Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Clear Bra Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My Xpel Ultimate installer in Massachusetts only does full hoods and does many exotic, high-end automobiles. I find it surprising that the guy has "never had a request for a full hood install" - that should tell you something. I suspect your installer doesn't want to carry the 60" roll which is expensive and harder to work with without some expertise.

Check here for Xpel installers in CO. Looks like there are several that are factory trained. As far as no "mobile guys", don't dismiss them out of hand. They may have a guy who does the film installs and is an expert with Ultimate. Even going to Ft Collins or Colo Springs for a day would be worth it if it's the best guy.

http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear...tates/Colorado

You can always call Xpel and ask them for recommendations on one or more of those dealers. I've talked to them and they were very helpful.

http://www.xpel.com/support/default.asp
+1

I agree that if the installer says he has never done a full hood in XPel Ultimate, then you might want to find another shop.

When I visited my local XPel installed, they were applying a full hood film on a Lamborghini. I feel very confident that they can do a good job on my A8 when it arrives in 2 months.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Additional area to cover...

I am actually about to get the XPEL Ultimate installed myself (full hood, full fenders, side mirrors & front bumper)

I wanted to point out a couple of additional areas to cover:
1) The area under the door handles (gets scratched up over time from people nails, and keys
2) The Trunk loading strip

Both installers I am talking to, say that they will include these areas at no additional cost.

Also, I wanted to find out if the prices I was quoted by the 2 installers (official from XPELs website) were good ones. I got quoted $1495 by one and $1400 by the other. Have to do my research on the quality of the installers, but I thought you guys might tell me if these are good prices.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I am actually about to get the XPEL Ultimate installed myself (full hood, full fenders, side mirrors & front bumper)

1) The area under the door handles (gets scratched up over time from people nails, and keys

Both installers I am talking to, say that they will include these areas at no additional cost.

Also, I wanted to find out if the prices I was quoted by the 2 installers (official from XPELs website) were good ones. I got quoted $1495 by one and $1400 by the other. Have to do my research on the quality of the installers, but I thought you guys might tell me if these are good prices.
Those numbers look about right for what your getting done.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The only thing I had done beyond your selections were the rocker panels. I've had numerous rock chips there on previous cars. With that addition, I paid about $1600 all in including wrapped edges on the hood and fenders so your quotes are in the ballpark.
Also, be sure your installer does a good clay bar job on the paint before applying the film.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
Those numbers look about right for what your getting done.
Cool.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The only thing I had done beyond your selections were the rocker panels. I've had numerous rock chips there on previous cars. With that addition, I paid about $1600 all in including wrapped edges on the hood and fenders so your quotes are in the ballpark.
Also, be sure your installer does a good clay bar job on the paint before applying the film.
Rocker panels...I didn't think about that, thanks for the idea. You are the 2nd person to mention wrapped edges to me (jrAudi also did), so I will make sure they do that. Also, thanks for the clay bar idea, I was planning to detail the car before I took it in...but it is a good idea to also have them clay it first.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, thanks for the clay bar idea, I was planning to detail the car before I took it in...but it is a good idea to also have them clay it first.
Your car is not new and you should have a full paint correction done by the shop installing the film. It will remove any defects before they are sealed in plastic.

Detailers Domain appears to do good work and you can see the services they offer. There should be several shops like it on the west coast.

https://detailersdomain.com/Clear-Fi...n_ep_54-1.html
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Your car is not new and you should have a full paint correction done by the shop installing the film. It will remove any defects before they are sealed in plastic.

Detailers Domain appears to do good work and you can see the services they offer. There should be several shops like it on the west coast.

+1

And you should really do this even on a new car. Mine had a lot of scratches on it from washes in the first couple of weeks - took a couple of weeks to get the car detailed. The clear bra will slightly hide the scratches, but it will look much better without the scratches.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tenspeed

My installer told me to let him clay it inside his shop just before the film was appplied. (He didn't charge me any extra). He said even if I drove it for just a few miles to his shop, some road "gunk" would undoubtedly attach to the car.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Any good installer will claybar the car before applying film. This shouldn't even be up for discussion
Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Any good installer will claybar the car before applying film. This shouldn't even be up for discussion
You're right, it shouldn't. But when an installer tells a prospective customer "no one has ever asked for a full hood install", it makes you wonder if all installers are equally trained and qualified to do it correctly.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Feedback