Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Climate Control Settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate Control Settings

Probably a dumb question to post here, but I'm having some frustration with the climate controls on my 2012 A6. In all previous less sophisticated cars that I have owned, there has been a climate control setting I have used all winter that would direct a portion of the warm air to the front defroster and a portion of the warm air to the footwells, thereby simultaneously keeping the front windows clear of frost and condensation and keeping the cabin warm without having warm air blowing at my face and drying my eyes/putting me to sleep. It seems with the Audi that I can either have the front defroster on (at an annoyingly loud volume) or have cabin heat going, but not both at the same time. Am I missing something?

As long as I am asking dumb questions, I might as well ask the other one I have. When I am driving with my wife in the winter she likes the car to be toasty warm while I like it to be on the cooler side, so I was really looking forward to having the climate control with the independent temperature zones. I can set the controls to have my side be at 70 and her side be at 80+, but I don't know how (or if it is even possible) to make the blower kick on her side so she gets warmed up while I stay comfortable. Is there a way to accomplish this reasonably easily?
The following users liked this post:
TheStigOnline (12-12-2020)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2013 A6, driver and passenger may adjust fan speeds for their side of the car independently. Just press the fan button on the climate control panel, then spin the temperature **** to adjust the fan speed for that side of the car.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

When in the Auto position, the fans on each side should spool up to the individually set temps as soon as the car engine warms up. If the passenger is set at 80 degrees, the fan should automatically work at full power to get there. As previously noted, you can override the fan speed individually at any time.

Also in the Auto position, I believe warm air will be directed to both the foot well and the defroster when the temp is close to zero with the defroster taking priority for some period of time. You should also be able override any of this with your own settings.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm assuming he has a Premium Plus model and not the Prestige. With the P+, there's only one fan speed control for all zones when in manual mode. As pointed out, in auto mode, the fan speed should be variable for each zone if the temps are different. At least this was my understanding.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just leave it on Auto and adjust the temperature only. Really, the system takes into account lots of factors, and automatically adjusts the vents used and fan speed.

If it is heating, it will automatically use mostly the footwell vents to prevent drying your face and eyes, and the front windshield and side window vents to prevent them from fogging up. The A/C should also be left on to dehumidify the air and further prevent window fogging. It has a variable displacement compressor so it does not use much power when the temp is low, and it automatically switches off at freezing temps to prevent damage.

If it is cooling, it will use the upper vents. If there is a big difference between the temp you set and the cabin temp, like if you parked your car in the sun and it is really hot, it will also automatically increase the fan speed to cool down the cabin faster. You do not need to decrease the temp all the way to get this. In fact, I would recommend against doing that because then the A/C compressor will operate at maximum load and your gas mileage will suck very bad. I've heard that the A/C consumes 1 gallon/hr at full tilt.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 to NewMoon and Snag. Auto is your friend. I first learned of this feature on my 02 Acura back in 02. I can honestly say aside from a very rare fogging window on long drives I never take it off auto. I just tweak the degrees one or two degrees and I am never uncomfortable. I feel bad for the rest of my buttons as I never use them. Helps on resale as they look new.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pevend
Probably a dumb question to post here, but I'm having some frustration with the climate controls on my 2012 A6. In all previous less sophisticated cars that I have owned, there has been a climate control setting I have used all winter that would direct a portion of the warm air to the front defroster and a portion of the warm air to the footwells, thereby simultaneously keeping the front windows clear of frost and condensation and keeping the cabin warm without having warm air blowing at my face and drying my eyes/putting me to sleep. It seems with the Audi that I can either have the front defroster on (at an annoyingly loud volume) or have cabin heat going, but not both at the same time. Am I missing something?

As long as I am asking dumb questions, I might as well ask the other one I have. When I am driving with my wife in the winter she likes the car to be toasty warm while I like it to be on the cooler side, so I was really looking forward to having the climate control with the independent temperature zones. I can set the controls to have my side be at 70 and her side be at 80+, but I don't know how (or if it is even possible) to make the blower kick on her side so she gets warmed up while I stay comfortable. Is there a way to accomplish this reasonably easily?
Not a dumb question at all. I also hate hot air on my face and will fall asleep very quickly.

First, check whether your MMI allows you to increase the footwell temperature independently. Second, ensure that the "AC" button is enabled, as well as auto recirc, and that all your vents are open, centered (there's a detent), and aimed full down. Third, dial in the temperatures you and your wife want. Fourth, turn on AUTO and let everything stay as is until you sell the car.

Unless you're in Minnesota or perhaps North Dakota, the most you should ever need to do is hit the DEFROST button on exceptionally cold days. Even then, it just works.

I don't know about the 2012, but in my 2001 and 2005 A6 as well as the A8, DEFROST goes full bore until it senses the humidity decreasing, then it goes back to normal heating/cooling. Unless something is wrong with the car, or you've covered the vents, it simply WILL NOT blow hot air at your face unless you manually tell it to do so OR you have the temperature set to HI and the temperature is under 65(?)

On the A6, the passenger fan is NOT independent (at least, it wasn't in mine), so if your passenger has it set to HI, you will definitely get full blast until it's turned down to 84.

On my 2005 A6, I was in sub-zero temperatures in Vermont, and 115+ temperatures in Reno, and everything in between and never, ever, no not ever, did I touch the temperature controls.

Perhaps you should consult your service department. Again, I don't have a 2012 A6, so perhaps that model year has something strange going on.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The auto and A/C needs to be on as the previous posts mentioned. I asked my dealer about this aince during the brutal winter my front windshield fogged up much more than my previous Lexus(s). They told me that if I have press the button to have the outside air circulating rather having the cabin air recirculate this will greatly reduce the humidity inside the car which will help solve the fogging problem. Low and behold it helped greatly.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
The auto and A/C needs to be on as the previous posts mentioned. I asked my dealer about this aince during the brutal winter my front windshield fogged up much more than my previous Lexus(s). They told me that if I have press the button to have the outside air circulating rather having the cabin air recirculate this will greatly reduce the humidity inside the car which will help solve the fogging problem. Low and behold it helped greatly.
Keep in mind that Audi's "recirculate" button is for AUTO recirculate. Enable it once, set the auto recirculate option in your MMI and never touch it again.

As NVThs1 was saying, Audi's system is so good that they could literally remove all the controls for the climate system and I wouldn't miss them. In many ways, I wish that were possible since most people continue to be under the impression that an air conditioner blows colder when set to 65 rather than 75, and that the heat is hotter when set to 85 as well.

One feature that I do want Audi to add is detection of skin temperature (by IR) rather than just checking the air temperature and humidity in that quadrant of the car. Then, it would also know if I "felt" cold or hot and they could seriously remove the controls.

I do love that Audi's are "draft-free." That is, if you set all the air vents to fully open, with the vents angled fully down, but in the left-right detent, the car won't generate a gust of hot or cold air. Each vent is individually controlled to cause a gradual climate change with the most effective amount of fan usage. On the A6 and A8, you can even set the footwell temperature to be a few points colder or hotter than the rest of your quadrant. Technically, Audi has 9-zone climate control (4 zones for the passenger's bodies, 4 for the footwells, 1 for the front windshield), and of course each is monitored for humidity as well as temperature.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

It's only a matter of time before these vehicles start to monitor your bodily functions. I can envision in the not too distant future, the MMI will complain you need to lose weight, exercise more frequently and eat better. It will know when you're tired, if you're not feeling well and eventually, will provide advice on systemic treatments and will book your next doctor's appointment. All before you arrive at McDonald's.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Settings