Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Can't open fuel lid

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't open fuel lid

Hello.
I have problems opening my fuel lid, it's about -10 degrees here in Sweden.
It seems locked, I've tried open it from my trunk (the red wire) and I still can not open it.

So, what is the problem when I can not open it with the red wire? I thought that was for emergencies so it would always open the lid.
Can the lock be frozen and that's why I can not open it with the wire, or something else?

Any other suggestions? I've unlocked/locked the car multiple times while also pulling the red wire and knocking on the fuel lid.
Greetings.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently had the same issue too, just to clarify the red string does not POP up the fuel lid but disengages the lock, so you do have to press on the lid to open it. So pull the string with enough pull, and then press on the lid to open it.
To get the assembly out you do have to partially damage the plastic piece that is around the gas tank neck. You have to break the rubber tabs and use a screw driver to release the internal tabs. I used a plier and pulled on the damaged actuator that released it partially and then i had to break one rubber tab to release the other tab.

The actuator failure is a known issue with audi/vw and other brands under the umbrella of vag.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
I recently had the same issue too, just to clarify the red string does not POP up the fuel lid but disengages the lock, so you do have to press on the lid to open it. So pull the string with enough pull, and then press on the lid to open it.
To get the assembly out you do have to partially damage the plastic piece that is around the gas tank neck. You have to break the rubber tabs and use a screw driver to release the internal tabs. I used a plier and pulled on the damaged actuator that released it partially and then i had to break one rubber tab to release the other tab.

The actuator failure is a known issue with audi/vw and other brands under the umbrella of vag.
Thanks for your answer. I actually tried pulling the red string while pressing the lid and nothing happens. I also tried pulling the red string while pulling the lid. It's superlocked/stuck. What can it be then?
Old 02-04-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bigadarick
Thanks for your answer. I actually tried pulling the red string while pressing the lid and nothing happens. I also tried pulling the red string while pulling the lid. It's superlocked/stuck. What can it be then?
May need to get to it from inside the trunk - doesn't hurt to try it in warmer area, let the car sit inside a warm garage for a bit.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porksoda
After you replaced the actuator with a new one, were you able to reuse the plastic insert even though you broke off a tab? If so, did it snap back in and stay tight, or does it have some play in it?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bigadarick
Hello.
I have problems opening my fuel lid, it's about -10 degrees here in Sweden.
It seems locked, I've tried open it from my trunk (the red wire) and I still can not open it.

So, what is the problem when I can not open it with the red wire? I thought that was for emergencies so it would always open the lid.
Can the lock be frozen and that's why I can not open it with the wire, or something else?

Any other suggestions? I've unlocked/locked the car multiple times while also pulling the red wire and knocking on the fuel lid.
Greetings.
Well documented problem and pulling the red wire will not help as that is to release the central locking pin and the problem you have is that the pin that secures the flap is supposed to rotate when you release it and it stops doing that. I have had this happen on both my current and previous C7 and Audi has an official repair kit for this. Only solution (and this is what Audi Assist did when I called them out) is to insert something, ideally plastic between the flap and the bodywork and carefully force the flap off the locking pin. Once it is off you can then refuel but you will not be able to secure the flap. Requires a trip to the dealer who will then replace the accutator. You don't say how old your car is but I would expect Audi to be sympathetic to you if your car is out of wearranty as it is clearly a known problem.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DDM
After you replaced the actuator with a new one, were you able to reuse the plastic insert even though you broke off a tab? If so, did it snap back in and stay tight, or does it have some play in it?
Yup, it fit in perfectly and it snapped back in tightly, i cannot pry it off at all with my hands. The part was not hugely expensive but why replace it if it works fine. I cut off the bottom rubber part and used that one only so everything looks good too no scratches and no visible damage.
There is a youtube video with someone doing this with an A7, i would suggest you watch it before you change this yourself.

I followed a suggestion by a member here to pull the broken actuator and pry it off but i was not fully successful and broke the actuator, but in the end it worked out.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Well documented problem and pulling the red wire will not help as that is to release the central locking pin and the problem you have is that the pin that secures the flap is supposed to rotate when you release it and it stops doing that. I have had this happen on both my current and previous C7 and Audi has an official repair kit for this. Only solution (and this is what Audi Assist did when I called them out) is to insert something, ideally plastic between the flap and the bodywork and carefully force the flap off the locking pin. Once it is off you can then refuel but you will not be able to secure the flap. Requires a trip to the dealer who will then replace the accutator. You don't say how old your car is but I would expect Audi to be sympathetic to you if your car is out of wearranty as it is clearly a known problem.
Indeed well known issue. I had same on my /15 A63.0T around 2 years of ownership and fixed no issue under warranty. As for Audi being sympathetic if car is out of warranty one can only hope but given some of my experiences and those of numerous of our compadres (see warped brake rotor threads) I would not hold my breath. Audi does themselves no favors treating their customers like garbage and this will hurt them in the long run. I love the car -- the company, not at all. Although my warped rotors were replaced under warranty (all 4 under 11,000 miles -- and for the record I drive the car gently), this was done in the case of fronts with a love note at bottom of the repair order to the effect that this was a one time goodwill gesture. I find that obnoxious for a 60,000 dollar German luxury car that is advertised along the lines of "Truth in Engineering." This can happen to any car but attempting to soak the customer if happens again in next 12,000 miles while car still under warranty is unacceptable. I doubt that I will purchase another VAG product given this kind of treatment. There are bigger issues on the horizon with the 3.0T engine including possible valve coking and timing chain guide problems which if they come to the fore will manifest themselves after warranty expiration. Given manner in which Audi is handling rotor warping issue I have no faith at all that once out of warranty if experience a catastrophic failure due to timing chain guide failure Audi will step up to the plate. Very un-Lexus/Acura like approach to customer care.

Best,
Jeff