Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car And Driver Audi a6 vs 2013 Lexus GS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, the GS looks like a kids car to me. I'm sure my son would love it but to many angles and dangles for me. Looks like they didn't know when to stop with the lines, they go here and there, up and down, very choppy. But one mans trash is another man treasure.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lipslocked
it looks like their A6 had the sport package with the sport suspension, beefier tires and bigger 19" wheels. not a very fair comparo.
The GS in the test is actually a non F-sport version and the A6 had the 19" sport package. If the non F-sport GS handles better than the A6 with SP, the F-sport GS will blow the A6 out of the water.
A few reviews had mention that the GS's handling feels artificial, almost too electronic and not mechanical like the German cars. I was at a dealer invite last week for the GS launch party and I have an appointment to test drive it next weekend. I guess I will reserve my opinion on the handling until after my test drive.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcmetro
Overall I'd own Audi & BMW over any other car.
+1 on that. In my opinion, there is simply no other car on the road like the BMW 3 Series, and after all the years that it's been on the market, it amazes me that nobody else has been able to come up with anything comparable. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

Regarding build quality and reliability, one of the things we like about our new A6 is how solid it feels and sounds. The C7 may prove otherwise, but our long-term experience with Audi reliability has not been terribly good. We've made the calculated decision to keep our cars a long time, but in hindsight we probably wouldn't do it again without an extended warranty. I think others probably feel similarly; most of the Audiworld C5 forum stalwarts disappeared abruptly when their vehicles were about 7 or 8 years old.

One other note on BMW and Audi engineering and reliability: my experience with BMW has been that there are known, common shortcomings in given BMW models, but once they're taken care of, you're pretty much good to go. By contrast, with Audi, the list of shortcomings is longer and more random with a lot of nickel and dime stuff, and taking care of a problem is no guarantee that it won't return (e.g., our C5 is on its 3rd water pump).
Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Handling wise, I would to agree that there is no other car like the 3 series in that segment, but the 3 series fall short in the interior department. I would say the S4 is pretty comparable with the 335i, too bad Audi doesn’t make that many S4.
I have no illusion of any German cars being reliable, Audi, MB or BMW. If I happen to own a reliable one, I guess I just got lucky. BMW as well as MB can also have repeated problems, I have seen it, the BMW high pressure fuel pump is a good example.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences to account for

I am not sure if there are differences in the level of kit in the cars. In UK, if you look at Auto trader for adverts for equivalent models of A4/ 3 series or A6 / 5 series or A3/1series, typically Audi's have a higher level of kit. For example you would find 10 times the number of A4's with satnavs than the 3 series with sat navs of cars less than a year or two. I think there are some differences in the type of buyers too. In the UK business buyers are more for 3 series.

A survey of buyers I saw showed Audi buyers were happy to wait for longer periods than any other mainstream cars.

I have been lucky with the Audi's - my last two cars TT for 3 years and an A4 for 4 years with over 130 thousand miles have been problem free completely. Am waiting A6 delivery next month and hope it does the same. I have heard similar accounts with some of my colleagues who have had BMWs. But I think there are differences in kit levels, expectations of buyers and service from dealers. There are far too many variables to arrive at a conclusion.

Hondas and Skodas top charts in customer satisfaction in UK. But the type of engines, expectations of buyers, level of mileage done, service intervals, cost of service, age of the buyers and level of kit are so different to compare the cars.

I can't say much about Infiniti but in the UK, BMW and Audi have had an upper hand than MB in recent years.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon2000
+1 on that. In my opinion, there is simply no other car on the road like the BMW 3 Series, and after all the years that it's been on the market, it amazes me that nobody else has been able to come up with anything comparable. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

Regarding build quality and reliability, one of the things we like about our new A6 is how solid it feels and sounds. The C7 may prove otherwise, but our long-term experience with Audi reliability has not been terribly good. We've made the calculated decision to keep our cars a long time, but in hindsight we probably wouldn't do it again without an extended warranty. I think others probably feel similarly; most of the Audiworld C5 forum stalwarts disappeared abruptly when their vehicles were about 7 or 8 years old.

One other note on BMW and Audi engineering and reliability: my experience with BMW has been that there are known, common shortcomings in given BMW models, but once they're taken care of, you're pretty much good to go. By contrast, with Audi, the list of shortcomings is longer and more random with a lot of nickel and dime stuff, and taking care of a problem is no guarantee that it won't return (e.g., our C5 is on its 3rd water pump).
+1. In my own experience and opinion, I think segment owners are:

- 3 series for midsize sedan
- A6 for large sedan
- S550 for ultra-luxury sedan

Above is drawn from my experiences with owning all three. I used to have a 3-series (loved it until it was totaled), now have a A6 and a MB GL SUV ( and a very close friend who owns the S550). Personally I did even look at a C or an E when buying the cars. Not a big fan of MB except for their S line or GL line.

Also agree with your assessment on issues more issues with Audi vs BMW. As much as Audis are more fun to drive, I've had LOT more issues with my A6 than with my BMW or MB unfortunately. I'll detail that in another thread soon once I get my new A6. Hoping that C7 changes my opinion. Else I'll be back to bimmers frankly even though I really like A6 now.

Last edited by dcmetro; 02-10-2012 at 09:45 AM.