Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Clear Bra Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You're right, it shouldn't. But when an installer tells a prospective customer "no one has ever asked for a full hood install", it makes you wonder if all installers are equally trained and qualified to do it correctly.
I can tell you they are all not the same given I have reached out to more than a few installers in the local area and there seems to be a distinct difference in their mindset. That said, I will be expanding my search to more than just the local area even if I have to travel a couple of hours or more to find the right installer. The interesting thing is that the ones I have already spoken to do not seem to do the detail work (clay bar prep etc.) prior to the install as noted below so I am still looking for that right installer who gives me a good feeling that they know what they're doing.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My installer told me to let him clay it inside his shop just before the film was appplied. (He didn't charge me any extra). He said even if I drove it for just a few miles to his shop, some road "gunk" would undoubtedly attach to the car.
Paint correction is more than just using a clay bar. Paint correction minimizes/eliminates the spider webbing and fine scratches that will be in the paint when the car is delivered. Claying just removes contamination, does nothing for the scratches, and in fact can add them if not done properly.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Paint correction is more than just using a clay bar. Paint correction minimizes/eliminates the spider webbing and fine scratches that will be in the paint when the car is delivered. Claying just removes contamination, does nothing for the scratches, and in fact can add them if not done properly.
I guess it depends on the condition of the paint when you bring in the car to have film installed. My car only had 200 miles when I had my Xpel installed so all it needed was a clay on the areas to prep for the film - no paint imperfections. If a car needs more detail work than that, I would think it would fall outside of the normal prep by a film installer and would likely incur cost.

In any case, if the wax and grit is properly removed before application, a proper install shouldn't add further scratching. All the same, if you're going to make an Xpel Ultimate investment, you would want to take care of any paint defects before installing the film. It's always best to have it installed if possible when the car is close to new before any paint issues develop.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess it depends on the condition of the paint when you bring in the car to have film installed. My car only had 200 miles when I had my Xpel installed so all it needed was a clay on the areas to prep for the film - no paint imperfections. If a car needs more detail work than that, I would think it would fall outside of the normal prep by a film installer and would likely incur cost.

In any case, if the wax and grit is properly removed before application, a proper install shouldn't add further scratching. All the same, if you're going to make an Xpel Ultimate investment, you would want to take care of any paint defects before installing the film. It's always best to have it installed if possible when the car is close to new before any paint issues develop.
I was actually thinking of having the exterior detailed prior to doing the Expel just to clear up a few little swirl marks I have seen on the hood. I didn't want them just covered over by the film. My car does not appear to have paint "imperfections" but nothing is perfect so take that with a grain of whatever. I have about 550 miles on her and given I don't want to drive it too much until I get the film on it I really need to get this moving.

In a nutshell: 1) I will get exterior detailed to remove a few 'swirl" marks I see and get paint as "glassy" as can 2) I will get someone who knows what they are doing (good prep prior to install) and 3) I will get the full hood, full bumber, both front and rear quarter panels, rocker panels (both sides), both mirrors, both A-pillars, rear bumber loading area.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's what I had done on mine.

Full Front bumper
Full Hood
Both right and left Fenders
Both A Frame Pillars back to where the joint between front and back of the car are seperated.
Both Mirrors (just the tops, not the bottoms)
All cups for door handles
Rear Bumper for loading/unloading stuff (Just the top)

$1500
Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alvam
I was actually thinking of having the exterior detailed prior to doing the Expel just to clear up a few little swirl marks I have seen on the hood. I didn't want them just covered over by the film. My car does not appear to have paint "imperfections" but nothing is perfect so take that with a grain of whatever. I have about 550 miles on her and given I don't want to drive it too much until I get the film on it I really need to get this moving.

In a nutshell: 1) I will get exterior detailed to remove a few 'swirl" marks I see and get paint as "glassy" as can 2) I will get someone who knows what they are doing (good prep prior to install) and 3) I will get the full hood, full bumber, both front and rear quarter panels, rocker panels (both sides), both mirrors, both A-pillars, rear bumber loading area.
I recently saw your vehicle, and I noticed a spec of dirt underneath the pass side rear wheel well. Please remove that spec, or some here will begin to think you have eliminated your OC symptoms.

Sarcastic me. lol
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
+1

And you should really do this even on a new car. Mine had a lot of scratches on it from washes in the first couple of weeks - took a couple of weeks to get the car detailed. The clear bra will slightly hide the scratches, but it will look much better without the scratches.
Expel product is fantastic, and I have done much of the same coverage as the op. I did have the installer put a piece on the top of the rear bumper so that my suitcases do not scratch the surface there.

NOTED PROBLEM WITH BUMPER COVERAGE:

I have seen a few cars get scraped on the corners of the bumpers. Any plastic protection will get TORN and fragmented. Next car, I might do bumpers without covering the ends of the bumpers. Just an idea to play with, as I have not thought out the process or solution.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by z06bigbird
Expel product is fantastic, and I have done much of the same coverage as the op. I did have the installer put a piece on the top of the rear bumper so that my suitcases do not scratch the surface there.

NOTED PROBLEM WITH BUMPER COVERAGE:

I have seen a few cars get scraped on the corners of the bumpers. Any plastic protection will get TORN and fragmented. Next car, I might do bumpers without covering the ends of the bumpers. Just an idea to play with, as I have not thought out the process or solution.
Film anywhere on the car can be damaged by a significant impact (beyond say, a rock chip). I guess you have to weigh the advantage of avoiding rock chips resulting in eventual paint repair against the chance someone would scrape your bumper. Either way, if it happens, a more expensive paint repair would be called for with or without the lesser cost of a replacement film piece.

With this is mind, I wouldn't forgo coverage of parts of the front bumper. A few paint chips and you'll most likely be eventually repainting the bumper while a bumper scrape is not a sure thing. Also, I would think it would result in additional visible seams.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never done this before.

In essence, is this like a cell phone screen protector for the whole car?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
I've never done this before.

In essence, is this like a cell phone screen protector for the whole car?
Sort of, but unlike a cell phone, road debris is a given and unavoidable with a car - the primary goal for doing film is to minimize rock chips. Few will do the whole car; if you've read the above posts, you can see that most have done or will consider the entire front which, obviously is the most exposed portion when on the road.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Feedback