed. It loves to play in the snow.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE970AS All Season UHP Tires - First Impressions