Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Copying Music to SD Card

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SD card music sounds better than Bluetooth

Not a double-blind test by any means, but my wife and I agree that when the same song is played by SD card from iTunes it sounds better than when played from pre-downloaded MOG via iPhone and Bluetooth.

From an audiophile site my two favorite quotes:

1. Anybody that is remotely serious about having "quality sound" would never use any current wireless technology. If you want the convenience of not having a cord and don't care about sound quality, then BT is for you. If you actually care about quality, this is not even a remote consideration.

2. I think in a car it's crazy to consider audio quality (beyond a basic level of course). You're in a metal and glass box with TONS of ambient noise. The only reason we listen to music in the car because we have to be in the car to get where we're going.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cagambler
The music is all from CDs. I've imported it into iTunes using Apple Lossless, which Audi doesn't support. To put it on the SD card, I converted it to AAC/MPEG-4 with the .m4a extension.

This is all related to trying to play music at as high a quality level as possible. My substitute idea until I can get the SD card to work was to use the car's wi-fi hotspot and the MOG music streaming service. If the MOG is streaming over wi-fi, it comes in at 320mbps and then I could use the Bluetooth connection to play it through the MMI. The flaw in that concept was that the T-Mobile wi-fi isn't fast enough to keep MOG from constantly buffering the songs it is streaming.

Other disappointing solutions would be to download MOG music ahead of time on my faster home wi-fi; or to show my age by just playing my CDs in the car.
If you are after the best sound quality your best option really is to just use an iPod with the wired connection and keep your music in the Apple Lossless format. This is also probably the easiest way for you, too... because you already have your library stored in that format.

While it is true that the iPod's internat DA convertor is not the greatest, the limitation of the Audi MMI to only accept lossy-compressed audio formats is of more concern.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a double-blind test by any means, but my wife and I agree that when the same song is played by SD card from iTunes it sounds better than when played from pre-downloaded MOG via iPhone and Bluetooth.

From an audiophile site my two favorite quotes:

1. Anybody that is remotely serious about having "quality sound" would never use any current wireless technology. If you want the convenience of not having a cord and don't care about sound quality, then BT is for you. If you actually care about quality, this is not even a remote consideration.

2. I think in a car it's crazy to consider audio quality (beyond a basic level of course). You're in a metal and glass box with TONS of ambient noise. The only reason we listen to music in the car because we have to be in the car to get where we're going.
I agree as well. Bluetooth A2DP audio is still compressed 'on-the-fly', usually with the SBC codec at 345 kbps.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Be aware that any Protected AAC iTunes songs purchased through iTunes before Apple went to DRM free a few years ago, will not play from the card. The only workaround is to subscribe to iTunes Match to receive copies of those songs that have the DRM encryption removed.
I am having an issue with a *few* songs from my library that show up in MMI, but will not play and are instead grayed out after attempting play. These are NOT protected, but are Purchased AAC via iTunes Match. The file type and bit rate are all within spec (256 Kbps, 44.1 kHz). Other songs with the same specs play just fine. Seems very random. Anyone else having similar issues?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vizwiz
I am having an issue with a *few* songs from my library that show up in MMI, but will not play and are instead grayed out after attempting play. These are NOT protected, but are Purchased AAC via iTunes Match. The file type and bit rate are all within spec (256 Kbps, 44.1 kHz). Other songs with the same specs play just fine. Seems very random. Anyone else having similar issues?
From which source? SD card, Jukebox, USB device, all? If it doesn't play on one source, have you tried the song on another?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quick related question.

I have had my music library all set up since I bought the car almost a year ago copying the folders from Itunes like described above). I now have some new music I would like to add, some are different artists - some existing artists although none are in Itunes

I haven't tried this yet - but if I copy the new music to a new SD card (following the same folder structure which I created on my PC - not from Itunes which I no longer use) I assume the MMI will integrate these nicely? Or am I wrong?

I am particularly curious about the existing artists - will the MMI create a duplicate folder for the new music adds (so two Springsteen folders for example) - or as long as they are named the same, will it merge the new files into the existing folder?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a response from Audi on my problems copying MP3s from an SD card into my Jukebox:

"I do regret that you are experiencing concerns when importing files to your Jukebox from an SD card. I recommend checking the following:
• Make sure that the files you are trying to import are MP3 files.
• Make sure that you are using a 32 GB (or smaller, but not larger than 32 GB) SD card.
• Make sure that the SD card you are using is class 4 or higher.
• Try compressing your MP3 files to a bit rate of 160 kbit/s.

If all of the above specifications have been met, and you are still experiencing concerns with some of your music files being cut off, I recommend trying an MMI reset (press and hold the menu button, the center control ****, and the top right key next to the center control **** simultaneously until the MMI shuts off, then you may let go and the MMI system will reboot). After the MMI reset, try importing or playing the files directly from the SD card again. If this trouble-shooting step does not resolve the concern, my next recommendation would be to seek out the assistance of your authorized Audi dealership. "
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

The truth is that car audio can achieve outstanding quality. It's not as easy to accomplish because of the exact limitations mentioned above, but it's still possible. Personally, I'd rather listen to music in my car than just about anywhere else.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Quick related question.

I have had my music library all set up since I bought the car almost a year ago copying the folders from Itunes like described above). I now have some new music I would like to add, some are different artists - some existing artists although none are in Itunes

I haven't tried this yet - but if I copy the new music to a new SD card (following the same folder structure which I created on my PC - not from Itunes which I no longer use) I assume the MMI will integrate these nicely? Or am I wrong?

I am particularly curious about the existing artists - will the MMI create a duplicate folder for the new music adds (so two Springsteen folders for example) - or as long as they are named the same, will it merge the new files into the existing folder?

Thanks
If you play the songs directly off the SD card, the MMI will show you the folder structure and filenames exactly as you put them.

If you import the songs to the jukebox, the MMI will read the tags inside the files and organize everything so you can navigate by artist, album, title, genre, rating, etc. Therefore, it is important that all of your songs are tagged with this info (plus the track number). The folder structure and filenames are actually irrelevant because you won't see them in the jukebox.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kaorisdad
Here is a response from Audi on my problems copying MP3s from an SD card into my Jukebox:

"I do regret that you are experiencing concerns when importing files to your Jukebox from an SD card. I recommend checking the following:
• Make sure that the files you are trying to import are MP3 files.
• Make sure that you are using a 32 GB (or smaller, but not larger than 32 GB) SD card.
• Make sure that the SD card you are using is class 4 or higher.
• Try compressing your MP3 files to a bit rate of 160 kbit/s.

If all of the above specifications have been met, and you are still experiencing concerns with some of your music files being cut off, I recommend trying an MMI reset (press and hold the menu button, the center control ****, and the top right key next to the center control **** simultaneously until the MMI shuts off, then you may let go and the MMI system will reboot). After the MMI reset, try importing or playing the files directly from the SD card again. If this trouble-shooting step does not resolve the concern, my next recommendation would be to seek out the assistance of your authorized Audi dealership. "
These suggestions from Audi are not complete or accurate.

First, MP3 files are but one of several audio formats that are supported:
mp3 - MPEG 1/2 Layer 3
wma - asf - Windows Media Audio 8 and 9
m4a, m4b, AAC - MPEG 2-4

Second, although the manual states up to 32GB cards are supported, there have been many reports of 64GB SDHC cards being used successfully.

Third, the bit rate supported is up to max 320 kbit/s and 48khz sampling. Suggesting reducing the bit rate makes no sense.

Fourth, good luck with help from your dealer on this issue as suggested. They generally don't have a clue when it comes to these types of problems.

Quick Reply: Copying Music to SD Card