Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car Wash Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by looking@audi
The one I go to has only pressured water touching my car.
The one I go to has a manual undercarriage wash and buckets with microfiber towels for the rest. They also do a quick hand wax
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Misleading thread title.

This was your fault, not the car washes.

Title should have been "I made a mistake".

Although I am curious. Rain sensing wipers should have come almost immediately as soap is applied right away. But you say yours didn't activate until going thru the blowers which are at the end of the wash.
Absolutely, my mistake I just forgot about the wipers.

About why they turned on only at the dryer section, that has puzzled me too. I have noticed before in real rain that they have not come on. The dealer service manager pointed out that the sensor is near the top of the windshield (where the rearview mirror is) but still in a car wash that should not be a problem. Not sure.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gravi
About why they turned on only at the dryer section, that has puzzled me too. I have noticed before in real rain that they have not come on. The dealer service manager pointed out that the sensor is near the top of the windshield (where the rearview mirror is) but still in a car wash that should not be a problem. Not sure.
The rain sensor doesn't kick in until speed has reached something like 5 or so mph after the car has been started.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
The rain sensor doesn't kick in until speed has reached something like 5 or so mph after the car has been started.
Interesting - I'm sure a lot of folks like me didn't know this.

So if the car is off at the gas station, and you use the squeeze to clean your windows the rain sensing wipers won't come on.

The automatic dryer at the car wash must have fooled the OP's sensor.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Ok, I take my car to a car wash. I have to turn off the auto wiper rain sensor feature as i enter the car wash. Just as the fellow sprays my windows at a full stop, the wipers engage. Not sure about the 5 mph thing.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
Interesting - I'm sure a lot of folks like me didn't know this.

So if the car is off at the gas station, and you use the squeeze to clean your windows the rain sensing wipers won't come on.

The automatic dryer at the car wash must have fooled the OP's sensor.
I wash my 2013 A6 in my heated apartment building garage. I leave the engine off and the rain sensing wipers have never gone off. However, when I spray the water at the door the locking/unlocking function goes into action including the lights flashing and the chirp. I guess the pressure of the water hitting the handles simulates a human touching it.

I have learned to leave my keyless fob a good distance away from the car when washing it and then nothing happens. It is kind of a funny experience when it flashes while you are washing the car.