Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

CPO Advantages

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:57 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default CPO Advantages

Thinking about a pre-owned low-mileage late model A6/S6. Buying Audi CPO has its advantages and usually the price reflects this by and additional 5-10% v. non-CPO. That being said there are several well equipped pre-owned low-mileage A6/S6 machines available from non-Audi high end dealers nationwide.
Any thoughts or experience with the validity of the dealer warranties or additional coverage from non-Audi sourced dealers?
Old 01-28-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just purchased a CPO SQ5. In Canada, the CPO fee added on top of the purchase price is $2700 + taxes.
The 300 point inspection that the tech has to sign off is extremely thorough.

With my vehicle, even though the mileage was low they had to replace the 21” tires, brake pads and wiper blades.
I got the invoice copies for those bits and pieces exceeding $3000 - so before I even make a CPO claim, I’ve already made my money back
CPO warranty has a $50 deductible in Canada per claim/invoice.

If your vehicle has left over warranty, the CPO doesn’t kick in until the factory warranty is over.
So I’m a firm believer in CPO cars.... this is my 4th.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I paid less then $2700 for 6 year extended warr on my 14 sq5.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

CPO is the cheapest way to buy an "extended warranty" 99% of the time, and the car is guaranteed to be in excellent condition. Any issue that you might find after purchase should have been caught with the CPO inspection, and the dealer can be held accountable to fix those issues. Often a CPO buy receives premium treatment in the service department (like loaner cars, good-will coverage for a repair, etc). Do you find value in that?

Buying an extended warranty from a 3rd party can offer an equally degree of protection to a CPO, but likely will cost more. In the end the ownerships can be near identical, but generally at a price difference....you have to decide how much a long warranty is worth or the premium car by an Audi dealer (if you have a good one near you). If they have little value to you being a non-CPO car is the way to go for you. In my experience CPO car warranties are generally worth every penny, but how long you keep the car and your ownership expectations may be different than mine.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not so sure about the premium treatment in the service department (like loaner cars, good-will coverage for a repair, etc because of a CPO. Again, a 6 year warr bought from Audi was less then $2700 for me at least. Hey, I'm just comparing and letting people know what's out there. I would always want a CPO when buying used but for some reason that the dealers didn't/couldn't/wouldn't explain, my 14 with less then 20k that was a lease return wasn't a CPO.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm pretty sure you are always going to have somewhat of a "premium" experience when you buy a CPO car from an Audi dealership. They certainly are going to go the extra mile for someone that purchased at their store and work towards building a long-term relationship. I worked for years at a high-line dealership, including as assistant service and parts manager. You better believe we gave considerations towards CPO buyers as opposed to some complete stranger that shows up with a used car we have never seen nor heard of. That doesn't mean non-CPO buyers are treated poor, but It's not hard to understand how a good relationship with the store you make your purchase at leads to a more "premium" experience...they have a vested interest in making you a customer for life. Who do you think gets more consideration for a good-will warranty adjustment, or picking up a car at the office, or getting a loaner car with an unexpected breakdown on the side of the road when the entire loaner fleet in service is currently out on the road....a CPO buyer that the store knows or the complete stranger who owns an Audi? It's all at the dealerships discretion...CPO owners for the win in these scenarios. Again, the importance or value you see in this is up to you, and how "good" of a dealership you have locally certainly plays a role in this. This isn't a firm rule of thumb, but often plays out in the real world and is one to consider....that's all I'm suggesting based on real-life experience.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a A6 2017 CPO yesterday with 6K miles. Dealer loaner. I researched cars and Audis a lot over the past year. One dealer told me that that CPO process (certifying it and providing the 2 extra years and 50K miles warranty) adds $1,700 USD to the cost. Another dealer offered me a new 2017 similarly equipped for $10K off the sticker. Why would I buy a new car that has half the warranty for $7K more than the one I bought? I let someone else take the first year depreciation hit and I get a 5 month old car with a longer warranty.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
I paid less then $2700 for 6 year extended warr on my 14 sq5.
Warranties come in different flavors... some cover just about everything. Others only cover certain components. Some have deductibles. Others don't.

What are the specifics of yours?
Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine is just like the fac warr. but you are right. The trick is to buy if before the fac runs out, not after when it all changes.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
Not so sure about the premium treatment in the service department (like loaner cars, good-will coverage for a repair, etc because of a CPO. Again, a 6 year warr bought from Audi was less then $2700 for me at least. Hey, I'm just comparing and letting people know what's out there. I would always want a CPO when buying used but for some reason that the dealers didn't/couldn't/wouldn't explain, my 14 with less then 20k that was a lease return wasn't a CPO.
I don''t like to speculate, but in this case I will. Relating to why no cpo on your machine, the cpu in the machine was compromised, tuned at some point in its life, then detuned when the owner sold/traded the machine. .02

Quick Reply: CPO Advantages