Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Bridgestone RE970AS All Season UHP Tires - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are few choices out there for 20" all season tires.

The 20" P zero is really noisy. I was wanting to replace it with the Potenza RE760 Sport based on the reviews I've seen on tire rack.

If anybody has any experience with that tire, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by jperryrocks; 10-30-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a set of this for my C6 A6 (18") and did really like them but had to return them because two of the four would not balance out properly. What I was really hoping to do is just exchange the two bad ones and hope the replacement ones would be fine but they were on back order at the time.

I ended up going with a set up summer Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, but now I'm stuck having to get winter tires.

The issue might have been the place they were manufactured (Mexico). Two of the tires showed more the 40lb of road-force, which you simply can balance out. The RE760 were made in Japan and all had less than 12lb of road-force. Tire Rack shows that the RE970AS are also made in Japan, but I was not lucky enough to get a set from there.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Too bad you had a problem. Mine were able to be force balanced within spec.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cebo0650
I got a set of this for my C6 A6 (18") and did really like them but had to return them because two of the four would not balance out properly. What I was really hoping to do is just exchange the two bad ones and hope the replacement ones would be fine but they were on back order at the time.

I ended up going with a set up summer Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, but now I'm stuck having to get winter tires.

The issue might have been the place they were manufactured (Mexico). Two of the tires showed more the 40lb of road-force, which you simply can balance out. The RE760 were made in Japan and all had less than 12lb of road-force. Tire Rack shows that the RE970AS are also made in Japan, but I was not lucky enough to get a set from there.

What's your experience with the RE760 summer tires?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Since it's been awhile (almost a year) since I posted my review on the Bridgestone RE970AS, I thought I would provide an update now that I have almost 12K miles on them.

I take nothing back on my original impressions of these tires. The only thing I've noticed is the ride has become a bit firmer in the last 2K miles or so, particularly on the crappy New England roads I have to live with. This is likely due to the reduced tread as they've worn. Speaking of wear, I have about 70% of the original tread remaining per my tread depth gauge so I'm hoping for at least 35K miles on this set which is very decent for a UHP all season tire.

The handling is the same as when new and if anything, they are even quieter than when new. As I mentioned in a previous thread recently, I managed to hit a pothole the likes of that sinkhole in Florida that took an entire house. I bent two wheels on the right side but when they were removed for straightening, the tires were still fine. They roll perfectly smooth after the wheels were straightened and rebalanced. This is a testament to the toughness of the RE970AS.

When I purchased the Bridgestones, they were only available in the OEM 19" size. Not sure if they are now making them in the 20" OEM size as of yet. I still recommend them and unless something new comes along in the next 25K miles, I'll be a repeat buyer.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Since it's been awhile (almost a year) since I posted my review on the Bridgestone RE970AS, I thought I would provide an update now that I have almost 12K miles on them.

I take nothing back on my original impressions of these tires. The only thing I've noticed is the ride has become a bit firmer in the last 2K miles or so, particularly on the crappy New England roads I have to live with. This is likely due to the reduced tread as they've worn. Speaking of wear, I have about 70% of the original tread remaining per my tread depth gauge so I'm hoping for at least 35K miles on this set which is very decent for a UHP all season tire.

The handling is the same as when new and if anything, they are even quieter than when new.
+1

I have just over 8000 miles on mine, and I remain very happy with them as well. In fact, my intent was to swap my P zeros back on for the summer, but the RE970s are performing so well that I have not had much motivation to swap them.

I don't have a tire depth gauge, but I expect the wear I have should be modest, as most of the miles have not been aggressive (sad however, that means not much mountain driving which means I'm not having as much fun with the car as I should).

It may be my imagination, but I think they MAY be a touch noisier than when new, especially on sharp bumps - maybe a little more pronounced "thud". This also could be a pressure issue, so Ill be double checking that - I am probably over dependent on TPMS.

My observation with other Bridgestone tires (on my A4) is that they do get quite a bit noisier as they wear (20K+). Clearly, this is a different tire and it is not right to automatically expect them to perform similarly, but I would not be overly surprised either... but that is many miles ahead of me still.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
I don't have a tire depth gauge...
This one soes the trick for me:
Milton S448 Tire Tread Depth Gauge : Amazon.com : Automotive Milton S448 Tire Tread Depth Gauge : Amazon.com : Automotive
Originally Posted by MileHighJC
It may be my imagination, but I think they MAY be a touch noisier than when new, especially on sharp bumps - maybe a little more pronounced "thud". This also could be a pressure issue, so Ill be double checking that - I am probably over dependent on TPMS.
That's part of what I fell on bad road; not pressure for me but I think it's the lesser tread. TPMS is only good for over 6 PSI drop so don't rely on it. I use a good tire gauge at least once per month as tires naturally leak air over time through the side walls.