Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Can S6 comfort seat be put in A6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can S6 comfort seat be put in A6?

Would an S6 massaging seat fit and be fully functional(Mmi mod needed.) in my 2012 A6?

Cost estimate ?

I drive a lot and seat comfort my only complaint
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by audifiend
Would an S6 massaging seat fit and be fully functional(Mmi mod needed.) in my 2012 A6?
It would physically fit. Are the massage functions controlled by the MMI? The driver position memory should be the same.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
It would physically fit. Are the massage functions controlled by the MMI? The driver position memory should be the same.
That's what I was wondering, if Mmi as is could handle the controls. May be worth it just for the seat itself
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't fit. AFAIK, the comfort seat available on the S6 in the States is also available on the regular A6 in Germany.

The only "obstacle" I see is the price of installation. The seat itself should be available in the States - but perhaps only in black.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audifiend
I drive a lot and seat comfort my only complaint
I had the same issue with seat comfort on my new A6. I'm 6' tall. The seats are too short, and the lumbar support pressed WAY too hard on my lower back, causing all sorts of back pain. Didn't matter how it was adjusted. Bought some custom sheep-skin seat covers, thinking that would help - it did, but not much. Here is what I ended up doing:
1 - completely removed the lumbar mechanism - four pieces of spring steel and two plastic brackets. That allowed the seat back to move further back and eased the pressure.
2 - carved out the lower cardboard stiffener and removed some foam that props out the lower portion of the seat back.
3 - added a custom foam insert that fills in the gap between the lower cushion and the seat back. I added pieces of foam at the lower sides of the seat back to give additional back support away from my spine.
4 - added 1" custom cut foam pad to seat that also extends the front of the seat by about 2.5 inches - just right to support my longer legs.
5 - covered all the foam with the sheep-skin covers - they are dyed brown and match my nougat brown interior very well.

Only drawback is lack of fast heating or ventilation due to sheep-skin covers. But, the sheep wool is pretty much self ventilating, doesn't get hot, and warms up very quickly. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect the seat warmers will still work, but just take a little longer to heat up through the sheep skin.

End result is VERY comfortable seats, for short of long drives. For me, that is an acceptable trade-off.