Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A/C recycle button - Can VCDS changes make it stay on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C recycle button - Can VCDS changes make it stay on?

I always like to run my A/C on recycle, but everytime I get in the car, it's off by default. Is there a way to make the A/C recycle button/feature stay on? I have VAG COM, so I'm hoping there's a setting in there.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
I always like to run my A/C on recycle, but everytime I get in the car, it's off by default. Is there a way to make the A/C recycle button/feature stay on? I have VAG COM, so I'm hoping there's a setting in there.
I dont think you can do that due to safety concern. I could be wrong.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Not sure why. My wife's Honda Odyssey stays on recycle. My BMW M5 would stay on recycle, and those are electronic controls. A lot of cars have mechanical ***** that are always in recycle.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Toyota Land Cruiser used to default to recycle mode. It bothered me that I always had to hit that button, every single time I got into the car.
So I appreciate that the default is reversed on the Audi.

@fFearme: I can't imagine that there are any safety issues related to defaulting to recycle mode (esp. since other cars default to it).

But I am kind of curious why one would even want recycle to be the default? I rarely encounter situations where recycle would preferable to fresh.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Oscar2
But I am kind of curious why one would even want recycle to be the default? I rarely encounter situations where recycle would preferable to fresh.
When sitting at a stop light or in traffic and a diesel truck's fumes are coming in from the "fresh" air. When you drive by a landfill on the turnpike and you don't want the wonderful smell coming in. I even get fryer smell when I drive by a fast food restaurant. By the time you push the recycle button the smell is already in the car, so I want to avoid getting them in. You need to be locked in your car for a long time for the air to get stale when using the air on recycle. My typical drive is no longer than 20 minutes.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Today's Audi climate control systems are pretty sophisticated. When left in Auto, the programming can determine the best combination of the interior's environment including air distribution and others. Knowing that owners will want to fiddle with their own adjustments, they allow for various overrides but the auto setting will usually provide the best overall mix of settings for comfort. This is true of many of the computerized systems in the car, i.e. auto headlights, auto rain sensor, auto sound system volume and the myriad of engine and transmission controls. With the advent of computer technology, for better or worse, the old days are gone.

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-15-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

This would be my perspective, too:

Originally Posted by fEArmE

You really don't want to shut down the flow of fresh air into the car for multiple reasons, including your personal safety (think CO poisoning).

Many cars I've owned have a timer on the RECIRC button that disables the feature after 15 - 20 mins.

I think both our Audis have an auto-recirc function that can be enabled thru MMI settings. It's supposed to shutdown incoming air when the pollution sensor detects poor air quality. (I don't think the Audi design works as well as the BMW design, FWIW.)
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
This would be my perspective, too:
You really don't want to shut down the flow of fresh air into the car for multiple reasons, including your personal safety (think CO poisoning).

Many cars I've owned have a timer on the RECIRC button that disables the feature after 15 - 20 mins.

I think both our Audis have an auto-recirc function that can be enabled thru MMI settings. It's supposed to shutdown incoming air when the pollution sensor detects poor air quality. (I don't think the Audi design works as well as the BMW design, FWIW.)
Yes, auto circ is part of the auto climate control system. I'm not positive but the manual seems to indicate that the auto recirc sensitivity setting adjustment in the Car menu may only be included with the Prestige 4-zone climate control (at least on the C7's).

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-15-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, auto circ is part of the auto climate control system. I'm not positive but the manual seems to indicate that the auto recirc sensitivity setting adjustment in the Car menu may only be included with the Prestige 4-zone climate control (at least on the C7's).
This is true. You can access it under car settings for the 4 zone climate control
Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I wish it had some sort of containment sensor, as I haev to keep remembering to set it to recirculate when trucks are around me. My Acuras and Infiniti all remembered the recir setting you had set and ran in AUTO mode for all other function allowing you to permanently leave recir set.

Quick Reply: A/C recycle button - Can VCDS changes make it stay on?