Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Bridgestone RE970AS All Season UHP Tires - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the Continentals are the best in the snow!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
With the cold and often snowy winters here in MA, the Pirelli P-Zero OEM tires would not be a good idea in a few months. As I was not prepared to buy another set of wheels or the hassle of swapping tires on and off twice a year, I decided to replace the P-Zeros with the Tire Rack current #1 rated Ultra High Performance A/S Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position (255/40-19).
The other reason for swapping now, rather than in late fall, was I felt I could sell the P=Zeros for more money as almost new than if I waited (I did sell them on Craigslist in a week).

I thought I would contrast the new tires with the P-Zeros and since I previously owned the Continental DWS on my 2009 B8 A4 (not available in my 255/40-19 size), I was interested in how the Bridgestones would compare with those as well, albeit mounted on a different vehicle.

After about 500 miles, I can report that the Bridgestones are an excellent A/S performance tire. After the first 200 miles with the tires being on their way to being broken in, they actually seemed to handle turn-in as well as the P-Zeros, which, frankly, surprised me. They are also quieter with a noticeably more comfortable ride - firm but very liveable despite the 19" the Sport Package. Noise levels are considerably less than the P-Zeros, particulary on rough surfaces. I haven't had a chance to drive in pouring rain yet but on damp surfaces they handled like the pavement was dry. Obviously, no chance for snow evaluation. I did observe a little bit of road crown drift (tramlining) compared to the P-Zeros (not surprising when comparing a summer tire to an A/S) but it seems to be getting much better as they wear in. Another 500 miles of break-in and I bet I won't even notice it.

I was pretty happy overall with the DWS on my A4 - they did exceptionally well in the wet, acceptable in light snow and were quiet and reasonably comfortable - far better than the Pirelli P6 they replaced (the P6's were fine for about 5K miles and then degraded signifivantly in ride). The only negative I had was that the turn-in performance was just ok, presumably due to the softer sidewall design. The DWS seemed to require more effort to get them to respond to sharp directional changes with an ever so slight delay in response. Not terrible but definitely noticeable.

The RE970AS however, exhibits none of this behavior - they respond quickly and precisely when pushed hard. At the same time, so far they exhibit all the other goodness of the DWS, i.e. ride comfort and noise level. The wear rating seems to be at least equal the DWS, which were wearing extremely well, but time will tell. As I mentioned, I still need to compare the Bridgestones in the rain but based on the reviews and ratings, they should perform very well and as good or better than the DWS.

So, at least at this initial stage, for those in the same boat as me wondering what to do about their OEM Sport Packge summer tires in cold climates, I highly recommend the RE970AS - they seem to be living up to the #1 rating in the category. After I get 2-3K miles on them, I'll provide an update.
Thanks for review, I was thinking of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx but they are bit pricey. I've dedicated winter tires so I'll check out BridgeStone as I'm unhappy with GoodYear Eagle LS2 bit noisy.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah but the Conti's came in 4th in the Tire Rack shootout that was won by the RE970AS.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Sport Maxx came stock on my S4. They were surprisingly grippy for a "stock" tire and I had no complaints. However when it came time to replace them at 20K, I went with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports which stick even better, with better turn in, excellent wet performance, and quieter. I will be using the Super Sports on my S6 when it comes time to replace rubber.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Update:

Now that I've got over 600 miles on the 255/40-19 RE970AS I can report that I'm extremely happy with these tires. They perform extremely well both on the dry and the wet. If I didn't know better, I would think these are summers - they are very fast to transition with no mushiness or drama in the corners whatsoever. With the Sport suspension, they are firm but not jarring on the crappy roads we have here in New England and once I broke them in, also very quiet. Based on the treadwear rating, I expect I'll be driving on these for quite some time before replacement will be needed,

Compared to the DWS I had on my A4, these are definitely superior in every way I've experienced so far (except for price - they do run higher). If there is one thing in which the DWS might outperform the RE970AS is in the snow. Obviously, that will have to wait for a few months so we'll see. The DWS were pretty decent on 2-3" but by no means were they snow tires.

So far, I can't dispute the #1 rating from Tire Rack in the category. If you have 18" or 19" wheels on your A6 and are looking for a great set of all season ultra high performance tires, these are definitely worthy of your consideration - you won't be disappointed. If you have 20" wheels, you'll have to look to the DWS or elsewhere as the 970AS is not available yet in the 20" A6 size (I believe a big mistake on Bridgestone's part).
Thumbs up.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Would you be so kind as to post another update? Im curious if your feelings have changed about these tires since the last update. Im about to pull the trigger on a set of tires for my P+, and this is the best review I've seen so far.

Colorado went from the dog days of summer right past fall and straight into winter. Two days ago we were in the high 80's, frost warnings tonight, snow possible by tomorrow night. But you have lived here, so you know how that goes. The A6 might wind up parked if there is snow on the street (HIGHLY unlikely), but regardless its time to get serious about getting the summer tires off of it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Would you be so kind as to post another update? Im curious if your feelings have changed about these tires since the last update. Im about to pull the trigger on a set of tires for my P+, and this is the best review I've seen so far.

Colorado went from the dog days of summer right past fall and straight into winter. Two days ago we were in the high 80's, frost warnings tonight, snow possible by tomorrow night. But you have lived here, so you know how that goes. The A6 might wind up parked if there is snow on the street (HIGHLY unlikely), but regardless its time to get serious about getting the summer tires off of it.
Just got back from a 1000 mi trip up the Maine coast including some high speed interstate driving in the rain. They handled confidently with no hydroplaning. My original review remains unchanged and outside of a snow appraisal yet, I still highly recommend the tires.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks... the snow question will weigh on me, but hard to get a read until we actually get to drive on it. The issue is that the car will take a few trips into ski country this winter, and of course that could mean some significant snow. Im sure they would be way better than the Pirellis, but I really dont want to go to full snow tires as MOST of the driving will be along the front range in far better conditions.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Thanks... the snow question will weigh on me, but hard to get a read until we actually get to drive on it. The issue is that the car will take a few trips into ski country this winter, and of course that could mean some significant snow. Im sure they would be way better than the Pirellis, but I really dont want to go to full snow tires as MOST of the driving will be along the front range in far better conditions.
I had the same internal dialogue last year when we picked up the car. We rarely get snow in Northern NM but I'm frequently in Southern CO mountains to pick up the kids. The winter performance (not snow) tires did fine for an occasional ride into the San Juans and what snow we did get here.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by psychodo
I had the same internal dialogue last year when we picked up the car. We rarely get snow in Northern NM but I'm frequently in Southern CO mountains to pick up the kids. The winter performance (not snow) tires did fine for an occasional ride into the San Juans and what snow we did get here.
Thanks, good to hear. I ran all season perforamnce tires on my A4 for a LONG time, and never had problems, but it is a bit lighter car. What tires were you running?

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE970AS All Season UHP Tires - First Impressions