Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

CPO A6 3.0T Reasonable Price

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CPO A6 3.0T Reasonable Price

Hi,

I'm considering a dealer loaner. The dealer is still preparing it, and hasn't set a price yet, but I'm expecting a call this week with that information.

I'm wondering what a reasonable price for this car would be:

The Car is as basic an A6 3.0T that can be found (no additional cost items, zero cost colors)

2016 Ibis Wt on Atlas beige, A6 3.0T, Premium Plus, CPO, 9000 miles (no options).

This car MSRP (new) is $58.3 (incl. destination fee).
If I were to purchase brand new (0 miles but no CPO warranty), I could probably get it for $51.4 (?).

I've done some price research. My guess is that they will ask $51k, and a reasonable selling price would be $47k, give or take. Does this seem in the ballpark?

The one errant data point I have is Shadowcar (member), who seems like he got a great deal on a very similar car recently. Given the equivalent 'deal', the car I'm considering would be $2000 - $3000 less. Shadowcar, if you are out there, I'd be interested in your purchase story.

Thanks a bunch!!

Last edited by lardog; 12-13-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lardog
The one errant data point I have is Shadowcar (member), who seems like he got a great deal on a very similar car recently. Given the equivalent 'deal', the car I'm considering would be $2000 - $3000 less. Shadowcar, if you are out there, I'd be interested in your purchase story.
"Shadowcar" has not been online line since mid-November. Try sending a private message and a email will be sent.

AudiWorld Forums - View Profile: shadowcar
Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents are, if can you afford this car, go for a few options. The car is great itself, but a few extra features just sweetens this car. This is my second A6 (2012 Ibis white and now 2016 tornado Grey metallic). Ibis white is just a difficult car to keep clean and scratches show up randomly and easily. So 9k miles seems a bit high for dealer car now. I can only assume they might have abused the heck out of it.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I would have concerns with a buying a loaner, especially with 9K miles. Imagine if you bought a brand new A6 and loaned it out to 50 or more people over a few months before you were able to drive it. Then imagine all of those people were strangers and for the most part didn't care about breaking it in as you would. Finally, many of the loaners are also used as demos for potential owners, some of which really push it to see what it an do. Over and over.

I would rather go for a new one with the desired options and be able to break it in myself and drive it to last a few years. Or save some real money and purchase a low mileage, clean, one owner two or three year old CPO lease return.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would have concerns with a buying a loaner, especially with 9K miles. Imagine if you bought a brand new A6 and loaned it out to 50 or more people over a few months before you were able to drive it. Then imagine all of those people were strangers and for the most part didn't care about breaking it in as you would. Finally, many of the loaners are also used as demos for potential owners, some of which really push it to see what it an do. Over and over.

I would rather go for a new one with the desired options and be able to break it in myself and drive it to last a few years. Or save some real money and purchase a low mileage, clean, one owner two or three year old CPO lease return.
Plus one. Many people drive the loaner cars as though they stole them.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Plus one. Many people drive the loaner cars as though they stole them.
Of course there are exceptions....for example, when I steal a car I generally observe speed limits and such, mostly to avoid attention from the police.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, I'm happy with the deal I got. My car was more of a personal dealer management car than a loaner and it had 14K miles on it. I took a very hard look at it, did multiple test drives, one long one by myself and was happy with the car. On month number 3 now, with no issues. It seemed to me that the dealer made s mistake on the online price as the salesman seemed genuinely surprised at the price and they wouldn't budge an inch on it. I've had good luck with dealer cars in the past. Very happy with the car so far.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

When a dealer has a loaner car or a demo car they never seem to have them with the options that make the car worthy of being a luxury sport sedan. I have had loaner Audi's and none have the options that would make want this car over my one.
I recently got invited to drive a Cadillac ATS so I took them up on it. The car they gave me was new but base. To me, a Base Cadillac should be re-badged "Chevy".

I wonder what the economics are to having loaner and Demo cars filled with options? It would make me, for one, think about what I'm missing and that I would like to upgrade.

A few years ago I took my Acura RL in for a service and because I was considering an MDX, I asked if they had one with the options that I wanted as a loaner. They found one fully loaded and I had it for a few days, long enough for me to buy it.

If you take a A4 in for service then they should entice you with an A6 loaner. If you take your A6 in then they should give you an A8. The dealer could easily use this philosophy to upsell your car. Also, I would generate a data base of potential customers to whom this theory would apply, I.E. people whose lease end is getting close or owners who have a 4 or 5 year old car who have a history of upgrading or renewing on a cyclic basis.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think buying a used current model year is tough with most depreciation taking place in the first 2-3 years. Assuming you can get 5% off invoice is the price of the new car. You could probably offset CPO and 9K miles, as you can buy the extended warranty if you're really concerned. 5% off MSRP on the most basic 2016 look to be just under $55K (which I see some out there New 2016 Audi A6 For Sale | Springfield MO). Then you have to think you're second owner, and that also affects resale a bit.

Last thing, dealers usually have less wiggle room on used cars versus new cars, as they have back end incentives.

A few things to think about...
Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just my recent experience with a similar situation.
2013 A6 Prestige. Everything but the B&O and the Innovation package I think.
14.5k miles on the clock. CPO.
Dark Grey (Oolong Grey I think with Nougat interior).
$38.5k dealer price. It was originally $39.9k.

Quick Reply: CPO A6 3.0T Reasonable Price