Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Climate Control Settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's only a matter of time before these vehicles start to monitor your bodily functions. I can envision in the not too distant future, the MMI will complain you need to lose weight, exercise more frequently and eat better. It will know when you're tired, if you're not feeling well and eventually, will provide advice on systemic treatments and will book your next doctor's appointment. All before you arrive at McDonald's.
I'd be happy if it could keep track of how full my bladder is and correlate that with the rest stops listed in the nav.
"It is highly recommended that you exit at the next rest stop."
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically, that's possible, with IR imaging, but I think it would be a bit to personal to have the DIS flash "anticipating rear passenger needs to #1 in 12 minutes" and have a running countdown. However, it WOULD be cool if the car would eject the seat when the countdown reaches 0...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 PM
HDK
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I'm missing something in the OP's question you can manually direct airflow to either the footwells, face level or defroster...just push the three buttons below the fan speed control. You can choose one or all three (although choosing all three would probably be equivalent to auto mode). At least this is what I do on my '12 Premium Plus. I did like the system on my C6 slightly better however.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

"....climate control with the independent temperature zones."

Forgive my somewhat crude comment, but all the hype about independent driver and passenger temperatures always makes me laugh. I can't help thinlking that this is like saying that there is a "none peeing part of the swimming pool."
Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think you can reasonably expect a significant temperature differential between zones, but I think that some variation is possible.

Case in point: My young son played with the temp controls in the back and the next grown-up passenger complained that it was really hot back there. I was doing just fine in front, but discovered he had upped the temperature about 20F in the back.

A cold passenger could also direct hot air into their zone. It will eventually heat the entire car, but at least the driver doesn't have to put up with the effects of hot, blowing air.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It Ain't Necessarily So

Originally Posted by Westchesterrick
"....climate control with the independent temperature zones."

Forgive my somewhat crude comment, but all the hype about independent driver and passenger temperatures always makes me laugh. I can't help thinlking that this is like saying that there is a "none peeing part of the swimming pool."
Your metaphor is very appropriate. However, note that if you're on one end of the pool and the rug rat...errr...source of the undesirable liquid is on the other, that it takes a while before it disperses enough to reach you.

A better analogy is there's a rug rat on one end of the pool, but on your end, fresh water is pouring in, and there's a drain that is keeping the pool from overflowing.

Unless your car is in recirculate mode or the climate control is completely OFF, fresh air will always be pushed in by the vents, while stale air is evacuated from the cabin due to pressure leakage into the trunk area.

Do the experiment. Start the car with AUTO on for all zones. Ensure that ALL vents are facing toward the floor and centered (there's a detent you'll find between left/right). Also ensure that all of the vents are fully opened.

Set one zone to 84 degrees (NOT HI or LO). Set another to 64 degrees (again NOT HI or LO). Set the remaining ones in the middle somewhere. Give the car about five minutes to adapt. The fan speeds will moderate as it reaches equilibrium.

Sit in the hottest area. Note that it will feel quite warm. Re-enter the car and sit in the coldest zone. Give the car five minutes (or until the fans have slowed). Note that it will feel much cooler than the first area.

Seriously, it works. The more distance between the zones, the better.

It's as though you have an air conditioner and a heater blowing into your home. A one foot radius around the air conditioner will always feel cool, but moderate as you move toward the heater. A one foot radius around the heater will always feel warm, but will moderate as you move toward the A/C.

In the A8, you can set the footwell temperature. It's great to have my feet all nice and toasty while I'm breathing cool air.

Add in the heated/ventilated seats and, if you can't get comfortable, it's not Audi's fault!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I should further mention...that's the reason why you need to keep the vents centered and facing the floor. The climate model is built with knowledge of the air flow effect with those physical settings. The car is not smart enough to figure things out if you have the passenger's side vent aimed at the driver or one of the vents closed.

One more thing: remember that the rear of most Audi's has two vents in the center, and two on the outside. The outside vents should face fully inward (not toward the window) and be centered along the top-bottom axis.

Try it and report back...
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
.In the A8, you can set the footwell temperature. It's great to have my feet all nice and toasty while I'm breathing cool air.
In the C7 A6 (at least the Prestige level, unsure about other levels) it is also possible to adjust the desired temperature of the footwell. As you said, it's great to keep the feet toasty but not overheat the upper body.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Grapeking
In the C7 A6 (at least the Prestige level, unsure about other levels) it is also possible to adjust the desired temperature of the footwell. As you said, it's great to keep the feet toasty but not overheat the upper body.
How can you adjust the foot temp to be warm and the upper temp to be cooler?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
How can you adjust the foot temp to be warm and the upper temp to be cooler?
Via the MMI. There is an option (off the top of my head I don't recall exactly which one) but it allows you to customize, using the MMI ****, the temperature of the footwell airflow relative to the general temperature setting (I hope that made sense). It is very easy to do. IMHO this is a very nice 'hidden feature' for our cars.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Settings