Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center Console

What do you guys use the storage in front of the shifter on the center console for?

I have been putting so much change in there I can probably pay for my next lease payment.

It seems like mostly wasted space to me (awkward spot to put a cell phone, too big for eyeglasses, etc.). Why not move the shifter forward another inch, which would still provide storage, and leave more room to increase the size of the cupholders.

Opinions?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose change, I agree, I don't know what else to put there.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
What do you guys use the storage in front of the shifter on the center console for?

I have been putting so much change in there I can probably pay for my next lease payment.

It seems like mostly wasted space to me (awkward spot to put a cell phone, too big for eyeglasses, etc.). Why not move the shifter forward another inch, which would still provide storage, and leave more room to increase the size of the cupholders.

Opinions?
That won't happen until the next A6/A7. The space is supposed to house the "Cigarette Lighter/Ash Tray", but Audi stopped installing them without telling anyone in the middle of the 2012 model year. In Europe they still them, so that space will stay there.

If anyone is ordering their car, I was told by a Sales guy at my dealer that they can make a request to Audi before manufacturing starts, to install the Smokers package.

My car was built before Audi started doing this, so I have the Smokers Package in my car. I don't smoke, but I like having the extra charging port up there. I use the Ash Tray for my change.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manishaudi

My car was built before Audi started doing this, so I have the Smokers Package in my car. I don't smoke, but I like having the extra charging port up there. I use the Ash Tray for my change.
+1 same here. I also put my ID badge there from time to time.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remote control to open gate/garage door. Perfect for it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbob
Remote control to open gate/garage door. Perfect for it.
Don't you have the built in garage door opener programmed?

I use the compartment for my sunglasses that don't fit in the overhead sunglasses compartment.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have only had the car one month, but seems to be mostly wasted space. Too small for a cup/can, too large for glasses, just an awkward space.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Don't you have the built in garage door opener programmed?(
The door to my apartment building's indoor garage does not work like a normal (SEARS) garage door opener. Before the complex switched to a newer high security access system for all doors (including the garage door) we had the old fashioned kind of door opener and on my last three Audi’s I just pointed the remote at the grille, did whatever I was supposed to and it was programmed. This does not work with the new opener and since I am on the board of the coop I called the vendor and they said it will not work but this is an added security benefit so bad guys driving around scanning for door codes won’t be able to gain access. “For how long will that be true” I thought. Anyway, I am getting a 2013 A6 next week – do you think the “hi-tech” remote will work on that (it doesn’t on my 2010 A6)? Maybe Audi upgraded the device to accommodate the new openers.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I searched the door opener manufacturer’s (DoorKing) site and found the following, so I guess it won’t work with the new A6 that I am sure uses HomeLink:
MicroPLUS RF controls provide you with the highest level of security available with RF access controls. Our coding and encryption schemes are not shared with other producers, resulting in transmitter codes that cannot be duplicated or copied. With MicroPLUS controls, you are assured that only the original intended transmitter will activate your access system. MicroPlus products ARE NOT compatible with the HomeLink system.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The '13 A6 uses the same Homelink system as at least the last 5 years so it appears you'll have the same issues.

Quick Reply: Center Console