Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car Wash Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wash Disaster

So I go in to one of the automated car wash places, where you drive through the wash on a track first and afterwards the guys do the hand cleaning. I never should have done this after reading now that any wash with brushes scratch the paint, but so far I cannot see any. But the real problem was that I forgot the rain sensing wiper was on and it decided to come on just as the dryer vents started approaching the windshield. The suction of the vents pulled the wiper blades and tore them out, mangling them and throwing them by the side. Of course, they could not be re-used, so went to the dealer and paid $57 to get a replacement set. The dealer service manager said it is fairly common incident and advised to just bring it in for a free car wash when I needed one. The whole thing freaked me out at the time, so no more automated car washes for me.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just turn off the rain sensing wipers, being this has happened to you, it is something you should not forget, as in every time you pull in a car wash a light will go on in your head.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Misleading thread title.

This was your fault, not the car washes.

Title should have been "I made a mistake".

Although I am curious. Rain sensing wipers should have come almost immediately as soap is applied right away. But you say yours didn't activate until going thru the blowers which are at the end of the wash.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Misleading thread title.

This was your fault, not the car washes.

Title should have been "I made a mistake".

Although I am curious. Rain sensing wipers should have come almost immediately as soap is applied right away. But you say yours didn't activate until going thru the blowers which are at the end of the wash.
how is it misleading? it was a disaster in a car wash !
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your situation. My past S5 never saw the inside of a car wash (touchless or otherwise). My S6 will not too. This is not about pampering my cars which is meant to be driven even here in cold Midwest.

Just hate to know the crap embedded in the mop they initially use to clean the front and back panels + windshield, the recycled water and the drying cloth they used over and over again prior to my car.

My Q7 is a victim of this since it is just too much work to self wash. I send my Q7 back to the dealer to perform a exterior/interior detailing each Spring.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s5blitzer

Just hate to know the crap embedded in the mop they initially use to clean the front and back panels + windshield, the recycled water and the drying cloth they used over and over again prior to my car.

If you use a touchless car wash you don't have to worry about these issues.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Good question?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
If you use a touchless car wash you don't have to worry about these issues.
I am not sure there is any car wash that is really touchless. I have been to many and they all seem to have something touching the vehicle even if they state they are touchless.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by alvam
I am not sure there is any car wash that is really touchless. I have been to many and they all seem to have something touching the vehicle even if they state they are touchless.
I have found some that are touchless. Many say "brushless" but that is not "touchless." A bunch of dirty, greasy rag strips spinning around and slapping your car is "brushless", but I don't want thatnear my paint. A friend of mine was in the touchless car wash and a nozzle of some sort had apparently come loose and under the pressure of the water popped off and hit the car. It was his second car and only had a minor ding/scratch so he wasn't that upset. Even that is to much for our lovely Audi's.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by alvam
The one I go to has only pressured water touching my car.

Quick Reply: Car Wash Disaster