Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

color

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went black on black and am LOVING it. I was gonna do the beige interior, but that didn't wow me once I saw it in person. But this is so speculative....you might as well be asking, what music do you prefer.

I have seen some of the pics on the sticky thread that I think are awesome. And going through that helped me select exactly what I wanted. I would look through there to fine tune what you want. And then don't look back. Unless of course, it is at a BMW trying to keep up.

Side note, first day on the road with my car, a Corvette tried to race. I didn't race cause I couldn't stop laughing. Let the good times roll!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had two A6's in brilliant black. I found the color hard to keep free of swirls and after a few washings seemed to lose luster no matter how often it was polished and waxed. My current A8 is phantom black and as noted by fellow posters, it is far superior. In bright light the purple, green, blue and silver metallic elements make it your best choice.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DRCHA6
I've had two A6's in brilliant black. I found the color hard to keep free of swirls and after a few washings seemed to lose luster no matter how often it was polished and waxed. My current A8 is phantom black and as noted by fellow posters, it is far superior. In bright light the purple, green, blue and silver metallic elements make it your best choice.
How is it with the swirl marks? I'm coming from a B8 Avant in BB, and IMO, when it's detailed there's nothing else that even comes close. It will
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DRCHA6
How is it with the swirl marks? I'm coming from a B8 Avant in BB, and IMO, when it's detailed there's nothing else that even comes close. It's a head turner. Unfortunately, that's only for the first 30min and 5 miles after detailing. Seriously considering phantom this time simply for the swirl marks. Really want a dark pewter gray like I saw on a new Q7 but no way I'm paying $2,500 for it :/
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iaonbb
How is it with the swirl marks? I'm coming from a B8 Avant in BB, and IMO, when it's detailed there's nothing else that even comes close. It's a head turner. Unfortunately, that's only for the first 30min and 5 miles after detailing. Seriously considering phantom this time simply for the swirl marks. Really want a dark pewter gray like I saw on a new Q7 but no way I'm paying $2,500 for it :/
I'm unsure as to why the brilliant black was so difficult to keep up though it seemed in both A6's, the clear coat was "soft" and allowed for fine scratches and swirls to show. Like you, the detailing lasts days at best. I do detail the phantom black with Turtle Wax Black Box, a kit that contains a cleaner, a swirl/scratch cover and a black wax. Despite time and elbow grease, it didn't help for long on the brilliant but does well for a long time on the phantom. As with any black, swirls are inevitable but of all the black cars I've owned, the phantom seems to be the most resistant. Admiitedly, gray is one of the best colors to hide swirls but in my opinion nothing beats black.