Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car's behavior when the driver gets out and leaves the engine running

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car's behavior when the driver gets out and leaves the engine running

There's been discussion lately about some A6 cars with push button start that shut off the engine when the driver's door is opened. Apparently that function can be changed via VCDS to suit people's preferences.

Our 2012 doesn't do much of anything if you get out and leave the engine running, except to question whether you've left the key in the car (i.e. to prevent the driver getting out and walking away with the key while a second driver takes off in the car without the key present).

But today in a 2013 loaner, I found that the car chimed loudly when the driver's door was opened while the engine was still running. This seemed like a somewhat desirable feature and might come in handy in our household, where one person has (ahem) gotten out of the car and been unable to lock it, only to realize that the reason the car wouldn't lock was that the motor was still running.

Can the loud chime be added through VCDS?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon2000
Our 2012 doesn't do much of anything if you get out and leave the engine running, except to question whether you've left the key in the car....Can the loud chime be added through VCDS?
Are you saying that your car doesn't chime at all when you open the door with the engine running?

If that is the case, then yes, VCDS can add the door chime feature.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grapeking
Are you saying that your car doesn't chime at all when you open the door with the engine running?

If that is the case, then yes, VCDS can add the door chime feature.
I can't say for sure what it does in our 2012 when the driver's door is opened and the engine is running -- it either does nothing or is chimes very mildly (I think it also displays a "Is the key in the car?" message). I'll have to 2x check when the car comes back from the dealer. However, the 2013 loaner we currently have definitely beeps loudly as soon as the door is opened, and the dashboard displays a message saying to turn the car off before getting out of the driver's seat (but it doesn't go so far as to shut the engine off on its own).
Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon2000
There's been discussion lately about some A6 cars with push button start that shut off the engine when the driver's door is opened. Apparently that function can be changed via VCDS to suit people's preferences.

Our 2012 doesn't do much of anything if you get out and leave the engine running, except to question whether you've left the key in the car (i.e. to prevent the driver getting out and walking away with the key while a second driver takes off in the car without the key present).

But today in a 2013 loaner, I found that the car chimed loudly when the driver's door was opened while the engine was still running. This seemed like a somewhat desirable feature and might come in handy in our household, where one person has (ahem) gotten out of the car and been unable to lock it, only to realize that the reason the car wouldn't lock was that the motor was still running.

Can the loud chime be added through VCDS?
I have a 2013 a6 and engine shuts down when i open the door, you had said this feature can be changed by the VCDS, how can i go about doing this, thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by swift1644
I have a 2013 a6 and engine shuts down when i open the door, you had said this feature can be changed by the VCDS, how can i go about doing this, thanks
I don't believe there's away to change this with Vag-com. The dealer can remove the behavior with a TSB:
https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2845121.html