Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Clear Bra Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Feedback

I was looking for some feedback on what areas of he car should be covered when getting XPEL installed. I have an appointment on Wednesday to finally get it done and here are the areas I am planning to have done unless I missed something.

Hood (18inch), both front quarter panels, bumper, both rocker panels, both rear quarter panels and finally the loading area of the rear bumper. Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-03-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Some people cover the mirrors and entire hood. A couple covered the A pillars and one covered leading section of the roof.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Some people cover the mirrors and entire hood. A couple covered the A pillars and one covered leading section of the roof.
Thanks. I did forget to add the mirrors would be covered as well.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I assume you are getting the Xpel Ultimate vs. one of their standard films (well worth it due to the self-healing properties and it's own clear coat).

While it adds substantially to the cost due to requiring use of an Xpel Ultimate 60" film roll, consider the whole hood. You'll be pretty upset if a stone chips the hood just behind the 18" bra (a stone will not necessarily accommodate aiming for only the bra). Plus, if the installer wraps the edges, you will see no seams or collect dirt and wax on the film edge. You won't see the film at all. They should also wrap the fender edges for the same reasons.

You said you're getting the mirror housings done - also consider adding the full front bumper and both rocker panels along with a piece on the rear bumper by the trunk opening where luggage gets loaded/unloaded. I know it's not inexpensive but consider the cost to repaint those areas down the road. Less now vs. more later.

So far, after almost 8K miles, not one chip anywhere on the car (except in the damn windshield ).
Old 03-03-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I assume you are getting the Xpel Ultimate vs. one of their standard films (well worth it due to the self-healing properties and it's own clear coat).

While it adds substantially to the cost due to requiring use of an Xpel Ultimate 60" film roll, consider the whole hood. You'll be pretty upset if a stone chips the hood just behind the 18" bra (a stone will not necessarily accommodate aiming for only the bra). Plus, if the installer wraps the edges, you will see no seams or collect dirt and wax on the film edge. You won't see the film at all. They should also wrap the fender edges for the same reasons.

You said you're getting the mirror housings done - also consider adding the full front bumper and both rocker panels along with a piece on the rear bumper by the trunk opening where luggage gets loaded/unloaded. I know it's not inexpensive but consider the cost to repaint those areas down the road. Less now vs. more later.

So far, after almost 8K miles, not one chip anywhere on the car (except in the damn windshield ).
Snagit, you may a very good point about rock chips missing the 18" clear bra. The car I purchased had a bikini cut clear bra on the hood and onto the left/right fenders. So, after about 3 months or so I end up with a rock chip above the clear bra. I had the hood repainted to fix the rock chip and then had Xpel Ultima put on the entire hood and entire left/right fenders and rear bumper. Dealer had already put 3M clear bra on mirrors, door edges and behind door handles.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snagit has it right about the hood. Worth the cost and if you are going to do full quarter panels front and rear why wouldn't you do the full hood?

Also consider the A pillar - I didn't and now have a good chip on the driver side A pillar...wish I had it covered now...
Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the whole hood also. Worth it in my opinion. But then again, it depends on the cost of the installation.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
I did the whole hood also. Worth it in my opinion. But then again, it depends on the cost of the installation.
I did ask the guy about the entire hood but he said that he's never got a request for that before and felt it was unnecessary. I do plan on all the areas named except I was not thinking of the A pillars which I will now add the list.

I just may cancel using this guy but in looking for local XPEL dealers/installers I only found 3 in the Denver area and 2 of them were mobile guys which I won't do. Does anyone know of a Denver area installer because, like I said, I could not find any local XPEL installers. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alvam
I did ask the guy about the entire hood but he said that he's never got a request for that before and felt it was unnecessary. I do plan on all the areas named except I was not thinking of the A pillars which I will now add the list.

I just may cancel using this guy but in looking for local XPEL dealers/installers I only found 3 in the Denver area and 2 of them were mobile guys which I won't do. Does anyone know of a Denver area installer because, like I said, I could not find any local XPEL installers. Any help would be appreciated.
I would respectfully disagree with the installer you talked to. Without covering the full hood you hardly cover any of the it. Think about the beating the windshield takes and how much doesn't hit the windshield because it hits the hood. He hasn't had the request for the full hood because he hasn't had anyone who wants to protect the hood ask for it yet.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by alvam

My Xpel Ultimate installer in Massachusetts only does full hoods and does many exotic, high-end automobiles. I find it surprising that the guy has "never had a request for a full hood install" - that should tell you something. I suspect your installer doesn't want to carry the 60" roll which is expensive and harder to work with without some expertise.

Check here for Xpel installers in CO. Looks like there are several that are factory trained. As far as no "mobile guys", don't dismiss them out of hand. They may have a guy who does the film installs and is an expert with Ultimate. Even going to Ft Collins or Colo Springs for a day would be worth it if it's the best guy.

http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear...tates/Colorado

You can always call Xpel and ask them for recommendations on one or more of those dealers. I've talked to them and they were very helpful.

http://www.xpel.com/support/default.asp

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Feedback