Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car & Driver gets it sooo right..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my electronic toys. Screw them. As soon as I saw their "Save The Manuals" campaign, I knew C&Ds writers had their heads up their asses. Who the hell buys a manual in the 21st century? Only ricers, writers and control freaks. Can't outshift a computer, why even bother trying.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gogo_vs
Audi side assist and electric folding mirrors are already part of the Prestige package for MY2014. I don't like Active side assist and 360 degree top camera is just a gimmick I don't need. Adaptive cruise control is a good feature but I don't drive a lot on a highway. Like I said the "Break guard" or Audi pre sense plus is the only feature that make sense to me but if the sensors malfunction, I don't even want to think what may happen.
You're right about the power mirrors with the 2014 Prestige - I missed that. However, there is no "active side assist" - Lane Assist, which actively attempts to keep the car in the lane, is not the same as Side Assist which is a passive blind spot alert. Lane assist is only included in the Driver Assist package. Side assist is included with Prestige.

Again, other than a couple of reported "instances" in the Forum, there is no reason to believe all Audis with the Pre sense Plus (of which brake guard is a component) are prone to activating unless there's an imminent danger of a collision with a followed vehicle. Just like with other isolated reports of this or that failure, until there's a series of reports, I'm not concerned.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Again, other than a couple of reported "instances" in the Forum, there is no reason to believe all Audis with the Pre sense Plus (of which brake guard is a component) are prone to activating unless there's an imminent danger of a collision with a followed vehicle. Just like with other isolated reports of this or that failure, until there's a series of reports, I'm not concerned.
I had that happen once. It grenaded the brakes, but there were no other cars around. Hasn't happened since.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Banned

I'm sure journalists only push optional extras that they can understand. C&D ddid't cite any specific reason why the DA package was not worthy, but pushed and expensive wood trim option... a bit of bias there if you ask me.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike_L
I had that happen once. It grenaded the brakes, but there were no other cars around. Hasn't happened since.
Are you saying you were brake checked by your own car?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just for clarification, there is no evidence that those with the previous steering issues (wandering and notchiness) had anything to do with Lane Assist - that was only one supposition made by some a year ago. In any case, there has since been a software update that solved those issues and any new C7 at this point will already have it applied. The highway off center wandering problem, was solved in my case with the update - I don't have Lane Assist. Those with the notchiness issues have also reported that the update solved it. An unknown, large percentage of owners with MY2012+ C7s have never had a steering issue.
Well based on the comments from people on this board, "solved" is a relative term. From the reports I have read here, while the notchiness and off center wandering went away with the update, in its place you gained light, loose steering that a lot of folks are not happy about. So I am not sure it really has been solved if you trade one issue for another

I myself passed on the Driver Assist. I did get the side assist but that was it. I guess I am like the C&D reviewers in I am a driving enthusiast and don't want the car doing it for me. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used cruise control over the last 15 years. 360 degree cameras seem gimmicky. Having the car break for me - scary. I want to drive it, not let it drive me. So yea, I see the merits in C&D's utter ruination comment if you enjoy driving a vehicle, especially a performance vehicle
Old 11-22-2013, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Well based on the comments from people on this board, "solved" is a relative term. From the reports I have read here, while the notchiness and off center wandering went away with the update, in its place you gained light, loose steering that a lot of folks are not happy about. So I am not sure it really has been solved if you trade one issue for another
Not really wanting to ressurect the whole steering update discussion again but my reply was to the poster who was considering buying a new A6 and was concerned about the past reported steering issues. I was pointing out that the wandering, notchiness (and the safety related, sudden lurching of the car reported by a few folks) were solved by the steering update. It's true that some are not happy with the change in regards to reduced steering effort. I, for one, have no problem with it and was glad to trade most of the constant wandering I was experiencing for what I discern as a bit of reduced effort in the Dynamic mode. In any case, the point to my post was anyone purchasing a 2014 at this point will already have the update applied and will not experience any of the potentially more serious issues of the past that I believe the potential new owner was referencing.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Are you saying you were brake checked by your own car?
Yeah, pretty much. Must have been a glitch or something covering one of the sensors or cameras. Either that or there was a ghost in front of the car that it didn't want to hit.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gogo_vs
Audi side assist and electric folding mirrors are already part of the Prestige package for MY2014. I don't like Active side assist and 360 degree top camera is just a gimmick I don't need. Adaptive cruise control is a good feature but I don't drive a lot on a highway. Like I said the "Break guard" or Audi pre sense plus is the only feature that make sense to me but if the sensors malfunction, I don't even want to think what may happen.
Adaptive Cruise Control - Guess you're not that up on it, because it's not just for "highway" driving. I use it around town all the time because living in DC in rushhour traffic is a PITA. I set it for 65mph, and set my distance to minimal, and let the car do the negotiations. I never have to worry about rear-ending someone because the cars cruise controal and active breaking will save itself. To me this is the BEST feature of my Audi, and would buy it again.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
..... I can count on one hand the number of times I have used cruise control over the last 15 years. 360 degree cameras seem gimmicky. Having the car break for me - scary. I want to drive it, not let it drive me. So yea, I see the merits in C&D's utter ruination comment if you enjoy driving a vehicle, especially a performance vehicle
^^^This^^^

But I like said, not sure yet. trying to get more input from owners.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver gets it sooo right..